Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Mushka

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by Mushka » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:54 pm

I stopped by the next this morning but no activity at the nest while I was there, or any eaglets peeking up over the nest. Though I did see an adult on the beach but couldn't get any pictures before he/she flew off heading towards Chaster Park, and then couldn't relocate.

Karen H

gemini
Admin

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by gemini » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:38 am

FLEDGEFEST 2023   

HANCOCK POTLUCK AND OPEN HOUSE
July 15 Sat:    10am to 5pm 

At the Hancock Residence, 19313 Zero Avenue, Surrey, BC
&
A selection of White Rock Eagle nests

For further details please click HERE

RSVP BY JULY 1, 2023

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:26 pm

Finally was able to get back to the nest on Wednesday, July 19th. Could not see any activity at the nest, anywhere along Ocean Beach Esplanade or the beach. But when leaving to head home spotted an adult eagle on the large rock on the beach that you can see going around the corner by Bonniebrook Lodge. I quickly stopped and took a picture from the vehicle but had to keep moving because vehicles were coming up behind me. By the time I turned around and went back the eagle was gone and two people were launching their kayaks right beside the rock. No sign of the eagle :-(

When I downloaded the picture I saw a band on the right leg, Pa Chaster ! Wondering if there was a fledgling somewhere near there I went back the next morning but could not locate either Pa Chaster or a fledgling though they could have moved. Interesting that Pa is still around though.

Karen Holland

DSC_9063-1.JPG
Perched on the large boulder on the beach by Bonniebrook Lodge
DSC_9063-2.JPG
Band on the right leg visible

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:54 am

Good information Karen.
One of my Stalashen eagles is around still.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:02 am

Good update Karen. Where there's Pa, there could be a new eaglet. :thumlft:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:31 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's that time of year - Vic at the White Rock nest fledged on July 12, and sibling Uni waited almost a week before fledging on July 18. Lof from Surrey Reserve is a week or so younger, and is beginning to get some height while flapping - I think it won't be long before we see her (or maybe him) trying out some of the branches! We know there's a chick at the Delta nest on the electrical tower, but without a cam, are not sure how close he or she is to fledging. We did lose an eaglet this year - brave, feisty Tyr from Surrey Reserve had some health and mobility issues but seemed to be doing okay although growing more slowly than most until suddenly he wasn't; I'll be adopting the Surrey nest for next year in memory of Tyr. :rh:

As I watch Lof moving around on the nest with wings held wide, I realize it will seem like just a hop, skip and a jump from now - and this year's eaglets will be off on their great adventure - and it will be time for us to get into as many nests as possible to clean the cams and do other needed maintenance.

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

We'll have more details soon, but I know we'd like to have the cams at Surrey Reserve cleaned (which will cost around $1000) and it would be wonderful if we could get a cam at Delta that looks at the nest the eagles are using, as well as continuing to keep an eye on the one we'd like them to use (estimated cost $5-6000). We focused on the cams at White Rock last year, so unless there's an issue, we probably will skip them this year and plan to focus on them next year. There's a chance for a new cam at Harrison Mills, but we think the eagles have moved, so would need to find them or decide to focus on the eagles that fish in the river. And there may be other cams in the works!

If we can raise $7,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at Surrey Reserve and Delta. And with the matching drive, if you adopt Delta 2, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500! Please note that adopting a nest is a sign of support for that nest, and we'll be using the funds where they are most needed - so please adopt White Rock if it's your favorite nest even though we probably won't need to do maintenance there this year - or adopt Harrison Mills, and we'll add your name there if we manage to get a camera there, or check with you a little later so you can choose to adopt a different nest or one of our tagged eagles with trackers.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest (or tagged eagle) you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:03 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive
Update

We have raised over $3,000 already - almost half way to our goal! Thank you all so much!

And another supporter has come forward and pledged to match the next $500 in donations - so if you've been planning to donate, today is a great day to do that!

We already have 12 adoptions (2 each for Delta 2 and Harrison Mills, 3 each for Surrey Reserve and White Rock, one for tagged eagle Loki, and one person has not sent me their choice of nest or tagged eagle yet) - and nest adoptions have traditionally been the core of our fundraising for maintenance on the cams - so if that will work for you, please adopt a nest! Or two! :D

But I know that doesn't work for everyone, so I want to mention another option - we also have a core group who have signed up for monthly donations - and that consistent income helps with things like the cost of this forum, with its 1435 members, 662,126 posts and 1.2 million screenshots and other attachments. Thanks to all of you who post here, our forum has amazing documentation on a whole lot of eagles, not to mention osprey and various other critters - mostly in North America, but some from Europe and even Australia!

