Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:54 am

Welcome to the Brentwood Bay Eagles thread for the 2019-2024 seasons. There are two nests in the Brentwood Bay area, both on private property. The eagles from both nests have produced many offspring in previous seasons. The eagle's nests on Wallace Drive have fallen down over the past seasons but the eagles have built new nests in the same area. The eagles can be seen hunting in the field across from their old nest tree on Wallace Drive and fishing around Brentwood Bay. The stand of Cottonwood trees on Wallace Drive can be viewed from across the field on Stelly's Cross Road. The nest near Centennial Park can be viewed from the lane behind the Veterinary Hospital on the corner of Wallace Drive and Stelly's Cross Road. There have been many successful fledglings in these nests over the past seasons.

Observations and photos of the eagles from both of these nests from the past season can be found here.

Links to previous seasons for these 2 nests can be found here

Link to the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2023-2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:40 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard at either the Wallace Dr. nest or the Centennial Park nest. The eagles from the Wallace Dr. nest that blew down earlier this year have not built a new nest in the same area. The trees are still in full foliage and it will be easier to see if they have started building a new nest when the leaves fall.

The Centennial Park nest is still intact. Photo from the lane behind the animal hospital.
Centennial Park Nest(1).JPG

Photo from the path through to the nest street.
Centennial Park Nest(2).JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm

I visited the nest area yesterday and did not see any evidence of a new nest being built in the Cottonwood trees along Wallace Drive. I did not see or hear the eagles.

There was an adult eagle soaring over the nest tree near Centennial Park but I did not see any activity in the nest which looks like it could use some refurbishing.
Centennial Park 27 Apr.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I hope to visit these nests soon.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 pm

I visited both nest sites yesterday with my birding partner. We were surprised to see a new nest in a Cottonwood tree on Wallace Dr. This nest is probably the 5th nest the eagles have built in this area. We viewed the nest area from Columbia Ave. where we saw one of the adult eagles perched in a tree down at the other end of the stand of cottonwood trees near the school.
IMG_0590 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0593 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from Stelly's X-Road behind the nest tree.
IMG_0599 - Copy.JPG

There were no eagles seen or heard in the area of the Centennial Park nest.
IMG_0598 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm

I visited both nests on Apr. 13th. I had observed a few months ago that the eagles who have had several nests in the stand of Cottonwood trees along Wallace Dr. had started building a new nest. When I arrived at the viewing area on the side street I saw one eagle down in the nest. A few minutes later the other eagle flew in and they exchanged incubating duties. The one in the nest flew to a nearby tree while the other one settled down in the nest.
Wallace Dr. Eagle(1) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

Eagle in the tree on the far right of the photo.
Wallace Dr. Eagles(3) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

This is the nest from Stelly's X-Rd.
Wallace Dr. Eagle(4) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:24 pm

When I arrived at the Centennial Park nest there were no eagles in the area. While I was driving along Stelly's X-Rd. to view the nest from the other side, both eagles flew over and one was carrying what looked like a duck. I took a few photos from the path but the lighting wasn't good.
Centennial Park Nest (from pathway off Tomlinson Rd.) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

I drove back to the road that leads into the park and saw one of the eagles defeathering the duck while the other one fussed with sticks.
Centennial Park Eagles(2) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG
Centennial Park Eagles(4) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:32 pm

I visited both nests yesterday with my birding partner. There were no eagles seen or heard near the Centennial Park Nest and the nest looks like it hasn't been fixed up :(
Centennial Park Nest 1 June 2021.JPG

The nest on Wallace Dr. has at least 1 eaglet but we couldn't confirm more than 1 due to the nest being mostly hidden amongst the leaves on the tree. I posted a photo on Apr. 11th showing the location of the new nest without leaves on the tree. We saw an eaglet moving around through our binoculars but didn't capture it in a photo. I photographed the area of the tree where the nest is.
Wallace Dr. Nest(1) 1 June 2021.JPG
Wallace Dr. Nest(2) 1 June 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm

I visited the Centennial Park nest on July 19th and did not see or hear any eagles. It appears the eagles did not produce young this season :(
Centennial Park Nest 19 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:29 pm

I visited the nest on Wallace Dr. on July 19th. I viewed the area from the side street across the field and was very pleased to see an adult perched up high in one of their old nest trees. I was pleased that I could see it from Wallace Dr.
Wallace Dr. Eagle(1) 19 July 2021.JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagle(2) 19 July 2021.JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagle(3) 19 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:32 pm

Wallace Dr. nest July 19th cont'd.

I was very excited to see a nice big eaglet perched on a branch below the nest :rh:
Wallace Dr. Eaglet 19 July 2021.JPG
I could barely see part of the nest between the leaves and branches of the tree but did see the other adult in the nest and part of another eaglet :woohoo:
Wallace Dr. Eagle in Nest 19 July 2021.JPG
Wallace Dr. Eagle Nest 19 July 2021.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:33 pm

Unfortunately I was not able to visit the nest area again to confirm the eaglets successfully fledged. I am hoping they did and that they have enjoyed a banquet of spawned out salmon in the rivers of Alaska :rh:

I have locked this thread and will open a new thread for the 2021/2022 season when the eagles have returned to their nest territory looking healthy and well fed. Hoping they produce a family next spring :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:24 pm

This is the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season.

I have unlocked this thread to include the 2021-2022 nesting season. You are welcome to post your observations and photos if you visit the eagles' nest territory.

I visited the area of both nests on Oct. 18th but did not see or hear any eagles in the area. The newest nest the eagles built on Wallace Drive is very difficult to view while the leaves are on the Cottonwood trees. I viewed the nest tree from the side street behind the big field across from the nest area and took a photo of the mostly hidden nest.
Wallace Dr. Eagle Nest 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

The nest near Centennial Park is looking good but unfortunately there were no eagles seen or heard in the area.
Centennial Park Eagle Nest 18 Oct. 2021.JPG
Centennial Park Eagle Nest Tree 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:35 pm

I did a tour of some of the nests on the Saanch Peninsula with my birding partner on Apr. 13th. There were no eagles seen or heard near the Centennial Park nest, except 1 little bird exploring the nest.
Centennial Park Eagle Nest 13 Apr. 2022.JPG
We were thrilled to see an eagle in the Wallace Dr. nest, appearing to be incubating :woohoo:
This photo was taken from the side street across the big field.
Wallace Dr. Eagles(1) 13 Apr. 2022.JPG

This photo was taken from Wallace Dr.
Wallace Dr. Eagles(2) 13 Apr. 2022.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”