Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2022

Post by stim » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Season 2022 can begin here.

We had a couple of cyclones blow through here in October with "atmospheric rivers" falling on us. This nest has absolutely no protection from the Strait of Georgia.

What's left of the nest on Oct 10/21.
6087Chasternestaftercyclones10-21.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2022

Post by stim » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:35 pm

Back down to the nest Feb 1. On reaching the middle parking area I could see an eagle perched in a leafless tree up to the right of the nest. By the time I got out of the car with camera, the eagle had left. Sadly the nest does not appear to have been worked on.
I could then see a white head in the perch tree way down the road so drove along and while driving could see another to my right of the perch tree.
I needed to turn around to park. Once having done so and out of the car with my camera the big eagle flew back up the road toward the nest with Pa following, both soaring beautifully along the road. I drove back, parked at the mailboxes but could only see the couple soar out over the water, Pa following the female. I lost them, was actually hoping for a bonding dive together but nope. At least they honoured me with their presence.
Much work to be done on the damaged nest.
6114Chaster2-1-22.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:55 pm

Feb 12 I returned to the nest to hear calling in a tree above the nest but near the mailboxes. I spied one eagle perched in a tree I've not seen them use before.
6130Chaster2.12.22 2.jpg
Calling continued, then I saw 2 eagles fly in together close to the eagle already there. Two white heads together on the right, one on the left.
6135-Chaster3intree2.12.22.jpg
I waited and waited, then started moving to get a better view. Next thing I knew I could only see 2 eagles. On the left you can see the beak, some white throat, tail of the lone eagle there. I'm pretty sure I could see mating occur behind the greenery. I have no idea where the 3rd eagle went.
6137Chaster2beforemating2.12.22.jpg
There wasn't even as much nest as there was my previous visit. I'm wondering if some territorial fighting occurred in what was left of last year's nest, reducing what was left there.
6142Chasternest2.12.22.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:45 pm

I returned here March 9 glad to see that the eagles have been busy nest building. People have reported seeing Pa with his ankle band so we know he survived any territorial dispute that may have involved him.
6192Chasternest3.9.2.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:44 pm

The nest surely did get built up quickly, and now with an eagle brooding, yesterday, March 29.
6255Chaster3.29.22.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:05 pm

After the last visit I posted, I saw both parents flying around, taking in food, feeding motion looking like it was going on. Beginning of April. Then after that there has been no sign of activity nor eagles when I've visited.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by stim » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:10 pm

This post marks the beginning of the 2023 season.

Activity in area of the nest early 2022. Three adults in the nest tree one day. Nesting activity seemed apparent March 2022, I saw what looked like brooding, delivery of food, feeding behaviour. Then nothing. Both eagles seemed to disappear. One did return Fall of 2022 but id of band on the Chaster male has not yet been confirmed.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by stim » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:28 am

I visited this nest in the rain Feb 12, 2023. No photos but I could see who looked like Pa Chaster sitting on his favourite branch beside the nest. Hopefully Ma was down deep on eggs or youngsters.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm

Our friend Karen Holland was at the beach with her dog Feb 16 just as both eagles flew in calling, landing on one of the trees in the park. Female first then Pa. Thankfully Karen got a photo of his leg band, first spotted in 2011. Same Pa, but there have been a few females through the years.
The next day she saw an eagle at the nest, still not signs of youngsters.
Attachments
DSC_9007-1.JPG
DSC_9024-1.JPG

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:39 pm

Thanks for the information Sandra. :)
Great pictures Karen!
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:12 pm

Thank you Sandra and Marg, so glad that his band was visible to confirm it was Pa Chaster.

Pa Chaster sure has his work cut out for him defending his territory and Ma Chaster. While I was standing on the beach off Chaster Park again with our dog on February 20th an adult eagle flying in quickly towards the park trees and screaming loudly caught my attention, two other adults were already screaming in the trees. It was very loud.

The adult flying in turned out to be Pa Chaster as his band was visible as he prepared to land in one of the trees. I couldn't see what was happening in the tree after he landed as it was too high and they were all hidden by branches, but it was very loud, Then suddenly two adults appeared, one was Pa the other the intruder. Pa drove the other adult up into the air and they briefly connected with their talons, before the intruder flew off followed closely by Pa through the trees behind the houses and out of sight. All the while Pa continued to scream.

After they both left the remaining eagle in the tree (assuming this to be Ma Chaster) kept screaming and calling for quite a while before quietening down. All in all it was a very intense and loud exchange between all three.

While I was still looking up at the tree a man came walking along the beach and said to me, there are orcas behind you! I turned around and sure enough a pod of orcas were approaching. Was a very exciting walk that day :-)

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_9084-1-5.JPG
Pa Chaster flying in quickly towards the trees screaming loudly
DSC_9088-2.JPG
Preparing to land, his band visible on the right leg
DSC_9091-2.JPG
After a loud exchange in the tree two adults appeared, Pa Chaster underneath driving the intruder up and connecting briefly with their talons

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:19 pm

A few more pictures from the February 20th visit posted above

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_9093-2.JPG
Pa Chaster still screaming as he prepares to follow the intruder through the trees and out of sight
DSC_9138-2.JPG
Four members of the pod of orcas that the fellow alerted me to, these are Northern Resident Orcas, A42s

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:25 am

Awesome sightings Karen, with great photos and coverage. Pa still has it in him! Thankfully this isn't all happening in the nest, tearing it apart with fighting!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Sounds like a very exciting visit Karen! Lots of competition for prime nest sites. :D And very cool that the A42s are back on their regular winter visit to the Coast. What a great encounter!
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:27 am

Sandra and Karen have either of you seen any activity in the nest not just rebuilding it?
Happy eagle watching. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”