Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:22 pm

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Eagles thread for the 2019-2024 seasons.

This thread is dedicated to observations, photos and videos of the eagles who inhabit a nest on private property overlooking Roberts Bay in Sidney BC on Vancouver Island.

The 2017 season was a very special one because we watched this Bald Eagle pair not only successfully raise 3 eaglets to fledging but also a Red Tailed Hawk. This anomaly garnered worldwide attention. It was a marvel and a privilege to watch and share the activities at this nest. In 2018 there was only one eaglet in the nest and it successfully fledged.

This nest has been monitored by members of the ground crew for about 8 years and every year except this past year they have successfully fledged eaglets. A long-time neighbour on the cul-de-sac where the eagle nest tree is told me this past spring that there was more than one chick in the nest earlier in the season; they were very vocal. Link to the information from the neighbour can be viewed here. We wish them every success in the coming year.

Observations and photos of the 2018/2019 season can be viewed here.

Observations and photos from previous years can be viewed here.

Link to the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2023-2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday. The nest intact but no eagles were seen. After looking in the trees around the area an eagle called just as we were getting ready to leave. We wandered up the road again but did not see or hear any eagles.
Roberts Bay Nest Tree.JPG
Roberts Bay Nest.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:56 pm

I visited the nest area yesterday for a short time but did not see or hear any eagles in the area. There was no activity in the nest and it looked like there was only 1 new stick added that I could see. However, the front of the nest is built up so there could have been an eagle in there incubating :luck:
Roberts Bay 27 Apr.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm

I visited the nest area this past Sunday and sadly did not see or hear any eagles in the area. There was no whitewash on the driveway under the nest :( It appears the eagles are taking a break this season. Unfortunately, there were no neighbours outside to chat with.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I visited the nest area on Oct. 20th and did not see or hear any eagles. The nest looks like it needs some nestorations before this season begins. I plan to visit again soon.
Roberts Bay Eagle Nest(2) 20 Oct..JPG
Roberts Bay Eagle Nest(1) 20 Oct..JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 pm

I checked some of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday with my birding partner. We did not see or hear the eagles anywhere in the area but the neighbour told us they have been in and out of the nest for a couple of weeks.
Roberts Bay Eagles Nest 16 Mar. 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Nest Tree 16 Mar. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 06, 2021 1:39 pm

I visited the nest area on May 4th with my birding partner. One eagle was perched on the side of the nest when we arrived then hopped down into the nest and appeared to be feeding an eaglet, although we did not see one. A neighbour said there is at least 1 eaglet in the nest. The other eagle fly over the area and disappeared from sight. I was pretty sure it had gone to one of the perch trees on Beaufort Rd. Sure enough it was indeed perched in the tallest tree near the end of the road.
Roberts Bay Eagle(1) 4 May 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagle(2) 4 May 2021.JPG

Watching the other eagle flying by.
Roberts Bay Eagle(3) 4 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 06, 2021 1:41 pm

May 4th cont'd.

This is the nest tree.
Roberts Bay Nest 4 May 2021.JPG

The 2nd eagle on Beaufort Rd.
Roberts Bay Eagle on Beaufort Rd.(1) 4 May 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagle on Beaufort Rd.(2) 4 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:54 pm

I visited the nest area this past Sunday. One of the adults was perched at the top of the nest tree at the back. I couldn't get a photo of it from the road in front of the nest tree as it was behind the branches :roll: The second adult (I believe the male) flew into the nest with a small piece of prey in its talons and the eaglet was squawking and flapping about, mantling the prey as if it hadn't eaten for a week :ohmy: The adult flew out and landed in a nearby tree then flew off towards the bay. It came back a short while later without prey and perched on the branch beside the nest. The eaglet was very vocal by that time and squawked at the adult. The adult jumped down into the nest but flew off again.
Roberts Bay Eagles(1) 4 July 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(2) 4 July 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(4) 4 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:00 pm

July 4th cont'd.

Small piece of white prey in the adult's talons.
Roberts Bay Eagles(6) 4 July 2021.JPG

Eaglet grabs the prey.
Roberts Bay Eagles(7) 4 July 2021.JPG

Eaglet took the prey to the back of the nest away from the adult.
Roberts Bay Eagles(8) 4 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:07 pm

July 4th cont'd.

2nd adult (I believe the female) flew to the branch beside the nest. The eaglet jumped up and started squawking because the adult didn't bring any prey.
Roberts Bay Eagles(14) 4 July 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(19) 4 July 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(20) 4 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:13 pm

July 4th cont'd.

The eaglet was relentless in its squawking at the adult.
Roberts Bay Eagles(21) 4 July 2021.JPG

The adult jumped down to a branch at the back of the nest.
Roberts Bay Eagles(24) 4 July 2021.JPG

The eaglet jumped up to the branch beside the nest where the adult had been and continued its squawking.
Roberts Bay Eagles(26) 4 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:17 pm

July 4th cont'd.

The eaglet continued its squawking and finally lay down in the middle of the nest after the adult had left. It certainly was an exciting time at the nest.
Roberts Bay Eagles(27) 4 July 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(29) 4 July 2021.JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(30) 4 July 2021.JPG

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:51 am

:thumlft: Merci Sassyk
So happy to see a new eaglet, member of the :rh: Spunky's :rh: nest
:ty:
:huggie:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:39 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”