Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Welcome to the Reay Creek Eagles thread for the 2019-2024 seasons. The property the nest tree is on is in a development area and was not accessible prior to this past season. The road to the development is now open and I was able to access the nest area earlier this year. The nest is in a Cottonwood tree close to the Pat Bay Highway and is viewable from the end of Deerbrush Crescent in the development. Reay Creek runs along the back of the subdivision near Peter Grant Park, adjacent to the Pat Bay Highway, then under the highway and out into the ocean just past the McTavish Road roundabout. Sadly, I did not have the opportunity to visit this nest at the end of this past nesting season but was told both eaglets fledged successfully.

The eagles have a second nest on private property on Lochside Drive, across the Pat Bay Highway. They have successfully fledged several eaglets from that nest in past seasons.

Observations and photos of these eagles for the 2018/2019 season can be viewed here.

Link to the 2017/2018 season here.

Link to the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2023-2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:10 pm

This has indeed been a very strange season for eagle watching. I have not been able to get out to the nests I monitor on a regular basis and have sadly missed a lot of the action at the nests. I saw one adult perched in the old nest tree on Aug. 3rd but have no information on whether or not they had eaglets this season. I wish them luck with their travels to the salmon spawning grounds and hope to see them back in their territory within the next 2 months.
Reay Creek Eagle(1) 3 Aug..JPG
Reay Creek Eagle(2) 3 Aug..JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:06 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I visited the nest area on Oct. 20th and did not see or hear any eagles. I will visit again when the leaves have dropped from the Cottonwood trees.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm

I checked some of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday with my birding partner. We did not go to the development where the nest tree is; we viewed the tree from across the highway. It appears there is not much of the nest left but will check at the development next time.
Reay Creek Eagle Nest 16 Mar. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 pm

I visited the nest area on Apr. 13th and sadly the eagles have not fixed up their nest :(
Reay Creek Eagle Nest(1) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG
Reay Creek Eagle Nest(2) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG
Reay Creek Eagle Nest(3) 13  Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:49 pm

Sadly the eagles did not produce any young this season :( We wish them safe travels during their migration to the salmon spawning grounds in Alaska and look forward to their return to their nest area in the fall, looking healthy and well fed :rh:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:54 pm

I have locked this thread but will re-open it when the eagles are seen back in their nest territory :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:03 pm

This is the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season.

I have unlocked this thread to include the 2021-2022 nesting season. I will continue to check the eagles' territory for any signs of a new nest. You are welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles if you see them in their territory.

I visited the nest area on Oct. 13th but did not see or hear any eagles in the area. The leaves have not dropped from the Cottonwood trees but I will continue to monitor this nest site during the next few months for any signs of a new nest :luck:
Reay Creek Eagle Nest 13 Oct. 2021.JPG
Reay Creek Eagle Nest Tree 13 Oct. 2021.JPG
Reay Creek Eagle Nest Tree(1) 13 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue May 03, 2022 9:28 pm

My birding partner and I had a look at the Cottonwood trees where the old nest was, from across the highway in the new development. There was no evidence of a new nest being built :(
Reay Creek Eagle Nest(1) 28 Apr. 2022.JPG

These 2 photos are of the tree on Lochside Dr. where the eagles had a nest many years ago. No evidence of a new nest being built.
Reay Creek Old Eagle Nest Tree(1) 28 Apr. 2022.JPG
Reay Creek Old Eagle Nest Tree(2) 28 Apr. 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 20, 2023 7:54 pm

This is the opening post for the Reay Creek eagles for the 2022-2023 nesting season.

My birding partner has had a report from our WiTS coordinator that the eagles have built a new nest in the same area as the old nest that fell down. However, we haven't visited the area yet this season but I hope to within the next week.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2023 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sun May 28, 2023 8:53 pm

I visited the Reay Creek nest site and had no trouble spotting the new nest as soon as I drove into the small parking area next to the park. I was thrilled to see an eaglet wandering around the nest and a short while later saw a second one pop up at the back of the nest. However, I did not see or hear any adults in the area. Just before I left the eaglets started to call, but I didn't have time to stay any longer, or I might have seen the adults arriving with food :(
Reay Creek Eaglets 26 May 2023(1).JPG
Reay Creek Eaglets 26 May 2023(2).JPG
Reay Creek Eaglets 26 May 2023(3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:50 pm

