Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Mushka

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by Mushka » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:21 pm

A little bit of action close to the nest recently (June 16th). While walking along the beach just past the nest (had just gone down the set of stairs to the beach just past the mailboxes). A juvenile eagle came flying by along the shore line, probably unaware that he/she was flying in the air space of the resident nesting eagles. Almost immediately, and seemingly out of nowhere (but from the direction of the nest) an adult quickly flew towards the younger eagle who when he realized what was happening screamed and rolled over. The adult locked talons with the youngster but quickly let go leaving the youngster to go on it's way and the adult then flew back in the direction of the nest. Everything was over very quickly but happened right where I was standing with one of our dogs so managed to get a few pictures.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_1774-1kh.jpg
DSC_1775-2kh.jpg
DSC_1776-1kh.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by marg » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Amazing Karen great captures of the event!
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Thank you Marg, it was all over within seconds and appeared to be more of a warning than any intent to harm the younger eagle.

After checking in on the nest numerous times during afternoons when in the area walking our dogs and seeing only adults either in the nest or perched on the curved branch beside the nest, I decided to try earlier morning visits. The first morning visit didn't see anything different than what I'd been seeing in the afternoon but yesterday when I stopped by around 8:20 am an eaglet finally showed him/herself! :woohoo: I'm not 100% sure but think there may possibly be a second eaglet in the nest, saw some movement behind the eaglet I could see which may be a second eaglet or just a branch moving in the breeze :-)

Karen H

DSC_2351-1.jpg
Yay! Finally an eaglet makes an appearance
DSC_2356-1.jpg
DSC_2362-1.jpg
There is a 'lump' in this picture to the right of the eaglet, not sure if this means there is a second eaglet in the nest or if it is just a branch moving in the breeze as it hasn't been visible in pictures I've taken before of the nest

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm

Hi Karen, I often saw a feeding around 8am when viewing the Stalashen nest through my telescope. Good shots there may be 2 eaglets there. :luck:

Marg
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Great action captures from June 16 Karen! An exciting moment for sure!

Good news of at least 1 and maybe 2 eaglets :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:19 pm

Well done Karen! :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Checking in at the nest yesterday morning for a quick visit it appeared to be breakfast time, both an adult and an eaglet were in view and though it was a bit hard to tell if the eaglet was eating (or waiting his/her turn), the adult was definitely eating. I couldn't stay long so didn't see if the adult left any remains for the eaglet or if they were both actually eating together.

Karen H

DSC_3368-1.jpg
DSC_3376-1.jpg
DSC_3382-1.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:52 pm

Excellent pictures Karen of the eaglet feeding! It's a good time to go in the morning. :)

(picture at the bottom is mine.)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm

I got to our nest July 21 to find 1 eaglet standing in the nest, Pa on his favourite bent branch.
Taken from the front of the nest. Eaglet is standing in the nest looking the other way.
5838.jpg
It then turned around to give me a face on photo opportunity.
5842.jpg
5843.jpg
It then chose to lie down. I couldn't even see it from the other side of the nest.
Pa needed a bit of sprucing up.
5852.jpg
Then I saw him look up. He began to call out as another eagle flew over. Not sure if it was Ma or not. Looked more like a male to me.
5859.jpg
No calling by our eaglet. Seeming content.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:26 pm

Glad that Pa and eaglet were visible when you visited Sandra, a great visit. I checked in yesterday morning around 8:30 am and for the first time saw the eaglet doing a bit of exercising. A good time to do any jumping up and down, wing exercising, before the heat of the day settles in.

Karen H

DSC_4939-1.jpg
DSC_4940-1.jpg
DSC_4943-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:24 am

That's a scrawny eaglet! I guess with this summer's heat and lack of rain that could be expected. At least it's not sitting in the nest crying.
Nice catch Karen!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Hopefully it's just the angle Sandra, I've seen the adults dropping of food quite a few times when I've been walking by there in the afternoon but haven't been able to see what it is so maybe not big meals ?

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:15 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:25 pm

A visit to the nest on August 8th showed the eaglet out of the nest and appearing to be perched on the curved branch beside the nest, this was viewing from by the mailboxes.

I then walked down the hill and looked back and from that angle the eaglet appeared to be perched on a different branch and much lower down. And that possibly some of the nest had collapsed ?

Then went down onto the beach and from that angle it looked like the eaglet was back in the nest.

Back up again by the mailboxes the eaglet again appeared to be on the curved branch again.

A bit confusing. But, all in all, the eaglet was out and perched beside the nest. Both adults were around, one in the nest and the other flew in and perched higher in the tree. I'm not sure if I was seeing one or two eaglets, I had one of our dogs with me so couldn't spend a lot of time analyzing positions and whether it was actually one eaglet that was moving around as I walked up and down the hill and onto the beach or if there were two :-)

Karen H

DSC_5445-1.jpg
Looking from by the mailboxes
DSC_5448-1.jpg
View from down the hill looking back at the nest, in this picture the eaglet seems quite a ways from the nest and lower down with what looks like part of the nest hanging down
DSC_5452-1.jpg
Taken from the beach, from this angle it looks like the eaglet is back in the nest

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:30 pm

One more picture from the August 8th visit, this one again from by the mailboxes after taking pictures from down the hill and the beach, showing what looks like the eaglet perched beside the nest. By this time the eaglet was constantly calling, while the adult looked on

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_5480-1.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”