Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019/2020 Season

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:22 pm

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Eagles thread for the 2019/2020 season.

This thread is dedicated to observations, photos and videos of the eagles who inhabit a nest on private property overlooking Roberts Bay in Sidney BC on Vancouver Island.

The 2017 season was a very special one because we watched this Bald Eagle pair not only successfully raise 3 eaglets to fledging but also a Red Tailed Hawk. This anomaly garnered worldwide attention. It was a marvel and a privilege to watch and share the activities at this nest. In 2018 there was only one eaglet in the nest and it successfully fledged.

This nest has been monitored by members of the ground crew for about 8 years and every year except this past year they have successfully fledged eaglets. A long-time neighbour on the cul-de-sac where the eagle nest tree is told me this past spring that there was more than one chick in the nest earlier in the season; they were very vocal. Link to the information from the neighbour can be viewed here. We wish them every success in the coming year.

Observations and photos of the 2018/2019 season can be viewed here.

Observations and photos from previous years can be viewed here.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for WiTS (Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Roberts Bay Eagles, Sidney BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday. The nest intact but no eagles were seen. After looking in the trees around the area an eagle called just as we were getting ready to leave. We wandered up the road again but did not see or hear any eagles.
Roberts Bay Nest Tree.JPG
Roberts Bay Nest.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for WiTS (Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”