Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 pm

I visited the nest area on July 14th and saw the lone eaglet sitting up in the nest. I took photos from a few different vantage points along the road. However, I did not see or hear the adults anywhere in the area.
Swan Lake Eaglet(1) 14 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 14 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(3) 14 July 2021.JPG
My birding partner also visited the nest on July 14th and the eaglet sitting in the nest.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:01 pm

I visited the Swan Lake nest on July 19th. I chatted with a neighbour who did confirm what we had heard that there were originally 2 eaglets in the nest. The neighbours watched the eaglets interacting with each other then one day they saw it lying on the side of the nest. It was not breathing or moving and it was obviously deceased :cry1:

The eaglet was wandering around the nest looking very lonely. This nest is in the shade most of the time therefore I have had to lighten the photos.
Swan Lake Eaglet(1) 19 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 19 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(3) 19 July 2021.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:04 pm

July 19th cont'd.

One of the adults was perched in the old nest tree and the other adult was perched in a tree close to Swan Lake. I managed to get a photo of it through the street wires.
Swan Lake Eagle(5) 19 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(3) 19 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(4) 19 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:09 pm

July 19th cont'd.

I wandered down to the main road where I could get a few closeups of the adult in the old nest tree.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 19 July 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(2) 19 July 2021.JPG

The eaglet was sitting on the edge of the nest looking out towards the parents when I got back to the nest site. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.
Swan Lake Eaglet(4) 19 July 2021.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Thank you JudyB for your time & effort to support and keep the HWF forum and cams running. The efforts of you and the rest of the admin. team are greatly appreciated :rh:

There has been a bit of a mystery at the nest the past week. A week ago this past Wed. my birding partner visited the nest area and saw the eaglet sleeping in the nest and was sure she saw the head move. Last Sunday she visited the nest area and saw what looked like something large and brown and dead in the nest. She wandered around the area and didn't see the eaglet but one of the adults was perched in the old nest tree the entire time. The property owner's wife said she saw the eaglet flapping at the top of the nest tree earlier last week. She took a photo of the nest with a lot of different feathers in it and couldn't tell if they were eagle/eaglet/goose feathers or from some other large bird. The property owner had a look around the nest tree and under the nest but did not see anything.
Laura's Photo 4 Aug. 2021.JPG

All of the neighbours we have spoken to said they saw the eaglet up on branches above the nest flapping its wings occasionally. However, it is still a mystery as to what has happened. We both visited the nest area this past Thurs. and took more photos but things definitely looked different in the nest. This is my photo. There were considerably less feathers showing.
Swan Lake Eagle Nest 5 Aug. 2021.JPG

It is still a mystery as to what happened and we may never know. We are hoping that what was in the nest was not the eaglet :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:45 pm

I have locked this thread with a sad heart as it seems certain that the 2nd eaglet passed away in the nest :brknhrt: I hope to see the adults return to the nest area healthy and well fed within the next month :luck: When the eagles return I will start a new thread for the 2021/2022 season.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:44 am

This is the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season.

Good News!! The eagles have returned :woohoo:

I have unlocked this thread to include the 2021-2022 nesting season. You are welcome to post your observations and photos if you see the eagles in their territory.

The eagles have returned looking healthy & well fed. They have been seen for the past few days by some of the residents who live in the area of the nest. I saw both of them perched in their old nest tree yesterday when I drove by but unfortunately I did not have time to stop and take any photos. I'm looking forward to seeing some fuzzy eaglets in the nest in the spring :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:47 pm

Although I haven't been out to Swan Lake or the nest site yet after my hip surgery, a few people have posted photos of the eagles on Facebook. I drove by yesterday and spotted both eagles perched in their old nest tree, looking out over Swan Lake :thumlft: I had a passenger and didn't have my camera so unfortunately couldn't stop to take any photos. I'm hoping to visit Swan Lake and the nest site in the next few days :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:24 pm

My birding partner has confirmed the nest has been active so far this season :woohoo: I will try to visit the nest area soon, when the weather here gets better. It has been very unsettled lately with rain, wind & hail :holdon: :(

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:04 pm

I visited the nest area on Apr. 19th and saw an adult in the nest. It was standing at the side of the nest looking like it was rolling eggs when I first arrived. I wandered down the road and snapped a photo of the eagle lying down in the nest; hopefully the eagles will have better luck this season with fledging an eaglet :luck:
Swan Lake Eagles(1) 19 Apr. 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagles(2) 19 Apr. 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 19, 2022 10:04 am

I visited the nest area on May 17th. The female was standing on the side of the nest looking back towards the old nest tree where the male was perched.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 17 May 2022.JPG

As I was walking down the lane the male flew by heading towards the nest. He delivered prey then perched beside the nest.
Swan Lake Eagles(1) 17 May 2022.JPG

After the male flew off towards the old nest tree, the female started feeding the 2 eaglets :woohoo:
Swan Lake Eagle & Eaglets(1) 17 May 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 19, 2022 10:07 am

I was thrilled to be able to see the nest from the lane.
Swan Lake Eagle & Eaglet(3) 17 May 2022.JPG

Both eaglets are visible in this photo :woohoo:
Swan Lake Eagle & Eaglets(3) 17 May 2022.JPG

I walked down to the road where the male was perched in the old nest tree. He was half hidden right at the top of the tree.
Swan Lake Eagle(2) 17 May 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 19, 2022 10:17 am

Back at the street side of the nest the female was feeding the eaglets.
Swan Lake Eagle & Eaglet(4) 17 May 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle & Eaglet(5) 17 May 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle & Eaglet(6) 17 May 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:33 am

I visited the nest site yesterday and both eaglets were visible. One was standing up at the front of the nest and the 2nd one was moving around behind. I didn't see or hear either of the adults.
Swan Lake Eagles(1) 20 June 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagles(2) 20 June 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagles(4) 20 June 2022.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”