Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2023 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:41 pm

I was informed that both of the nests in the Brentwood Bay area did not produce any young this nesting season.

I visited the area of the Wallace Drive nest on July 8th and did not see or hear any eagles in the area. I took a couple of photos of the nest tree from the side street across the field but did not see anything in the nest tree or any of the trees along the stand of Cottonwoods.
Wallace Dr. Eagle Nest(1) 8 July 2022.JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagle Nest(2) 8 July 2022.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:37 am

On July 12th I was chatting with an acquaintance who informed me that there are 2 big eaglets in the Wallace Dr. nest :woohoo: I looked closer at my photo posted above and I am now thinking that the dark blob beneath the nest is an eaglet, and not part of the tree trunk as I previously thought :roll: I was told earlier in the season that the nest was inactive but am very happy to know that it is indeed very active :thumlft: I am going to visit the nest site today and hopefully I will see some eaglets.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:07 pm

I visited the nest site on July 14th and had a good look at the nest tree from the side road, across the big field.

The tree looked the same as it did the previous time I looked at it. What I thought might have been an
eaglet perched below the nest is a part of the tree trunk.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2022 (1).JPG

I wandered up and down the sidewalk below the nest tree but did not see or hear any eagles or eaglets
n the area. There was a big black bag hanging near the nest but I could not see what was in it.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2022 (2).JPG

I took several photos of the nest from vaious vantage points but did not see anything moving in the nest.
There was a bunch of dark feathers that could have been a bird brought in by the parents.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2022 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:11 pm

July 14th cont'd.

I chatted with a lady who walks there often and she said there were 2 juveniles hanging around the nest site earlier in the season. However, she said she hadn't seen any babies in the nest this season. My acquaintance must have been referring to the juveniles she saw.

A few more photos of the nest from various vantage points.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2022 (4).JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2022 (5).JPG

I have included this photo which shows no whitewash (eaglet poop) on the tree beside the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2022 (6).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:15 pm

I visited the Centennial Park nest on July 14th and the resident confirmed there have been no eaglets
in the nest for the past 2 seasons.
Centennial Park Nest 14 July 2022.JPG

I was pleased to see one of the adults perched in the tree next to the nest tree.
Centennial Park Eagle 14 July 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 am

This is the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season.

I saw this article in the Saanich News today.
Wallace Drive Eagle Nest.jpg
An eagles nest in a tree near Wallace Drive in Saanich is the source of concern for residents
who worry a new sewer line will put the protected bird in peril. (Courtesy of Wayne Joslin)

Threat to eagle’s nest delays work on Central Saanich sewer line

Concerned residents raise awareness of a tree home to bald eagles that would be impacted

HOLLIE FERGUSON Feb. 11, 2023 5:00 a.m. LOCAL NEW

The construction of a sewer line easement in Central Saanich will not go forward until there is feedback from an environmental consultant.
Residents of Central Saanich expressed concerns about the construction of an easement for a sewer line they said would threaten a tree that is home to an eagle’s nest.
Wayne Joslin, a neighbour of the tree, said the bald eagles have been nesting there for years and any construction around the tree might cause root damage or disturb the protected birds.
“We’re concerned about working around the tree, for starters with the eagles in it, as well as the roots being damaged from the pipeline,” Joslin said. “The projected route is only 20-metres wide so it would be physically impossible to respect even the minimum 100-metre eagle disturbance buffer zone.”
Joslin said eagles are protected by a zone of 200 metres when active and his main concern is that digging for the sewer line will require habitat clearing and would damage nearby trees.
“We truly hope that in the end, the protection/buffer zone will be respected, an alternate available route will be used instead and we will not lose this eagle family,” he said.
Adam Overend, who works in the engineering department for Central Saanich said construction will not move ahead until they receive the environmental report from Stantec, which is doing the environmental consultation for the project.
“We have no intentions of removing the tree or doing anything like that,” Overend said. “They are a protected species so we do have to abide by all the environmental laws. Nothing is going to be happening to the eagles or the nest.”
The environmental report is expected to be available in March.
“The eagle family in these trees are a documented and monitored family of eagles,” Joslin said. “We are unsure why this site has been chosen given that the eagles have been there for so long and that there are alternate routes available.”
Overend said this route is the most cost-efficient, with other options adding more than $1 million to the project.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:01 pm

