Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by stim » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by stim » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:19 pm

A friend who follows some of our local eagle nests recently shot this video of our Pa Chaster. We know it is him
by his band, right ankle. Thank you Jack Stein! Every year we look for that band when we see our male eagle.
First observed by my husband and me in 2011.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8z6D844pK1M3GdNfA

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:19 pm

That's a great video that Jack took! It reminded me that I hadn't posted the picture of Pa I took last November, he was enjoying a meal on the beach while I was walking one of our dogs.

Karen H

Please click on the picture to enlarge

NIK_2156-1sml.jpg
Pa enjoying what may have been an salmon

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:30 pm

I love this shot of Pa. :w00t:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:33 pm

A couple of pictures from March 11th, both adults were 'home'; first perched on the curved branch together and then when I walked back the other way one had moved into the nest. The smaller sized eagle was standing but I couldn't see a band in any pictures. Is the male always smaller than the female ? Or maybe it's just the angle of the picture that makes the adult on the right look smaller.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_2678-1.jpg
Both perched on the curved branch beside the nest
DSC_2692-1.jpg
When I walked back and passed the nest tree, one adult had moved into the nest

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi Karen, great pictures! Yes, the male is usually smaller than the female. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Hi Marg!! :bye 1: I enlarged your pics Karen and the smaller one definitely has the brylcreme look of the male. Looking at his left ankle as best as I could, feathers look to be a bit ruffled? Perhaps the band got pushed up a bit? I went years not seeing a band on him in most photos, have never figured out why.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 am

I've checked out the nest several times while in the area but haven't seen much activity, usually the head of an adult looking out. Yesterday though while walking towards the nest tree an adult eagle flew overhead heading towards the nest so I quickly snapped a picture, when I downloaded and zoomed in on the picture a band is visible on the right leg. Confirming it is Pa. When I reached the mail boxes and looked back there was an adult in the nest that appeared to either be eating or feeding, the top of the head of a second adult appeared briefly in the nest but I didn't manage to capture it in a photo. No eaglets seen yet, by me anyways :-)

Karen H

DSC_7958-1.jpg
Adult flying overhead, band on right leg
DSC_7966-1.jpg
Adult, appearing to be either eating or feeding

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 12, 2021 8:57 am

Great indication of nesting going on. And Pa with his band. Well done!
I was down a while ago and saw feeding movement in the nest, exact same spot. Got a couple of pics of a white head, not the full body as you did. :thumlft:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed May 12, 2021 9:02 am

Great news about this nest! :) Thanks for the posts.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue May 18, 2021 9:24 am

Back to check on the nest May 16. Wonderful surprise meeting up with you and Ice Karen!
There seemed to be continuing movement in the nest by an adult. This pose didn't change in my photos except for head higher or lower. Feeding motion I hope. I'm not sure if there was 1 or 2 adults in the nest. I'm thinking 2, from the movement I saw, and the photo.
5599.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue May 18, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks for the picture and update on this nest stim. :D
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:29 pm

That was a nice surprise to run into you and David viewing the nest at the same time! I've been by the nest at least a few times a week walking Ice and though always seeing at least one adult in the nest or both adults (one in the nest and one perched on the curved branch), have yet to see any signs of a youngster. There must be at least one hiding in that deep nest though?

Did recently see an adult eagle with a nice sized fish that I'm almost 100% sure went back to the nest. While parking just before the mail boxes and getting out of the vehicle I could see an eagle below flying low along the shoreline with something in its talons. I lost track of the eagle due to the trees but decided to go down to the beach from the road and walk with Ice and see if we could see where the eagle went. Located the eagle in a tree a bit further along the beach resting on a branch. While taking pictures from a distance two people with a dog came walking along the beach, and even though they could see I was taking pictures of 'something' in the trees they walked right underneath the eagle, flushing him/her. The eagle then flew back along the beach and up through the trees in the direction of the nest, so I'm pretty sure that's where the fish ended up. A good sized meal.

Karen H

DSC_1300-1.jpg
Eagle spotted flying low along the shore line just below the mailboxes / Love Shack cabin
DSC_1321-1.jpg
Resting with its catch
DSC_1332-2.jpg
Heading off back towards the nest

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:10 am

Thanks for the pictures Karen that was a large fish! :)
I enjoyed reading the update.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”