Westshore, Metchosin and Sooke Bald Eagles - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Westshore, Metchosin and Sooke Bald Eagles - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:33 am

I was able to get out to Langford Lake on Thurs. Apr. 13th and saw an adult eagle in the old nest; it appeared to be incubating. A second eagle flew from the trees across the lake, swooped down and caught something but unfortunately it was too fast and quite far away so I wasn't able to capture the action.
Langford Lake Eagles(1) 14 Apr. 2022.JPG

The eagle flew to a tree above the houses, then flew to another tree higher up. I snapped a few pictures but wasn't able to pinpoint just where the eagle was perched.
Langford Lake trees below the nest tree 14 Apr. 2022.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:52 pm

I visited the nest on Farhill Rd. on April 27th. One of the eagles was perched near the nest tree being harassed by a couple of ravens. The other eagles was down in the nest, but eventually got up to tend to eggs or chicks. I didn't see any evidence of feeding. These 3 photos were taken from Park Dr.
Farhill Rd. Nest(1) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG
Farhill Rd. Nest(2) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG
Farhill Rd. Nest(4) 27 Apr. 22022.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:54 pm

April 27th visit cont'd.

The adult being harassed by the ravens.
Farhill Rd. Eagle(1) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG
Farhill Rd. Eagle(3) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG
Farhill Rd. Eagle(4) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:01 pm

April 27th cont'd.

This is the old nest tree a short distance down the road.
Farhill Rd. Old Nest 27 Apr. 2022.JPG

These 2 photos were taken from Duke Rd. and show a different side of the nest.
Farhill Rd. Nest (from Duke Rd.) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG
Farhill Rd. Nest(from Duke Rd. 2) 27 Apr. 2022.JPG

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun May 01, 2022 7:42 pm

I visited the Metchosin area in March and I'm happy to report that 1 saw 2 adult eagles perched near a nest near Witty's Lagoon around Mar 18th/19th. This is probably the nest that has already been reported on but I did take some photos and will upload once I've imported them which will hopefully determine if its the known nest. Sorry I'm quite a bit behind with my photo imports as you can tell :roll:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon May 02, 2022 9:52 pm

Hi Heather,

My birding partner and I do monitor the nests in that area but we haven't seen any activity in the nest near Witty's Lagoon so far this season. I'm happy that you posted your observations here on this thread and look forward to seeing your photos. I will probably be able to tell which nest it is :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed May 04, 2022 9:16 pm

Hi sassyk

Glad that I might be able to help :)

The map is just approximate as it was hard to nail down the location exactly. The x marks the spot where I took most of the pictures. But hopefully the phone pic will help when you next visit. It was quite late in the evening for photos and the light was fading fast but hopefully they are enough for you to work out if its a known nest

We were staying at the Wits End B&B at the end of Witty Beach Rd and the back of the nest is also visible from their property. The last picture is the back of the nest from their garden. I'm not quite sure if the nest is actually on their property or on the neighbouring property.

The eagles certainly seem to have picked a prime spot with lots of opportunities for a relatively easy meal so a great place to raise a few eaglets! :luck:

Let me know if you need any more info

WittysLagoonLocation.png
Approx location of nest
HWF_WittysLagoon_20220318_182329_v2.jpg
Very bad phone pic showing eagles and the nest tree from the beach
HWF_WittysLagoon_20220318_2168.jpg
Adults sitting close to the nest tree
HWF_WittysLagoon_20220318_2173.jpg
Nest tree
HWF_WittysLagoon_20220318_2265.jpg
Adult flew out to sand bank ......
HWF_WittysLagoon_20220318_2311.jpg
... and flew back with some kind of fish I think
HWF_WittysLagoon_20220320_2698.jpg
View of the nest from Wits End B&B
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 pm

Hi Heather,

Thanks so much for this info and your photos. Yes, this is a nest we have been monitoring for many years. It's good to know you can see the nest tree from Wits End B&B. We usually view it from Tower Point if we can't get down to the beach. We'll have to go check on it again soon when the weather gets better. I will pass along your info to my birding partner; we are both volunteers for WiTS. Would you mind if I sent your photo to her? I know Sandra is a nest monitor for WiTS as well.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun May 08, 2022 5:55 pm