I visited the Wallace Drive nest with my birding partner on April 12th and was pleased to see an eagle in the nest; it appeared to be incubating eggs or brooding chicks :thumlft: There was no evidence of any construction work being done.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 12 Apr. 2023 (4).JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagles 12 Apr. 2023 (6).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun May 28, 2023 8:16 pm

I haven't been able to check on the 2 nests lately but my birding partner went out Tuesday of last week and saw an eaglet in the Wallace Dr. nest. Both adults were in the area; one perched and one flying over the farm field across the road.

She also saw an eaglet in the nest at Centennial Park and both adults were perched nearby, one in the nest tree and one in the next tree.

I plan to get out to these 2 nests one day next week :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:42 pm

I finally made it to Brentwood Bay to check on the nests with my birding partner on June 14th. There is indeed a beautiful big eaglet in the Wallace Dr. nest. As we were watching the nest from the side street across the big field we saw one of the adults flying in with something trailing from its talons. At first we actually thought what we were seeing was a kite :D We saw the adult fly into the nest so we headed over to Wallace Dr. We were fortunate to find a couple of spots along the sidewalk where we could see the nest.

A huge white sheet of plastic with some black plastic training behind can be seen in the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 June 2023 (2).JPG

The eagle in the nest flew out and the other adult flew in to an adjacent tree.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 June 2023 (5).JPG

The eaglet finally got up and stared at us :D
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 June 2023 (8).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:45 pm

Wallace Dr. Nest 14 June cont'd.

Adult was watching Turkey Vultures from its perch high above the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 June 2023 (15).JPG

A closer look at the stuff the adult brought into the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 June 2023 (16).JPG

A closer look at the eaglet :rh:
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 June 2023 (19).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:49 pm

My birding partner and I were very pleased to see 2 eaglets in the nest by Centennial Park on June 14th.

An adult was in the nest when we first arrived at the nest site.
Centennial Park Eagles 14 June 2023 (1).JPG

A short while later an eaglet popped up.
Centennial Park Eagles 14 June 2023 (2).JPG

The eaglet was very curious about us watching it.
Centennial Park Eagles 14 June 2023 (10).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:54 pm

Centennial Park nest June 14 cont'd.

The eaglet was very busy exercising its wings :thumlft:
Centennial Park Eagles 14 June 2023 (11).JPG

During the flapping a second eaglet popped up.
Centennial Park Eagles 14 June 2023 (18).JPG

The eaglet at the back of the nest looked a bit bigger than the one in front,
but it made no effort to get up.
Centennial Park Eagles 14 June 2023 (19).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:33 pm

I visited the Wallace Dr. nest with my birding partner on July 4th. We did not see or hear any adults in the area but the big healthy looking eaglet was standing on the side of the nest when we arrived at the vantage point along the sidewalk below the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eaglet 4 July 2023 (1).JPG

Last time we visited we saw an adult flying in with a big piece of plastic
trailing behind it. Part of it is still hanging from the side of the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eaglet 4 July 2023 (3).JPG

A closeup of the eaglet from the sidewalk below the nest site.
Wallace Dr. Eaglet 4 July 2023 (7).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:52 pm

I visited the Centennial Park nest with my birding partner on July 4th. One eaglet was standing up at the front of the nest, the 2nd eaglet was in the back of the nest looking out. Both eaglets were resting in the hot sun, waiting for food to arrive. We did not see or hear any adults in the area.
Centennial Park Eaglets 4 July 2023 (1).JPG
Centennial Park Eaglets 4 July 2023 (2).JPG

This photo was taken from the street behind the nest property. The lighting
was terrible from that vantage point; the sun was behind the nest tree.
Centennial Park Eaglets 4 July 2023 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:57 am

I visited the Wallace Dr. nest site with my birding partner on July 14th. We viewed the nest first from the side street across from the big field. One adult was perched in a small tree close to the corner of West Saanich Rd. We saw both adults flying around from tree to tree but could not determine for sure if we actually saw an eaglet.
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2023 (1).JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2023 (2).JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagles 14 July 2023 (3).JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”