Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2019/2020 Season

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread for the 2019/2020 season. There are 5 nests currently being monitored by locals within the Municipality of Oak Bay on southern Vancouver Island.

The Fire Hall eagles have a nest in a tree behind the Oak Bay Fire Hall on Monterey Avenue which they have used for many years, producing many offspring in that nest. The eagles have also used an old nest which is a short distance away on a private property at the end of York Place and have produced many offspring in that nest. It is always a guess as to which nest they will use for the current season. This past season the eagles were seen in their nest behind the Fire Hall looking like they were incubating. I was informed that a fight occurred and sadly one dead eagle was found hanging from the tree. It was removed by one of the firemen.

The Golf Course eagles have had 3 nests in a tree in front of the club house on the Victoria Golf Course on Beach Drive and have produced many offspring in all 3 nests. This past season there were no eaglets. A fellow WiTS volunteer saw one of the eagles perched in their favourite tree across from the entrance to the golf course a couple of days ago.

The Anderson Hill eagles have had 2 nests which they have used in the past. One is in a tree on private property near Anderson Hill Park and their second nest is also on private property on a private road near Anderson Hill Park. The eagles have not nested in either of these nest for the past few years.

The Uplands eagles have a nest in a Cottonwood tree on private property near the intersection of Beach Drive and Lansdowne Road. The nest has been there for many years but the eagles seemed to prefer an alternate nest on a private property in the Ten Mile Point area for a few years. After their alternate nest fell down a few years ago the eagles used the Uplands nest the past 2 seasons, successfully fledging one eaglet last season.

The eagle nest on Sylvan Lane has been there for many years according to the neighbours. For the past few years it has been used by a pair of eagles, one of the eagles thought to be one of the nesting pair previously using the nest on the private road near Anderson Hill Park. The eagles successfully fledged one eaglet this past season. The nest tree is situated on the side of the narrow lane and it is not known if it is actually on private property.

Please feel welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area. Please be respectful of the owners and neighbours when visiting nests on private property.

Information, observations and photos from previous seasons can be found here and here.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for WiTS (Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:39 pm

One of my birding friends saw an adult perched in the tree across the road from the entrance to the Golf Course last week.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:39 pm

I did a tour of the nests in Oak Bay yesterday. Both eagles from the Lansdowne/Beach Dr. nest were sitting together on a rock in the bay visible from Cattle Point.
IMG_5622 - Copy.JPG

Their nest is intact and looks stable.
IMG_5614 - Copy.JPG

As we were enjoying a hot latte in the Marina Cafe, I spotted both eagles from the Fire Hall nest perched on separate trees behind the private school. They both flew off over the marina and out of sight. When we went to the end of the parking lot at Turkey Head we spotted one of the eagles perched on a marker in the bay.
IMG_5635 - Copy (2).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:44 pm

The second eagle from the Fire Hall nest was perched on a log way out in the bay.
IMG_5636 - Copy.JPG

This is their second nest at the end of York Place.
IMG_5644 - Copy.JPG

This is the tree the eagles often perch in; across the road from their nest tree
on York Place. It doesn't look very healthy.
IMG_5653 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:48 pm

The nest behind the Fire Hall is intact. We are skeptical they will use this nest in the spring
next year due to having lost their eggs or eaglets in an attack by an intruder this past spring.

These first 2 photos were taken from in front of the Fire Hall.
IMG_5654 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5655 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the cul-de-sac behind the Fire Hall.
IMG_5656 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 pm

One of the eagles from the Golf Course nest was perched in their favourite tree across the road.
IMG_5661 - Copy.JPG

The second eagle flew in from the water side and landed on a small branch beside the lower nest.
IMG_5680 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the top of Anderson Hill. The eagle sitting beside the lower nest
is visible near the bottom of the photo on the left side. You can see the white head.
IMG_5702 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 pm

This photo was also taken from the top of Anderson Hill. The eagle was still perched in the favourite tree across from the Golf Course.
IMG_5698 - Copy.JPG

This is the tree the Anderson Hill eagles quite often perch in, although they haven't used either of their nests on Island Rd. for a few years.
IMG_5689 - Copy.JPG

One of the favourite perch areas for the Sylvan Lane eagles on Trial Island. We believe this is one of the eagles originally from the Island Rd. nests. There was an adult eagle found dead in Anderson Hill Park a few years ago and we believe this is the remaining eagle who possibly found a new mate and claimed the nest on Sylvan Lane.
IMG_5690 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”