Stalashen Bald Eagle Nest, Sunshine Coast B.C. Seasons 2019-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

marg
Content Provider

Re: Stalashen Bald Eagle Nest, Sunshine Coast B.C. Seasons 2019-2023

Post by marg » Mon May 15, 2023 10:11 am

Hi Sandra. I see the eagles through my telescope pretty well every day, they both were there yesterday at the top of the tree sometimes it's only one of them. No little ones this year in this nest, I would be surprised if there is.
I joined in 2006
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon May 15, 2023 10:49 am

I wonder if heron steal eaglets like eagles steal their babies? They are nesting so close together it could be a possibility? :(

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed May 24, 2023 9:29 am

I'll ask David H. It's a possibility.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:10 pm

We went to the Stalashen nest yesterday and saw one eagle either Ma or Pa on a branch in the nest tree. We could hear lots of eagle calls calling out to each other. I will post a picture soon taken with my cell phone.

Today, through my telescope, I saw one perched at the top of the nest tree.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:13 am

We won't give up on a youngster yet then! :dunno: I have driven through a few more times since last posting and still haven't seen a youngster, don't usually see the adults. I wondered if they were still around.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:31 pm

I found the writeup below on a local FB page regarding the Stalashen Dr. nest here on the Coast. The youngster is now in rehab while #2 remains in the nest. Good to know it is active!
Thank you to the neighbours of this nest who saved the youngster! :hug:

The Rescue : Baby Bald Eagle.
Drama on Stalashen Drive. Was she pushed or did she fall?
This year Ma and Pa Stalashen had two babies. One is still in the nest and a very large little one was on the ground unable to fly yet. The crows were pecking at her unmercifully. Thanks to the wonderful residents of the Drive who phoned all the Wildlife organizations on the Coast, .... Jeff and his cousin arrived to save the day.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:38 pm

I was so happy when I read an account on FaceBook this morning about the Stalashen eagle nest. Not happy that one of the eaglets fell out of the nest but that it was rescued and will be getting rehab. Over many years I have followed this nest and the last few years here hasn't been any babies, we now know that there are 2 this year. :woohoo: I have met many nice neighbours over the years and I know that they love their eagles. :rh: The last time that I was there we heard eagles calling to each other one in the nest tree the other nearby. Through my telescope I often see one or both on the nest tree or perched on the old nest tree which is close by.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Good to hear both adults seem to be close by Marg. They certainly haven't been very visible this year! Perhaps both are recently new with different habits from our old ones.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:45 pm

Wow! What an exciting story but glad to hear that the fallen eaglet will get a chance for recovery. Is it going to OWL? Seems thats the standard recovery option from the Coast. And great news that there are 2 babies this year! :clap: :heart:

Fingers crossed that the second eaglet fledges! :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:08 am

Yes, Heather, it's at OWL. :luck:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:32 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's that time of year - Vic at the White Rock nest fledged on July 12, and sibling Uni waited almost a week before fledging on July 18. Lof from Surrey Reserve is a week or so younger, and is beginning to get some height while flapping - I think it won't be long before we see her (or maybe him) trying out some of the branches! We know there's a chick at the Delta nest on the electrical tower, but without a cam, are not sure how close he or she is to fledging. We did lose an eaglet this year - brave, feisty Tyr from Surrey Reserve had some health and mobility issues but seemed to be doing okay although growing more slowly than most until suddenly he wasn't; I'll be adopting the Surrey nest for next year in memory of Tyr. :rh:

As I watch Lof moving around on the nest with wings held wide, I realize it will seem like just a hop, skip and a jump from now - and this year's eaglets will be off on their great adventure - and it will be time for us to get into as many nests as possible to clean the cams and do other needed maintenance.

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

We'll have more details soon, but I know we'd like to have the cams at Surrey Reserve cleaned (which will cost around $1000) and it would be wonderful if we could get a cam at Delta that looks at the nest the eagles are using, as well as continuing to keep an eye on the one we'd like them to use (estimated cost $5-6000). We focused on the cams at White Rock last year, so unless there's an issue, we probably will skip them this year and plan to focus on them next year. There's a chance for a new cam at Harrison Mills, but we think the eagles have moved, so would need to find them or decide to focus on the eagles that fish in the river. And there may be other cams in the works!

If we can raise $7,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at Surrey Reserve and Delta. And with the matching drive, if you adopt Delta 2, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500! Please note that adopting a nest is a sign of support for that nest, and we'll be using the funds where they are most needed - so please adopt White Rock if it's your favorite nest even though we probably won't need to do maintenance there this year - or adopt Harrison Mills, and we'll add your name there if we manage to get a camera there, or check with you a little later so you can choose to adopt a different nest or one of our tagged eagles with trackers.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest (or tagged eagle) you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:02 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive
Update

We have raised over $3,000 already - almost half way to our goal! Thank you all so much!

And another supporter has come forward and pledged to match the next $500 in donations - so if you've been planning to donate, today is a great day to do that!

We already have 12 adoptions (2 each for Delta 2 and Harrison Mills, 3 each for Surrey Reserve and White Rock, one for tagged eagle Loki, and one person has not sent me their choice of nest or tagged eagle yet) - and nest adoptions have traditionally been the core of our fundraising for maintenance on the cams - so if that will work for you, please adopt a nest! Or two! :D

But I know that doesn't work for everyone, so I want to mention another option - we also have a core group who have signed up for monthly donations - and that consistent income helps with things like the cost of this forum, with its 1435 members, 662,126 posts and 1.2 million screenshots and other attachments. Thanks to all of you who post here, our forum has amazing documentation on a whole lot of eagles, not to mention osprey and various other critters - mostly in North America, but some from Europe and even Australia!

We encourage people to use CanadaHelps for monthly donations (actually, it's a great choice for all donations to HWF, and you don't need to be in Canada to use it). For those unfamiliar with CanadaHelps, it's a registered charity in Canada whose mission is to help smaller charities with their fundraising by handling the administrative stuff. If you're in Canada, they provide tax receipts automatically - and it's easier for gemini and me as the ones who track donations because there's a place for people to leave a comment so we know if they have an interest in a particular nest or tagged eagle - or what nest they want to adopt, if that's appropriate. Monthly donations can be cancelled at any time - or increased! :thumlft:

We are grateful to all of you who post observations, screenshots and videos - without you, there would be no forum, and no resource looking into the lives of so many eagles (and other critters) - thank you! And what is that saying about those who do the most being the ones asked to do more - if you can help out by adopting a nest, or signing up for monthly donations, or whatever you're comfortable doing, we would really appreciate it. Thank you for your consideration.

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:04 am

Through my telescope:
Yesterday, I saw either Ma or Pa Stalashen in the nest tree in the morning and when I looked later in the evening one was there.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Re: Stalashen Bald Eagle Nest, Sunshine Coast BC. Seasons 2019-2024

Post by marg » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:41 am

I had posted a few days ago about spotting one eagle but it comes to have disappeared?

On October 1st I saw one eagle perched at the top of the tree. It was around 7am.
I have seen it a few times after that so it shouldn't be long before I see the two there. :thumlft:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Re: Stalashen Bald Eagle Nest, Sunshine Coast B.C. Seasons 2019-2024

Post by marg » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:29 am

This will be the start of the 2023-2024 Season!

Looking through my telescope at the nest I have seen one eagle there and occasionally the two of them but then there's a time when they go elsewhere perhaps to Harrison for food. This morning, about 10:19am I saw them both perched at the top of the nest tree. :D
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”