Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by stim » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:50 pm

I got to the beach on a lovely sunny day March 9. Sat on the bench near the nest tree. The nest did not appear occupied, but what did occur was an adult, looking like Pa, flew in from the far end of the beach, circled above the nest tree and flew back in the direction he had come from. Checking on Mom and eggs or young deep down in the nest? Hmmmm, will keep checking!

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by stim » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:29 pm

Back to the beach March 17. No eagles could be seen nor heard but I'm not discounting the possibility of one down deep on eggs. I'm not giving up on our Chaster couple yet.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:00 pm

I haven't been past the nest for a while but went for a walk along the beach with our dog this afternoon so stopped in at the nest to see if there was any activity. And there was :-)

When I first got there and looked I could see an adult in the nest, possibly rearranging some small twigs/branches ?

I then left on our walk, while walking along the beach towards Chaster Park an adult eagle flew by heading in the same direction. I couldn't see where s/he went though due to the trees. After a while I doubled back along the beach heading the other direction and after getting back onto the road could see an adult flying towards the nest tree, then two were briefly flying by the tree before one then headed off towards Chaster Park direction and the other into the nest. Not sure if this was a change of guard or a food drop off as I couldn't quite see what was happening. But there was definitely something happening at the nest which is good news :-)

Sad news re the A42s though Heather, apparently Surf (A66) hasn't been seen for several months now and when last seen in January was not in good condition. He wasn't with the pod when it visited here in February :-(

Karen H

DSC_1125-1.JPG
Adult in the nest when I first arrived, from the picture there appears to be a small branch/twig in the beak
DSC_1161-1.JPG
After I could see the two adults flying next to the tree this adult landed and went into the nest. Possibly one was leaving the nest as the other came in ?
DSC_1168-1.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:19 pm

Thank you for news of activity in and around the nest Karen! I was there for a while March 9 and saw no activity. Hopefully I'll get back soon!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:37 am

Thanks for the updates Karen. On the eagles and the Orca! I'm glad to hear that the eagles seem to be busy with eggs or young! :)

Thats concerning news about Surf. :cry: I think there was another male A94 travelling with the family for a while who is also no longer there so perhaps they are off somewhere together :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:04 pm

Thanks for the updates Karen. I always enjoy reading about our eagles and orcas we are so lucky to be able to observe them. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:09 am

Visited the nest again yesterday. No activity, no white heads in the nest seen. I didn't stay to determine if any would appear. That's for another day. :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:58 pm

After the rain finally stopped and the sun came out yesterday afternoon I headed out with our dog for a walk along the beach at Bonniebrook, doing a check in at the nest while we were there. When I first arrived there was an adult in the nest looking out, then moving around and changing position and looking down into the nest, before settling back down into the nest.

While walking along the beach, going past the nest heading towards Chaster Park direction, I looked back and up at the nest in time to see an adult perched on a branch beside the nest before it quickly flew off heading Chaster Park direction, and from where I was standing could see that there was still an adult in the nest. No idea if there was a change of duty or a food drop off ? But there were definitely two adults at the nest. So hopefully promising.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_2445-1.JPG
Adult looking from the nest when I first arrived
DSC_2450-1.JPG
Looking down into the nest
DSC_2454-1.JPG
Settling back down into the nest, eventually settling back down so that only the head was visible again

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:35 am

Definitely nesting behaviour Karen! Looks like we most likely have babies! :luck:
Thank you!

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:56 am

Sounds good that you saw the 2 eagles Karen.
A few days ago we drove by the Chaster nest tree but I wasn't able to check the nest maybe one was in it. Fingers crossed that we have a successful season.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat May 13, 2023 9:27 am

I got down to the nest yesterday, May 13, around 2:00 pm. No activity noticed at all. I sat with camera ready for about half an hour. :(

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri May 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Finally got back to the nest May 23rd while taking our dog for a walk along the beach. When I arrived Pa was in the nest, then hopped over to the perch branch, where he was when I set off walking after watching the nest for a while to see if any eaglets made an appearance. There was an adult in the tall thin tree at the end of Ocean Beach Esplanade, so thinking possibly Ma ? Once I finished the walk, checked back in at the nest and Pa was back in the nest but then flew off heading towards Chaster Park. No sign of eaglets yet, but hopefully with Pa being in the nest there is a youngster or two in there.

Karen H

DSC_4747-2.JPG
Pa in the nest
DSC_4751-2.JPG
Getting ready to hop over to the perch branch
DSC_4754.-2JPG.jpg
And off he goes

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 pm

A few more pictures from the May 23rd visit.

Karen H

DSC_4756-2.JPG
Pa's band showing once he landed on the perch branch
DSC_4759-2.JPG
Adult in the tall thin tree at the end of the road
DSC_4761-2.JPG
Pa back in the nest before flying off towards Chaster Park

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sat May 27, 2023 7:45 am

Hi Karen, good you saw activity at the Chaster nest on your visit. We'll have to wait a little longer before we know if there are any eaglets.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat May 27, 2023 9:17 am

Awesome Karen! I did see Pa in the tree on or near his favourite perch branch, a brief sighting of a head in the nest May 24. Encouraging!

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”