I visited the Reay Creek nest site with my birding partner on July 4th. It was very quiet at the nest; we did not see any activity, nor did we see or hear any adults in the area. It was a hot day so perhaps the eaglets were just resting.
Reay Creek Eagles 4 July 2023 (1).JPG
Reay Creek Eagles 4 July 2023 (6).JPG
Reay Creek Eagles 4 July 2023 (8).JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:17 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's that time of year - Vic at the White Rock nest fledged on July 12, and sibling Uni waited almost a week before fledging on July 18. Lof from Surrey Reserve is a week or so younger, and is beginning to get some height while flapping - I think it won't be long before we see her (or maybe him) trying out some of the branches! We know there's a chick at the Delta nest on the electrical tower, but without a cam, are not sure how close he or she is to fledging. We did lose an eaglet this year - brave, feisty Tyr from Surrey Reserve had some health and mobility issues but seemed to be doing okay although growing more slowly than most until suddenly he wasn't; I'll be adopting the Surrey nest for next year in memory of Tyr. :rh:

As I watch Lof moving around on the nest with wings held wide, I realize it will seem like just a hop, skip and a jump from now - and this year's eaglets will be off on their great adventure - and it will be time for us to get into as many nests as possible to clean the cams and do other needed maintenance.

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

We'll have more details soon, but I know we'd like to have the cams at Surrey Reserve cleaned (which will cost around $1000) and it would be wonderful if we could get a cam at Delta that looks at the nest the eagles are using, as well as continuing to keep an eye on the one we'd like them to use (estimated cost $5-6000). We focused on the cams at White Rock last year, so unless there's an issue, we probably will skip them this year and plan to focus on them next year. There's a chance for a new cam at Harrison Mills, but we think the eagles have moved, so would need to find them or decide to focus on the eagles that fish in the river. And there may be other cams in the works!

If we can raise $7,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at Surrey Reserve and Delta. And with the matching drive, if you adopt Delta 2, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500! Please note that adopting a nest is a sign of support for that nest, and we'll be using the funds where they are most needed - so please adopt White Rock if it's your favorite nest even though we probably won't need to do maintenance there this year - or adopt Harrison Mills, and we'll add your name there if we manage to get a camera there, or check with you a little later so you can choose to adopt a different nest or one of our tagged eagles with trackers.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest (or tagged eagle) you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:42 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive
Update

We have raised over $3,000 already - almost half way to our goal! Thank you all so much!

And another supporter has come forward and pledged to match the next $500 in donations - so if you've been planning to donate, today is a great day to do that!

We already have 12 adoptions (2 each for Delta 2 and Harrison Mills, 3 each for Surrey Reserve and White Rock, one for tagged eagle Loki, and one person has not sent me their choice of nest or tagged eagle yet) - and nest adoptions have traditionally been the core of our fundraising for maintenance on the cams - so if that will work for you, please adopt a nest! Or two! :D

But I know that doesn't work for everyone, so I want to mention another option - we also have a core group who have signed up for monthly donations - and that consistent income helps with things like the cost of this forum, with its 1435 members, 662,126 posts and 1.2 million screenshots and other attachments. Thanks to all of you who post here, our forum has amazing documentation on a whole lot of eagles, not to mention osprey and various other critters - mostly in North America, but some from Europe and even Australia!

We encourage people to use CanadaHelps for monthly donations (actually, it's a great choice for all donations to HWF, and you don't need to be in Canada to use it). For those unfamiliar with CanadaHelps, it's a registered charity in Canada whose mission is to help smaller charities with their fundraising by handling the administrative stuff. If you're in Canada, they provide tax receipts automatically - and it's easier for gemini and me as the ones who track donations because there's a place for people to leave a comment so we know if they have an interest in a particular nest or tagged eagle - or what nest they want to adopt, if that's appropriate. Monthly donations can be cancelled at any time - or increased! :thumlft:

We are grateful to all of you who post observations, screenshots and videos - without you, there would be no forum, and no resource looking into the lives of so many eagles (and other critters) - thank you! And what is that saying about those who do the most being the ones asked to do more - if you can help out by adopting a nest, or signing up for monthly donations, or whatever you're comfortable doing, we would really appreciate it. Thank you for your consideration.

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:46 pm

This is the opening post for the Reay Creek eagles for the 2023/2024 nesting season.

I visited the nest site with my birding partner on Oct. 12th. The nest is intact but we could not determine if there were any new sticks added. While we were wandering along the path an adult eagle flew overhead but did not come back to the nest. No chance of capturing it in a photo :roll:
Reay Creek Eagle Nest 12 Oct, 2023 (1).JPG

Reay Creek Eagle Nest 12 Oct. 2023 (2).JPG

Reay Creek Eagle Nest Tree 12 Oct. 2023.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”