Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Mushka

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by Mushka » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:41 am

On Saturday (August 14th) the eaglet was once again perched just outside the nest, not fully visible from the mailboxes at the top of the hill I walked down (with one of our dogs) onto the beach and took a few pictures from there and then from the bottom of the hill looking back at the nest.

Sunday (August 15th) while walking past the nest again I could see the eaglet in the nest, possibly eating, on the way back he/she was once again perched just outside the nest on the same branch.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_5942-1.jpg
Looking up from the beach
DSC_5959-1.jpg
Taken from the bottom of the hill, looking back at the nest

JudyB
Admin

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:05 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking lately about how wonderful things can come in small packages - mighty eagles like these:
arrived in little packages like this:
(The adults are from French Creek, our newest nest, and the tiny chicks are Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve being fed by Mom Res)

I'm also reminded of how small the window is for us to visit the nests and clean the cams while the eagles are away.

I have been focused on nest adoptions - but equally important are the smaller donations that may not be able to do that much all by themselves - but when they join with other donations, they can be mighty! I was outdoors yesterday during a fairly short but very powerful rainstorm - and it was amazing what all those little drops of water could do when they worked together!

We are only about halfway to our goal of $10,000 towards getting as many of our cams as possible cleaned this summer - and if everyone who reads this was able to donate $25 or $50 (or a bit more if possible) - I think we'd reach our goal.

A big
Thank You!
to all who have donated,
and to our wonderful zoomer teams,
and to all who help in other ways,
posting observations, screenshots, videos, and so much more.

PS - Donations are still being matched - the first $1000 pledge was quickly matched, but I have not been doing a good job of reminding people that there was a second pledge of $500, and so far we've only matched half of that. So at least the next $250 in donations will be matched.

Please help us clean the cams before the eagles return.

Click Here to Donate

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Compiling a few visits in this post . . . . on August 16th and 18th the eaglet was again perched just outside the nest when I walked by, doing a bit of wing flapping and then preening each time.

On August 22nd I couldn't see or hear the eaglet but there was an adult perched on the curved branch beside the nest, mainly preening and then just looking out. I couldn't locate the eaglet in any trees nearby or hear any calling but the waves were quite loud and probably drowned out any calling if there was any.

Today (August 23rd) when I stopped by all was quiet, I couldn't see or hear any eaglet in or around the nest or see any adult close by. Wonder if they left ? Or maybe just not in sight at the time I was there. I didn't go right to the end of the road though so there is a chance the eaglet went that way instead of heading towards Chaster Park and could still be around.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_6940-1.jpg
Adult perched next to the nest on August 22nd, no eaglet in sight at the time

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:30 am

Hi Karen thanks for the pictures. I would imagine that the eaglet has fledged. :D Safe travels little one.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:32 pm

Now I'm not sure what's happening Marg, went back this morning around 9:30 am and as I was driving along towards the nest tree could see an adult perched on the curved branch beside the nest, but by the time I went to the end of the road and turned around the adult had left. I located it further down the road in a tree that they like to perch in, near the larger pullout parking area with a washroom.

So one of the adults is still around, but I couldn't locate the eaglet anywhere, or hear any calling. But he/she must be in the trees somewhere I'd think for an adult to be still there. If I zoom in closely onto one of the pictures it looks like there is a band on the right leg (Pa Chaster) even though the picture is quite grainy when zoomed in, bad time for my large zoom lens to be away being repaired otherwise it would be a much clearer shot.

Karen H

DSC_6981-1.jpg
Adult that was originally perched next to the nest when I first drove by, now further down the road in a favourite perch tree
DSC_5970.jpg
Same tree but picture taken from the beach while I was trying to locate the youngster

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:29 pm

I visited Aug 21 to find our youngster sitting up in the nest. Pa was on the old perch tree at the far end of the road. He flew toward the nest tree, disappeared in greenery on the upside close to the nest. Our eaglet hop flapped out of the nest onto a branch beside it and sat for a while. At least it was out of the nest! No crying for food.
Photos wouldn't attach properly for me.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:16 pm

I visited yesterday to find our eaglet in a tree on the upside of the nest tree. Photo was taken about mid way from parking area with washroom access, to the nest tree. While I was there it flew back to the nest tree, perched for a short while. On leaving I found it back in the same spot in the adjacent tree. Enlarge by clicking on photo.
DSC_5892.JPG

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Good to hear the eaglet is still around. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:08 pm

Finally caught up with the eaglet this morning, he/she was perched in a tree on the beach almost just below the nest tree. Did a few short flights between trees and appeared to be not going too far, had a bit of a wobbly and unsteady landing in one tree.

While I was watching, a turkey vulture came by and started flying low and swooping past the eaglet, the eaglet seemed a bit concerned about the turkey vulture and let out a few calls/cries before flying to another tree. This went on for a few minutes, with the turkey vulture swooping past the eaglet before eventually landing on the beach, but then left after a few minutes.

I walked down to the end of the beach and saw an adult in the perch tree at the end, I'm assuming Pa ? The adult let out a few calls while I was there so maybe communicating with the youngster ? Or trying to entice him/her further down the beach ?

After I walked back to the area where I last saw the eaglet I noticed he was again perched in the tree just below the nest tree and managed to get a picture before he did another short flight. As I walked along I saw what the turkey vulture, and possibly the eaglet were interested in, the body of a Canada goose which was laying quite close to the tree. So maybe why the eaglet wasn't going far ? The goose was lying on the beach but quite close to the bank / road so not an easy spot for either bird to land with people and vehicles going by.

Karen H

DSC_7294-1.jpg
Eaglet perched in a tree on the beach below the nest tree
DSC_7310-1.jpg
Flying between trees
DSC_7318-1.jpg
Adults (about half way down) in the perch tree at the end of the road

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:13 am

Thanks for the interesting update and pictures Karen. :D
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm

I'm way behind in posting photos of this nest. This is our youngster posing for me Aug. 21.
5875.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:40 pm

August 29 was a lovely day to visit again. No sign for me of our eaglet but Pa was grooming deeply on his favourite nest tree branch.

Balancing on 1 foot.
5925.jpg
Needing both feet to balance.
5942.jpg
Our youngster has done a good number on the nest, wingsercising I suspect. No rail sticks left.
5938.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:45 pm

I returned to the nest site again today but no sign of any eagles, no calling. I looked from one end of the Esplanade to the other and did not find our eagle pair. My sense is that our eaglet is not yet strong enough to leave the area but Pa could know better than I. :D

Two days ago, Sept 1, Pa was in his perch tree at the end of the road. Jr was calling often, moving around from tree to tree a bit. He made himself visible through the foliage of the nest tree.
Looking a bit heftier than in the photo in the nest Aug 21 I think.
5954.jpg
5956.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:07 pm

September 1 was the last sighting either Karen or I had of our eaglet and Pa. Hopefully the flight north will be long enough for Pa! A few days later someone from a neighbouring nest saw a youngster around his place.
They had no fledglings this year so perhaps it was ours from Chaster? We'll never know. ;)

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”