Deep Cove Winery Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Deep Cove Winery Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Welcome to the Deep Cove Winery Eagles thread for the 2019-2024 seasons.

This nest is on private property adjacent to the winery property near Deep Cove, within the Municipality of North Saanich, BC. The owners of the property have asked that members of the public do not trespass on their property when visiting the nest area.

The winery was previously the Muse Winery and the eagles have successfully fledged many eaglets over the past years. Unfortunately there were no eaglets in the nest the past 2 seasons.

The nest is very visible from the area outside the Deep Cove Winery gate as well as from their parking lot and the terrace Bistro. Please feel welcome to post your observations, photos and videos of these eagles if you visit their nest area.

Links to past seasons can be found here and here.

Link to the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2023-2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Deep Cove Winery Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard and the winery was closed. After 2 seasons with no eaglets, I'm hoping the eagles will produce some young this season. This is still my favourite nest :)
Deep Cove Winery Nest.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:32 pm

I did a tour of some of the nests on the peninsula yesterday and was happy to see an adult eagle in the nest. I did not see any fuzzy heads pop up but it did look like the eagle was feeding young :luck: I did not stay long and wanted to make sure the nest was intact. Here are 2 photos.
Deep Cove Winery(1) 27 Apr.JPG
Deep Cove Winery(2) 27 Apr.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 pm

I have confirmation (and a photo) from Elyse, the owner of the winery, that there is indeed
an eaglet in the nest. I have received her permission to post her photo here.

Deep Cove Winery Eaglet Elyse Photo.JPG

After zooming in on my 1st photo in my previous post, I do think I see a beige fuzzy head behind
the greenery to the right of the adult. This is very good news, after 2 seasons of no eaglets :woohoo:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 am

I have received word from Elyse that there are 2 eaglets in the nest :woohoo:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm

I visited the nest area this past Sunday and both eaglets were sitting in the nest preening, with their backs to the road where I was standing. They both look healthy. I did not see or hear the adults anywhere in the area. I took some photos but will not be able to post any until I get a new computer, hopefully by this weekend :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Two eaglets preening. Taken on June 28th.
Deep Cove Winery  Eagles(1) 28 June.JPG
Deep Cove Winery  Eaglets(2) 28 June.JPG
Deep Cove Winery  Eaglets(3) 28 June.JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:50 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:40 pm

This has indeed been a very strange season for eagle watching. I have not been able to get out to the nests I monitor on a regular basis and have sadly missed a lot of the action at the nests. I have been in contact with Elyse at the winery and she has reported both the eaglets have successfully fledged and have been flying around the area. I made one last trip on Aug. 3rd to see if the eagles were still in the area and did not see any of them anywhere around the nest area. I wish them luck with their travels to the salmon spawning grounds and hope to see them back in their territory within the next 2 months.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Deep Cove Winery Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I visited the nest area on Oct. 20th and did not see or hear any eagles. I hope to visit again soon. The nest looks intact :)
Deep Cove Winery  Nest 20 Oct..JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:56 pm

I visited the nest area yesterday with my birding partner. There were no eagles seen or heard in the area. The nest looks like it will need a bit of nestoratig after it was well used by the 2 eaglets earlier this year.
IMG_0645 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:33 pm

I visited some of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday with my birding partner and were pleased to see one of the eagles in the nest incubating :woohoo:
Deep Cove Winery Eagles(1) 16 Mar. 2021.JPG

Cropped so Her beak and eye are visible between the sticks.
Deep Cove Winery Eagles(2) 16 Mar. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm

I visited the nest area on Apr. 13th and saw an eagle soaring over the winery and out of sight. The other eagle was in the nest incubating.
Deep Cove Winery Eagle(1) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun May 02, 2021 5:01 pm

I have received some good news from Elyse at the winery. She sent a photo on Apr. 29th that showed an eaglet in the nest and has given me permission to post her photos. Thanks so much Elyse :)
Elyse photo.jpg

She has sent me another photo taken yesterday of the eaglet waiting to be fed. The parent had just
brought in a fish. I have zoomed in on Elyse's photo and think that the dark mound in the front of the
adult's chest could be another eaglet :luck:
Elyse photo 1 May, parent had just brought in a fish.jpg

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 pm

I visited the winery with my birding partner yesterday and saw eaglets in the nest. The male flew in with prey and the eaglets were being fed. I am quite certain there are at least 2 eaglets in the nest and possibly 3. That would be very exciting :thumlft:

There is a tiny eaglet to the right of the adult.
Deep Cove Winery Eagle & Eaglet(4) 4 May 2021.JPG

There is a slightly larger eaglet to the right of the adult in this photo.
Deep Cove Winery Eagle & Eaglet(3) 4 May 2021.JPG

There is a much larger eaglet with darker feathers to the right of the adult in this photo.
Deep Cove Winery Eagle & Eaglet(1) 4 May 2021.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”