Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by stim » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 am

I'm wondering if Pa's now senior age is preventing him from being as active in mating as he once was? Marvellous that you got his band in your photos Karen! Great discovery!

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by stim » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:01 pm

I sent the 3 images of mating to David H.
This is his reply:

SANDRA & KAREN: -- GOOD STUFF. It looks like a female on the bottom = banded. I take the size and behaviour of birds to be the normal -- male on top, female below. If you were thinking the male previously had a band -- I would wonder if this is another pair. Sure like more images. Generally male is smaller but could be big male and small female - if you think the size is reversed in this pair.

Sure would be great to get someone to get 20 images from different angles so we could decipher the band number -- or even some of the numbers.
thanks
david

Karen, we may well have 2 nesting couples at Chaster. I recall your seeing 3 eagles in a kerfuffle a month or 2 ago near where you saw this mating occur? Sandra

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:08 pm

Humm, interesting. I wonder if there are two pairs. But both with a banded partner ? The one flew off back towards the nest tree, which is the direction it came from. So assume these two are using the established nest.

I remember about the kerfuffle a few months ago but it was Angela who had witnessed it happening (I did pass it on to you in an email though) and I believe it happened at Chaster Park. But will confirm with her next time I see her, we run into each other quite frequently when walking there.

As for getting 20 pictures of the band to try and decipher the band numbers, will try. But unless this is a new banded adult I had taken multiple pictures of the band on Pa Chaster and there was no way to decipher the numbers as the etching was so faint. If this is a new banded adult though the band might be newer and the numbers might be more visible. That might be the way to know if in fact this is a new banded adult.

Karen H

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:34 am

:thumlft: I'll try to get down there more frequently, eyes all along the way for another nest.
Thanks Karen!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:09 am

I got to the nest site yesterday, spent over half an hour there and the whole time there was a white head visible on the nest. No calling, no sign of the second eagle but definitely an adult caring for eggs or wee chicklets.
It's amazing to watch people continuously walk under the nest, totally unaware of its presence.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:43 pm

Nothing new to report. Stopped by on April 13th and everything was much the same as your visit Sandra. A white head in the nest and no sign of the second eagle. But I did wonder what the adult in the nest thought of the two people paragliding overhead next to the nest tree.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_5800-1.JPG
DSC_5815-1.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:42 am

Wow, great capture of our Coastline activity Karen!
My guess is we have a hatch or 2! :woohoo: That eagle is sitting higher than last week, left wing and tail feathers obvious!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm

A quick check at the nest this morning showed one adult in the nest. At first I thought both adults might be in there but think only one ?

No other activity, I couldn't stay long so just took a quick picture. Hoping for another visit soon when I can stay and watch longer.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_0237-1.JPG

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 am

Thanks for posting the picture Karen good to see. :)
I went by a week ago but wasn't able to spot the nest tree. :dunno:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 am

It's hard to tell if there are 1 or 2 adults in the nest! The position of that wing tip as well as tail look a bit distant from the head to me. I like to think of them belonging to an adult in feeding mode, as in feeding young. :dunno:

And Marg, the nest tree has its own address. I'll check to see if it is still posted by the driveway. :luck:

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”