Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019/2020 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

I visited the nest area this past Sunday and the eaglet was sitting in the nest very busy preening. I did not see or hear the adults anywhere in the area. I have photos but will not be able to post them until I get a new computer, hopefully be the weekend.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Photos taken June 28th. The eaglet was busy preening.
Swan Lake Eaglet(1) 28 June.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 28 June.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(3) 28 June.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:13 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm

I visited the nest area on July 27th and saw the eaglet perched in the nest tree above the nest. It was a very hot day and it was dozing in the shade.
Swan Lake Eaglet 27 July.JPG

This has indeed been a very strange season for eagle watching. I have not been able to get out to the nests I monitor on a regular basis and have sadly missed a lot of the action at the nests. I made one last trip on Aug. 3rd to see if the eagles were still in the area and did not see any of them anywhere around the nest area or around Swan Lake. However, my birding partner saw the eaglet flying over Swan Lake earlier in the day. I wish them luck with their travels to the salmon spawning grounds and hope to see them back in their territory within the next 2 months.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:18 pm

I went for a walk at Swan Lake this evening and spotted one of the adults perched in their old nest tree :)
Swan Lake Eagle 5 Aug..JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:46 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I visited the nest area on Oct. 20th and while I was standing on the floating bridge over Swan Lake I spotted 2 adult eagles soaring high overhead. They kept circling higher and higher until they were out of sight. They were too far away to capture any decent photos.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 pm

I saw the Swan Lake pair perched side by side in their old nest tree on Mar. 26th on my way to Swan Lake. While on the floating bridge I saw both of them flying from the tree around the area then they both perched in the old nest tree on different branches.
Swan Lake Eagles Old Nest Tree 26 Mar. 2021.JPG

On my way home both eagles were still perched in the old nest tree and I was able to find a place to park so I could get some photos. This is the male on the lower branch.
Swan Lake Male 26 Mar. 2021.JPG

The female on the upper branch. She is looking very round and full so perhaps she will lay eggs soon :luck:
Swan Lake Female(6) 26 Mar. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:57 pm

I visited the nest area on Mar. 31st and was very happy to see Mom in the nest; she appeared
to be incubating :woohoo: Keeping :luck: they will have eaglets this season :)
Swan Lake Nest(1) 31 Mar. 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Nest(2) 31 Mar. 2021.JPG

Dad was perched high up in their old nest tree.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 31 Mar. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 pm

I visited the nest area on April 8th. The male was perched in the old nest tree trying to stay on in the wind.
Swan Lake Eagle  in old nest tree 08 Apr. 2021.JPG

The female was in the nest incubating.
Swan Lake Eagle  in Nest 08 Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:56 pm

I was at Swan Lake yesterday afternoon and a few eagles were circling overhead. One made its way towards the nest area and landed in the old nest tree. I couldn't get up the road to see the nest due to roadwork.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 15 Apr. 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(2) 15 Apr. 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(3) 15 Apr. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 13, 2021 10:01 pm

I visited the nest area on May 11th and one of the adults (looked like the male) was in the nest looking around.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 11 May 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(2) 11 May 2021.JPG

While I was standing on the floating walkway over Swan Lake I saw an adult eagle soaring overhead, slowly descending lower and lower until it perched in the old nest tree.
Swan Lake Eagle(3) 11 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm

May 11th cont'd.

I found a parking spot near the old nest tree and photographed an adult that looked like the female.
Swan Lake Eagle(4) 11 May 2021.JPG

She looked down at me, opened her wings and flew off, circling around towards the nest.
Swan Lake Eagle(5) 11 May 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(6) 11 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 pm

May 11th cont'd.

After the female flew off in the direction of the nest I wandered up the side road to see if there was a good vantage point to view the nest. When I walked back to the old nest tree the male was perched preening.
Swan Lake Eagle(7) 11 May 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(8) 11 May 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(9) 11 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 26, 2021 4:08 pm

I visited the Swan Lake nest area yesterday and saw one of the adults in the nest. However, I didn't catch a glimpse of any eaglets and didn't see the other adult. I will go again soon.
Swan Lake Eagles(4) 25 May 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagles(5) 25 May 2021.JPG
Swan Lake Eagles(6) 25 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:15 pm

I visited the nest area last night and was thrilled to see a big beautiful eaglet perched on the side of the nest :woohoo: It sat there looking around and seemed to be quite content. One of the adults was perched high up in the old nest tree.

The eaglet has already branched according to a neighbour.
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 29 June 2021.JPG

I took this photo of the parent from the lane. I believe it is the male.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 29 June 2021.JPG

I took this photo from Saanich Rd.
Swan Lake Eagle(2) 29 June 2021.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”