Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Welcome to the Ardmore Dr. and Coles Bay Eagles nest thread for the 2019-2024 seasons. In previous years it was thought these 2 nests were occupied by the same pair of eagles; however I have witnessed adult eagles occupying both territories this past season. Both nests have produced eaglets over the past 7-8 seasons. Observations, photos and videos of these eagles are welcome on this thread if you visit their nest areas.

Observations and photos from the 2018/2019 season can be viewed here.

Observations and photos from previous seasons can be viewed here.

Link to the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2023-2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles
seen or heard in the area of the Coles Bay nest.The nest is still intact but looks as
if it has lost a few sticks.
Ardmore Dr. Nest.JPG

The nest at the dead end of Arbutus Drive (Yarrow Point) is still intact.
Yarrow Point Nest.JPG

Both adult eagles were perched in the same tree overlooking the bay, behind where
the Yarrow Point nest tree is located.
Adults in tree at Yarrow Pt.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:07 pm

I visited the nest areas yesterday but did not see or hear any eagles in the area. The Coles Bay nest looks like it could use a bit of refurbishing.
Ardmore Dr. 27 Apr.JPG

The nest at the end of Ardmore Dr. is looking good but I haven't seen any eagles in it for awhile.
Yarrow Pt. 27 Apr.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I hope to visit these nests soon.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm

I visited both the nests in the Ardmore area yesterday with my birding partner. There were no eagles seen or heard around the nest on Ardmore Dr. closer to Coles Bay.
IMG_0604 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0605 - Copy.JPG

Some of the stick that fell down from the nest can be seen below the nest.
IMG_0607 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:42 pm

This is the nest at the dead end of Ardmore Dr. (Yarrow Point). One eagle was perched in a tree overlooking the little bay and the other one was perched in one of their usual perch trees overlooking the point.
IMG_0619 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0610 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0623 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:11 pm

I visited the 2 nests on Apr. 13th but I did not see or hear any eagles in the area or in trees along the beach. However, I have been informed that both pairs of eagles have been seen in their territory. Keeping my fingers crossed there will be some eaglets to watch this season :luck:

This is the nest on Ardmore Dr. that was previously referred to as the Coles Bay nest. I took several photos from various vantage points but did not see anything moving. There could have been an eagle down low incubating :luck:
Ardmore Dr. Nest(3) 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

This is the nest at the dead end of Ardmore Dr. which is known as Yarrow Pt.
Yarrow Pt. Nest 13 Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:02 pm

I visited both of the nests with my birding partner yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard at the nest at the end of Ardmore Dr. (documented as the Yarrow Pt. nest) or down at the beach.

However we saw an adult in the nest on Ardmore Dr. near the mailboxes (Coles Bay) feeding an eaglet :woohoo: My apologies for the poor quality of these photos; there were too many small branches getting in the way which isn't great for a small camera that doesn't have manual focus :roll:
Ardmore Dr. Eagles(1) 1 June 2021.JPG
Ardmore Dr. Eagles(2) 1 June 2021.JPG

The adult hopped up to the branch beside the nest and a short while later the other eagle flew from the bay into the nest and appeared to be feeding the eaglet.
Ardmore Dr. Eagle Nest(1) 1 June 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:10 pm

June 1st cont'd.

The adult eagle on the branch flew off and the one in the nest hopped up to the branch when the feeding was finished.
Ardmore Dr Eagle Nest(2) 1 June 2021.JPG
Ardmore Dr. Eagle(1) 1 June 2021.JPG
Ardmore Dr. Eagle(2) 1 June 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm

I visited the Coles Bay nest on July 19th and it was eerily quiet :( According to the amount of small white feathers in the nest I am assuming the eaglet has fledged. I wandered own the trail to the beach and did not see or hear any eagles.
Ardmore Dr. Nest(1) 19 July 2021.JPG
Ardmore Dr. Nest(2) 19 July 2021.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:28 pm

Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to return to the nest areas to confirm that the eaglet successfully fledged. I am hoping it did and is enjoying a banquet of spawned out salmon in the rivers in Alaska :rh:

I have locked this thread and will open a new thread for the 2021/2022 season when the eagles have returned to their nest territory looking healthy and well fed and hoping they produce a family next spring :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 am

This is the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season.

I have unlocked this thread to include the 2021-2022 nesting season. You are welcome to post your observations and photos if you see the eagles in their nest territory.

I visited both nests on Oct. 18th. The nest on Ardmore Dr. near Coles Bay looks intact but we did not see or hear any eagles in the area.

This photo was taken through the trees from up the road near the mailboxes.
Ardmore Dr. Eagle Nest(1) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

This photo was taken from Ardmore Rd. in front of the nest.
Ardmore Dr. Eagle Nest(2) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG
When we arrived at the nest at Yarrow Pt. at the end of Ardmore Dr. we saw both eagles flying in and landing at the top of a tree next to the nest tree. We couldn't see them at first but they were squawking back and forth to each other. One flew to a nearby perch tree and a minute later the other one flew to the same tree. They looked like they were going to mate but the first one then flew to a tree down by the beach. The second one continued to perch in the nearby tree while preening. I have a lot of photos of the eagles that I will post later.

This is a photo of the nest which is on the property next to the property at the very end of Ardmore Dr. at Yarrow Pt.
Yarrow Pt. Eagle Nest 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:02 pm

Oct. 18th cont'd.

Both of the eagles are perched at the top of this tree beside the nest tree at Yarrow Pt.
Yarrow Pt. Eagles 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

This is the second eagle to land in this tree close to the nest tree. The first one flew off towards the beach.
Yarrow Pt. Eagle(1) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG
Yarrow Pt. Eagle(2) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore Drive and Coles Bay Eagles Nests, North Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Oct. 18th cont'd.

The eagle continued to preen and was still perched in the tree when we left. We went down to the beach and saw the first eagle perched high up overlooking the Saanich Inlet. The photo of that eagle was not good quality as the sun was low behind the eagle and there were big black clouds coming in.
Yarrow Pt. Eagle(3) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG
Yarrow Pt. Eagle(4) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG
Yarrow Pt. Eagle(5) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”