Hi sassyk

I'm glad you were able to recognize the nest and that there has now been some activity there. Witty's lagoon was certainly a beautiful spot and a wonderful birding location. My husband and I spent quite a bit of time there on our visit to the area in March! :)

And yes, please feel free to pass any of the info or images on to WITS. I helped with some WITS mapping on the Sunshine Coast a few years ago so I'm very happy to help with another nest.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 pm

My birding partner visited some nests this past week and has informed me that there is one eaglet in the Langford Lake nest :woohoo: Hoping to visit some nests myself soon if we ever get some decent weather :luck:

There is another nest in the Metchosin/Happy Valley area that I visited on Apr. 14th. Link to my post with observations and photos here. My birding partner visited this nest recently and reported that there are two eaglets in the nest :woohoo: I am hoping to visit this nest again soon :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Westshore, Metchosin and Sooke Bald Eagles - 2019-2023 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:11 pm

This is the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season.

My birding partner Laura G. visited the nesting area of the Langford Lake eagles a few days ago. She has reported: "The eagles have built another nest in the tree beside the nest tree that they used a couple years ago, not the nest on the left, west. Now there are two eagle nests in this tiny patch of trees surrounded by the development." Laura has sent me her photos and given me permission to post them here on the forum.

Eagle in the nest. (Laura's photo)
Langford Lake Bald Eagle nest,  9 Jan. 2023 (Laura).JPG

Area of the new and previous nests. Their new nest is circled in blue. (Laura's photo)
Langford Lake Bald Eagle nests, new nest circled blue, 9 Jan. 2023 (Laura).jpg

This is a photo I took on July 3rd of last summer, showing the construction area. The group of 3 trees above the brown cleared area is the area in Laura's photo above.
Langford Lake Construction Site 3 July.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun May 28, 2023 9:51 pm

My birding partner Laura visited Witty's Lagoon recently and saw an adult feeding a chick in the nest; she also heard the chick peeping. The second adult was perched nearby. I have not been able to visit the nest area yet but hope to within the next week.

Laura also visited the nest near the Luxton Fairgrounds that I reported on earlier. She saw a chick and both adults at the nest which is much bigger now :thumlft: I hope to visit the nest site soon.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am

I visited some nests in the western communities on Monday with my sister. We saw both old and new nests at Langford Lake but the nest trees are so far away I couldn't confirm if I saw an eaglet in the nest.

My birding partner Laura also viewed the nest from the bridge on the lake at a different time of the day, but had her scope so she was able to confirm there is at least one eaglet in the nest. Laura also saw an adult in the nest and it hopped out to a branch.

Here are a few photos I took on Monday. This is the area of construction/destruction where both old and new nests are located. Old nest is in the tree on the right of the trees in the middle of the photo.
Langford Lake Eagle Nests 5 June 2023.JPG

This is the new nest in the tree on the left of the trees in the middle of the photo.
Langford Lake New Eagle Nest 5 June 2023.JPG

This is the old nest in the tree on the right of the trees in the middle of the photo.
Langford Lake Old Eagle Nest 5 June 2023.JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:28 am

FLEDGEFEST 2023   

HANCOCK POTLUCK AND OPEN HOUSE
July 15 Sat:    10am to 5pm 

At the Hancock Residence, 19313 Zero Avenue, Surrey, BC
&
A selection of White Rock Eagle nests

For further details please click HERE

RSVP BY JULY 1, 2023

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:07 pm

I visited the nest on Farhill Rd. on June 5th but did not see or hear any eagles in the area. The nest is intact but did not look like there were any new sticks added. This first photo was taken from Duke Rd.
Farhill Rd. Eagles 5 June 2023 (1).JPG

These nest 2 photos were taken from the dead end street off Duke Rd.
Farhill Rd. Eagles 5 June 2023 (2).JPG
Farhill Rd. Eagles 5 June 2023 (3).JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”