We encourage people to use CanadaHelps for monthly donations (actually, it's a great choice for all donations to HWF, and you don't need to be in Canada to use it). For those unfamiliar with CanadaHelps, it's a registered charity in Canada whose mission is to help smaller charities with their fundraising by handling the administrative stuff. If you're in Canada, they provide tax receipts automatically - and it's easier for gemini and me as the ones who track donations because there's a place for people to leave a comment so we know if they have an interest in a particular nest or tagged eagle - or what nest they want to adopt, if that's appropriate. Monthly donations can be cancelled at any time - or increased! :thumlft:

We are grateful to all of you who post observations, screenshots and videos - without you, there would be no forum, and no resource looking into the lives of so many eagles (and other critters) - thank you! And what is that saying about those who do the most being the ones asked to do more - if you can help out by adopting a nest, or signing up for monthly donations, or whatever you're comfortable doing, we would really appreciate it. Thank you for your consideration.

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by gemini » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:44 am

This post marks the beginning of the 2024 season.

Mushka

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by Mushka » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:34 am

I have been going by the nest tree a few times a week while walking our dog and haven't seen any activity at the nest but have seen two adult eagles in the area once in a while. On March 5th I was walking and spotted an adult perched lowish in a tree in-between the large middle parking area and the nest tree so stopped to see if I could spot a leg band.

After a few minutes the eagle changed positions, fluffed up and lifted off, showing the band on right leg. Pa Chaster is still holding on to his territory !

Karen Holland

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_0022-1.JPG
DSC_0025-1.JPG
DSC_0030-1.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:26 am

Thank you for this Karen! The nest looks built up a bit more than when I was last there March 3.
So glad to see Pa is back! He just keeps on keeping on!!

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:12 am

Thanks for the update Karen good to see pics of Pa Chaster! :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

Updates from March 13 and March 18 visits. On March 13th finally saw two adults at the nest! And then today while getting out from our vehicle after parking by the mail boxes, I saw an adult flying in so quickly zoomed in with the camera in time to catch the action. After downloading the picture later I could see the band on the right leg, Pa Chaster. After landing he dropped down into the nest, moved around looking like he was going to settle down into the nest, came up again, then again looked like like he was going to settle into the nest. But then came up again and appeared to be moving (small branches?) around in the nest. Trying to get comfy ? Tidying up ? I set off to walk our dog and when we came back Pa was still in the nest looking out towards the water.

Karen H

DSC_0205-1.JPG
March 13th with the two adults perched beside the nest
DSC_0351-1.JPG
March 18th adult flying into the nest, zooming in you can see the band on the right leg
DSC_0365-0.JPG
March 18th spending some time rearranging the nest

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am

Thank you Karen! There could be eggs, or perhaps not yet. On a warm sunny day like yesterday the eggs can tolerate sun keeping them warm for short periods of time. Pa of course always has to rearrange!
I wonder if Ma left to find something to eat?

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 pm

While walking with our dog (Ice) along the road on Wednesday (March 27) I heard eagle screaming / calling start up. Looking back I could see an adult flying into where one was already perched in the stand of trees across from the middle parking area. The one flying in landed on the perched adult and all sorts of chatter calling went on for a while. I assumed mating was happening. Quickly took some pictures from a distance. After all went quiet and the one that had flew in, flew off again heading in the direction of the nest tree, I continued walking.

It wasn't until I downloaded the pictures that I realized that the eagle perched in the tree had a band (Pa Chaster) ? Was it possible the female had landed on his back ? I then started thinking that maybe a new female had moved in, with a band. After telling Sandra T in an email what I had seen she did some research and sent some information she found on the subject. And yes apparently sometimes female eagles also approach and mount their mates. Who knew :-)

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_0571-1.JPG
DSC_0580-1.JPG
DSC_0583-1.JPG

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:52 am

Wow. Thanks for the information Karen! Yes, I learned something today also good pictures. :D
David H had told me that last year Myles' was up here on the Sunshine Coast banding Ian B. observed an eagle near where he lives (Chapman nest) with two bands one on each leg and that was one that M. had banded.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”