Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:13 pm

I reported on this nest in the Mt. Douglas area last year here. Unfortunately the nest began to fall just as the eaglets were ready to fledge but they were able to fly to a nearby tree before the entire nest fell. Sadly, the entire branch on the left side of the nest tree has broken off.

The eagles have built a new nest in the same area and I visited it on Apr. 19th. At first I didn't see any movement in the nest but just after I got into my vehicle to get warm I saw an eagle moving around. It got up and flew off the back of the nest. I was sure it would return within a few minutes and had my camera focused on the nest when it returned. It quickly assumed the incubating posture, rocking back and forth. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will have eaglets this season :luck:
Mt. Doug Adult returning to nest 19 Apr. 2022.JPG
Mt. Doug Adult returns to nest 19 Apr. 2022.JPG

This is the new nest tree.
Mt. Doug New Nest Tree 19 Apr. 2022.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:28 pm

My birding partner has confirmed there are 2 big healthy looking eaglets in the nest at Panama Flats in Saanich :woohoo:

Also confirmed is 1 small eaglet in the new nest near Mount Douglas park :woohoo: Photos in previous post. Their nest fell down last season.

Also confirmed is 2 eaglets in the nest at Viaduct Flats.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 pm

I visited the new nest near Mount Douglas Park yesterday. This is one of the nests the folks from the Ministry visited and took blood samples & measurements, and banded the lone eaglet. The eaglet was calling but I could not stay long enough to wait for a parent to arrive with food. This new nest is quite small compared to the previous nest that fell. I was hoping the eaglet would jump up onto that branch at the front so I could get a photo of the band, but no luck.

A wide angle view of the nest tree and surrounding area, looking out over Cordova Bay.
Mt. Doug Eaglet 5 July 2022 (1).JPG
Mt. Doug Eaglet 5 July 2022 (2).JPG
Mt. Doug Eaglet 5 July 2022 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:44 pm

Mount Douglas eaglet cont'd.

Eaglet doing a bit of preening.
Mt. Doug Eaglet 5 July 2022 (4).JPG

Waiting for a parent to bring dinner.
Mt. Doug Eaglet 5 July 2022 (5).JPG
Mt. Doug Eaglet 5 July 2022 (6).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:17 pm

I visited the new nest near Mount Douglas Park on July 14th. The eaglet was sitting in the nest looking out over Cordova Bay. What a gorgeous view these eagles have :thumlft:
Mt. Douglas Eaglet(1) 14 July 2022.JPG
Mt. Douglas Eaglet(3) 14 July 2022.JPG
Mt. Douglas Eaglet(2) 14 July 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:26 pm

I visited the new nest near Mt. Douglas Park on July 20th. The eaglet was displaying a good wing exercising shortly after I arrived. A while later the male adult flew in and landed in the nest. I'm not sure if he brought food for the eaglet but he flew off less than a minute later. The eaglet disappeared to the back of the nest which makes me think the adult did bring some food. The female adult flew in and landed in a nearby tree and both adults were calling back and forth to each other. I snapped a photo of the female even though the sun was almost behind her.
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (1).JPG
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (2).JPG
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:28 pm

Mt. Douglas eagles July 20th cont'd.

The eaglet took a rest then resumed its wing exercises.
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (4).JPG
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (5).JPG
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (6).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:31 pm

Mt. Douglas eagles July 20th cont'd.

The eaglet continued its wing exercising until the male adult flew in then it
disappeared to the back of the nest.
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (7).JPG

The male adult.
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (8).JPG

The female adult on a nearby tree.
Mt. Douglas Eagles 20 July 2022 (9).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:47 am

This is the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season for the nests that do not have a dedicated thread.

I received a private message from Ann Smith regarding an eagle nest in one of our local parks. I visited the nest site with my birding partner on Mar. 1st and saw the small nest but did not see or hear any eagles.
Hollywood Park Eagle Nest(1) 1 Mar. 2023.JPG
Hollywood Park Eagle Nest(2) 1 Mar. 2023.JPG
Ann agreed to keep me updated on what the eagles were doing and said she had seen them coming and going to the nest, bringing sticks in. She took a photo of them perched together at the top of the nest tree just after she had watched them mating :woohoo: She gave me permission to post her photo here.
Hollywood Park Eagles (Ann Smith Photo).jpg

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:06 pm

Many thanks to Ann Smith for alerting me to this nest at one of our local parks. I visited this nest yesterday and it is considerably larger than it was the last time I visited. Photos in previous post. I heard an eagle calling as soon as I got out of my vehicle but did not see either adult. I took a few photos from various vantage points and I'm sure I can see the white feathers of an adult between the sticks and greenery.
Hollywood Park Eagles 29 Mar. 2023 (1).JPG
Hollywood Park Eagles 29 Mar. 2023 (3).JPG
Hollywood Park Eagles 29 Mar. 2023 (4).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2023 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed May 03, 2023 11:04 pm

Many thanks to Ann Smith for sending me her observations and photo of the adult eagle in the nest at one of our local parks. Ann' reported the following:

"The last few times I’ve been by the nest it has been quite easy to spot the eagle in it. It seems to be moving around more and is up higher in the nest. I watched the other eagle fly to the tree the other day and the crows were relentless in harassing them. Between the eagles and the hawks the crows are kept busy complaining!"

Photo courtesy of Ann Smith, May 3rd.
Eagle in Hollywood Park nest May 5 2023.jpg

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2023 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed May 10, 2023 1:36 pm

Yesterday I visited the eagle nest that I reported on in the post above. The nest is in a tree at Hollywood Park. An adult was in the nest and called softly when some crows got too close to the nest tree. I did not see or hear the other adult anywhere in the area.

I took this 1st photo from the side of the park where the washrooms are.
The back of the adult's head is visible in the nest.
Hollywood Park Eagles 9 May 2023 (1).JPG

I took these 2 photos from the road across from the nest tree.
Hollywood Park Eagles 9 May 2023 (2).JPG
Hollywood Park Eagles 9 May 2023 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 20, 2023 7:25 pm

My birding partner visited the nest at Hollywood Park on Wed. May 17th. One adult was seen in the nest but no eaglets were visible. I will be visiting this nest within the next few days.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 20, 2023 7:27 pm

My birding partner visited the nest near Mt. Douglas Park on Tues. May 16th. She observed an adult sitting in the nest but no eaglets were seen.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 20, 2023 7:51 pm

I have reported on a nest in the area of Viaduct Flats in Saanich previously but haven't visited the area yet this nesting season. My birding partner visited the area on Tues. May 16th and said there were no adults seen or heard in the area; and there are 3 different nests in the area.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”