Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread for the 2019-2024 seasons.

There are 5 nests currently being monitored by locals within the Municipality of Oak Bay on southern Vancouver Island.

The Fire Hall eagles have a nest in a tree behind the Oak Bay Fire Hall on Monterey Avenue which they have used for many years, producing many offspring in that nest. The eagles have also used an old nest which is a short distance away on a private property at the end of York Place and have produced many offspring in that nest. It is always a guess as to which nest they will use for the current season. This past season the eagles were seen in their nest behind the Fire Hall looking like they were incubating. I was informed that a fight occurred and sadly one dead eagle was found hanging from the tree. It was removed by one of the firemen.

The Golf Course eagles have had 3 nests in a tree in front of the club house on the Victoria Golf Course on Beach Drive and have produced many offspring in all 3 nests. This past season there were no eaglets. A fellow WiTS volunteer saw one of the eagles perched in their favourite tree across from the entrance to the golf course a couple of days ago.

The Anderson Hill eagles have had 2 nests which they have used in the past. One is in a tree on private property near Anderson Hill Park and their second nest is also on private property on a private road near Anderson Hill Park. The eagles have not nested in either of these nest for the past few years.

The Uplands eagles have a nest in a Cottonwood tree on private property near the intersection of Beach Drive and Lansdowne Road. The nest has been there for many years but the eagles seemed to prefer an alternate nest on a private property in the Ten Mile Point area for a few years. After their alternate nest fell down a few years ago the eagles used the Uplands nest the past 2 seasons, successfully fledging one eaglet last season.

The eagle nest on Sylvan Lane has been there for many years according to the neighbours. For the past few years it has been used by a pair of eagles, one of the eagles thought to be one of the nesting pair previously using the nest on the private road near Anderson Hill Park. The eagles successfully fledged one eaglet this past season. The nest tree is situated on the side of the narrow lane and it is not known if it is actually on private property.

Please feel welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area. Please be respectful of the owners and neighbours when visiting nests on private property.

Information, observations and photos from previous seasons can be found here and here.

Link to the opening post for the 2021/2022 nesting season here.

Link to the opening post for the 2022/2023 nesting season here.

Link to the opening post for the 2023/2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:39 pm

One of my birding friends saw an adult perched in the tree across the road from the entrance to the Golf Course last week.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:39 pm

I did a tour of the nests in Oak Bay yesterday. Both eagles from the Lansdowne/Beach Dr. nest were sitting together on a rock in the bay visible from Cattle Point.
IMG_5622 - Copy.JPG

Their nest is intact and looks stable.
IMG_5614 - Copy.JPG

As we were enjoying a hot latte in the Marina Cafe, I spotted both eagles from the Fire Hall nest perched on separate trees behind the private school. They both flew off over the marina and out of sight. When we went to the end of the parking lot at Turkey Head we spotted one of the eagles perched on a marker in the bay.
IMG_5635 - Copy (2).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:44 pm

The second eagle from the Fire Hall nest was perched on a log way out in the bay.
IMG_5636 - Copy.JPG

This is their second nest at the end of York Place.
IMG_5644 - Copy.JPG

This is the tree the eagles often perch in; across the road from their nest tree
on York Place. It doesn't look very healthy.
IMG_5653 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:48 pm

The nest behind the Fire Hall is intact. We are skeptical they will use this nest in the spring
next year due to having lost their eggs or eaglets in an attack by an intruder this past spring.

These first 2 photos were taken from in front of the Fire Hall.
IMG_5654 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5655 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the cul-de-sac behind the Fire Hall.
IMG_5656 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 pm

One of the eagles from the Golf Course nest was perched in their favourite tree across the road.
IMG_5661 - Copy.JPG

The second eagle flew in from the water side and landed on a small branch beside the lower nest.
IMG_5680 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the top of Anderson Hill. The eagle sitting beside the lower nest
is visible near the bottom of the photo on the left side. You can see the white head.
IMG_5702 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 pm

This photo was also taken from the top of Anderson Hill. The eagle was still perched in the favourite tree across from the Golf Course.
IMG_5698 - Copy.JPG

This is the tree the Anderson Hill eagles quite often perch in, although they haven't used either of their nests on Island Rd. for a few years.
IMG_5689 - Copy.JPG

One of the favourite perch areas for the Sylvan Lane eagles on Trial Island. We believe this is one of the eagles originally from the Island Rd. nests. There was an adult eagle found dead in Anderson Hill Park a few years ago and we believe this is the remaining eagle who possibly found a new mate and claimed the nest on Sylvan Lane.
IMG_5690 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:43 pm

I took advantage of the sunny but bitterly cold weather today and visited the nests in Oak Bay.

There were no eagles around the Lansdowne/Beach Drive nest site but we did find one perched on the snag down the road by the Yacht Club, one of their favourite perch sites.
IMG_6312 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6320 - Copy.JPG

The nest looks like there have been a few new sticks and small fir branches added.
IMG_6308 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 pm

There were no eagles in the area of the nest behind the Fire Hall or the 2nd nest on York Place. The nest behind the Fire Hall looks like it has lost some sticks from the bottom. After the loss of chicks last season, we are doubtful they will use this nest this season.
IMG_6334 - Copy.JPG

This is the 2nd nest on York Place. With all the construction going on in that area we are wondering if the eagles will even have a family this season.
IMG_6327 - Copy.JPG

One of their favourite perch trees across from the York Place nest is looking a bit sad :(
IMG_6330 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:23 pm

While walking around the waterfront by the Oak Bay Marina Cafe, we spotted 2 eagles sitting on a small island offshore. We are assuming these eagles are from the Fire Hall nest and not the eagles from the Golf Course nest.
IMG_6339 - Copy.JPG

There was one eagle on the post on Trial Island which is a favourite perching spot for the eagles from the Sylvan Lane nest.
IMG_6355 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm

There were no eagles in the area of the Golf Course. I took photos of all 3 of their nests.

This is the lower nest which they seem to like the best.
IMG_6342 - Copy.JPG

This is the older upper nest which they haven't used for many years.
IMG_6343 - Copy.JPG

This is the newest upper nest which they haven't used in the last couple of years.
IMG_6341 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:52 pm

I did a tour of the Oak Bay nests on Feb. 28th. All nests were in good shape but no eagles were seen or heard.

I have been staying indoors due to the restrictions around the Covid-19 virus and haven't been out to check on any nests lately. However, one of my birding friends who lives in Oak Bay has reported all nests have been occupied and the eagles are incubating eggs :thumlft: I hope I will be able to visit the nests soon :luck:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:25 pm

My birding partner did a tour of the Oak Bay nests and has reported seeing what looked like an adult feeding young in the Golf Course nest. She also saw 1 chick in the Uplands/Lansdowne nest, and 1 chick in the Sylvan Lane nest. The Fire Hall nest seems to be abandoned and there was nothing happening at their second nest on York Place.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:15 pm

I did a tour of the Oak Bay nests on June 17th. My first stop was the Lansdowne/Beach Dr. nest. I did not see or hear any eagles in the area of the nest so I drove down the road to their perch tree near the Yacht Club. An adult was perched and stayed long enough for me to capture one photo before it flew off in the direction of the nest tree.
Beach Dr. Eagle(1) 17 June.JPG

I went back to the nest tree area and a few minutes later an adult flew in and perched in the nest tree. It called out a few times then the eaglet got up and looked around while the adult preened.
Beach Dr. Eagle(2) 17 June.JPG
Beach Dr. Eaglet(1) 17 June.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”