Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:30 am

Viaduct Flats eagles cont'd.

The adult was in the nest eating for quite awhile before the 2nd adult arrived.
Scarborough Rd. Eagles (6).JPG
Scarborough Rd. Eagles (7).JPG

This photo shows the old and new nests and the adult perched in the tree 2nd from the right.
Scarborough Rd. Eagles (8).JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:29 pm

I have received an update from Ann Smith about the Hollywood Park eagles.
Mar. 11th Ann saw an eagle taking a branch to the nest tree, and she has seen eagles taking branches to the nest occasionally over the past weeks. About a week prior to that she saw 4 or 5 eagles flying in high circles around the Gonzales Hill area.
Mar. 22nd Ann reported in the past week or so she has heard an eagle but did not see it. She said the nest was big enough to make it hard to see when an eagle is in it. Lately she has seen an eagle perched above the nest on the back (park) side of the tree. It doesn't stay long before flying off; possibly hunting for food.
Mar. 25th Ann reported seeing an adult perched on the snag at Gonzales Bay, eating. An immature landed on a nearby branch and would not move as the adult screeched at it. Ann observed 3 immature eagles across the street by the washroom building; 2 of them appeared to be fighting, with linked talons. One fell onto a tree branch; Ann heard the thud. All 3 of the immatures flew off then she saw 2 young eagles trying to take the adult's food. All 5 eagles eventually flew off and the immature didn't seem to be injured.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:35 pm

I visited the nest area at Viaduct Flats with my birding partner on April 9th. We were able to confirm an eagle incubating in the nest. The other adult was perched in a nearby perch tree :)

This is the nest the eagles have previously used; it is the one that an eaglet fell from 2 years in a row.
Viaduct Flats Old Nest 9 Apr. 2024.JPG

This is the nest the eagles are using this year. Very near to the old nest. The eagle's beak is visible on the right side of the trunk.
Viaduct Flats New Nest 9 Apr. 2024.JPG

The adult perched in a nearby perch tree; looking out from behind the top of the tree.
Viaduct Flats Eagle in perch tree 9 Apr. 2024.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:41 pm

This is a nest at the south end of Pat Bay that I have reported on in the past. I viewed this nest with my birding partner from the park area near the Coast Guard docks. It is a difficult nest to view from a distance but we have not found a closer viewing area.

One of the eagles was perched at the top of a nearby tree; a short while later the other eagle landed on the same branch and they mated!
South Pat Bay Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (1).JPG
South Pat Bay Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (3).JPG

The nest is visible in the middle of this photo; I believe I can see a white head in the nest.
South Pat Bay Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (5).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:48 pm

I reported on this nest on March 10th; it is on the First Nations land in Central Saanich. I visited this nest with my birding partner on April 9th. We caught glimpses of a beak and head feathers down in the nest. A short while later the eagle vocalized and the 2nd adult flew overhead, circled then landed at the top of a nearby tree. The eagle in the nest got up and appeared to be rolling eggs while the perched eagle preened.
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (1).JPG
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (2).JPG
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:52 pm

Central Saanich eagles Apr. 9th cont'd.

The perched eagle continued to preen for awhile.
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (5).JPG

We believe either Turkey Vultures or Ravens were a little too close to the nest, causing the perched eagle to vocalize warnings.
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (6).JPG
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (8).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:54 pm

Central Saanich eagles Apr. 9th cont'd.

I was able to get a better view of the eagle in the nest from a different vantage point. The perched eagle flew off and didn't return while we were there.
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (9).JPG
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (10).JPG
Hummingbird Lane Eagles 9 Apr. 2024 (11).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:57 pm

My birding partner has been documenting the activities of a pair of eagles nesting at the Cordova Bay Golf Course. We visited the area and were able to see the nest tree through the fence. However, there was no sign of eagles in the nest. We will visit again during the next few weeks.
Cordova Bay Golf Course Eagle Nest Tree.JPG
Cordova Bay Golf Course Eagle Nest.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 pm

I visited the nest near Mount Doug park on April 17th. One of the adults was in the nest and appeared to be incubating.
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (1).JPG
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (2).JPG
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 pm

Mount Doug eagles Apr. 17th cont'd.

After watching and listening for awhile I did not see or hear the 2nd adult. I sat in my vehicle then saw movement in the nest. The incubating eagle got up and flew to a nearby tree where the 2nd adult was perched. I heard a lot of vocalizing which to me sounded like mating! I grabbed my camera and got out of my vehicle but the tree the eagles were in wasn't visible. After hurrying to a vantage point where I could see the eagles one of them flew back to the nest while the 2nd one perched and vocalized.
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (4).JPG
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (5).JPG
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (6).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm

Mount Doug eagles Apr. 17th cont'd.

The eagle in the nest disappeared while the 2nd eagle continued to vocalize.
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (7).JPG
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (8).JPG

It scratched while perching!
Mount Doug Eagles 17 Apr. 2024 (9).JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”