Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Mushka

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by Mushka » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Finally! A youngster was in view when I stopped by. Late this afternoon I took a drive by the nest and parked up by the mail boxes, I could hear adult eagles calling and then when I checked the nest there he/she was :-) So at least one eaglet in the nest, on the right in the picture beside the mossy branch.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

NIK_2882.JPG

marg
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by marg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:58 am

Good news Karen! :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 am

Marvellous news. Well done Karen!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Great news Karen! Thanks both for sharing your observations on this nest.

I still haven't been down to see it yet. :( Hopefully some time soon :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

I dropped by here on June 26 around 2:30-3:00. Despite very low tide I could not see nor hear any eagle activity.
The tide was so low that the feeding rock was completely out of the water and swimmers were on a sandbar near it, a bit farther out! I don't ever recall seeing the tide so low.
I checked the top of the nest tree carefully with long lens and photos but did not see any moss on branches. That mossy piece in the nest has me baffled. :%: It doesn't take much to baffle me though.
4827.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:11 am

It would have been nice for you to see at least one eagle during your visit Sandra. I'm a bit confused about the mossy branch too, I don't think it came from the nest tree but seems rather large for it to be carried there. But may be a possibility ?

I stopped by late afternoon last Sunday (June 28), it was quite windy by the water so wasn't really expecting to see anyone home, but did see an adult perched on the curved branch which when I zoomed in on turned out to be Pa (could see his band). A short time later a head poked up from the nest, the eaglet. I waited for a while but the eaglet wasn't in any hurry to make much more of an appearance than that, probably a bit too windy.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_3349-1.jpg
Pa keeping watch
NIK_3363-1.jpg
Eaglet pokes his/her head up

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 am

Awesome pics Karen, and this time our youngster is on the moss not under it. The eagles often take in moss to line the nests and perhaps what is here is just a large piece of rolled up moss. If so, I'm sure the eaglet finds it more comfortable to be on it than under it! lol I do hope Pa isn't getting too confused in his older age.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:48 pm

That's what I was wondering too Sandra after the moss seemed to disappear, that it was a huge piece of moss laid across the nest. Hopefully Pa isn't getting confused :-)

I was walking along the beach yesterday with one of our dogs and as I went by looked up and saw the eaglet looking out (direction of the mailboxes) and then when we walked back along the beach saw the eaglet again, looking out towards the water. Did see one adult flying around and landing on some rocks further along the beach but didn't get any pictures, too far away.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_4216.JPG
Looking in the direction of the mail boxes
NIK_4235.JPG
Looking out towards the water

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:54 am

Thanks for the update Karen good to see the eaglet. ☺
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:04 am

Great photos Karen! I've been thinking a trip down might find an eaglet planning its first direction to fly from the nest. :woohoo: Must get down there soon!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am

I was at the nest site on Wed July 29. No sign of an eaglet but I did find an adult perched in one of the trees near the first parking lot. If you stand at the parking lot looking toward the nest tree it will be the last tree of the collection there. If this is our Pa, there could still be an eaglet around.
4995.jpg
I feel a bit uncomfortable about the hole in the nest. On looking back, see it was there when you found the youngster in the nest Karen. Hopefully it doesn't go all the way up into the nest interior.
4989.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am

Hi Sandra, maybe but maybe not. I still see both Ma & Pa through the telescope in the Stalashen nest tree. :dunno:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:08 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:05 pm

We have a fledge of 1 eaglet at this nest! :woohoo: Karen informed me Aug 5 that a youngster was perched along the beach and that Pa was in another tree nearby. I went right down and about 1/2 an hour later there the eaglet still was! I saw an adult fly out of a tree and when looking for it found Pa on his bent branch beside the nest. Every year he stays behind with the fledgling(s). He flew away before I could get a photo of him.
I've been waiting for Karen to post any photos she has before I did but decided to just do it!

I took the opportunity to get a photo of the underside of him, something we don't always see.
5031.jpg
Some photos of our youngster looking regal perched over the beach.
5014.jpg
5017.jpg
As the wind blew the back of his head I was surprised to see how white the head feathers are under the brown.
5023.jpg
Have a long fulfilled life dear one. :hug:

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by stim » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:37 pm

THIS IS WHERE OUR NEXT NEST SEASON STARTS 2020-2021.

Karen got a photo of a male flying within the nest territory towards the end of Sept but there was no band so possibly not Pa. I went down a day or 2 later and as I arrived saw a male eagle fly to shore near me and near where the fledgling was photographed this summer. Closest parking was at the middle parking area and by the time I got back to the tree with my camera it was gone.

Nest from the front end of Sept. 2020
5095.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”