Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:08 pm

I visited the nest near Mt. Doug park on Monday and the 2 big dark eaglets were both sitting up in the nest. I was hoping to see one or both of them flapping their wings but will visit again soon. I did not see or hear either of the adults.
Mt. Doug Eaglets 19 July 2021.JPG
Mt. Doug Eaglet(3) 19 July 2021.JPG
Mt. Doug Eaglet(4) 19 July 2021.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:13 pm

My birding partner visited the nest near Mt. Doug park yesterday and was shocked to see the nest has fallen :( It was starting to fall when I last visited on July 19th; see photo in above post. Fortunately both eaglets had already fledged and she located them perched in nearby trees. I am hoping to visit the nest area in the next few days.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:57 pm

On June 27th my birding partner checked on the nest near Viaduct Flats. Unfortunately, one of the eaglets had left the nest early and was in the property owner's field. This is a repeat of what happened last season. The property owner chased it through the gate so it could go to the forested area and have some protection.

She checked on the eaglet again on July 3rd and the eaglet was still on the ground in the forested area of the property and was being fed by the parents :yes:

She went back on July 13th and heard both eaglets calling but didn't see them :(

She went again on July 27th and a neighbour reported seeing the eaglet flying into the trees the previous week :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm

I have reported previously on an eagle nest at the south end of Pat Bay, which is difficult to view unless you have a spotting scope. My birding partner and I have seen eaglets in this nest in past years and on May 4th we saw an adult sitting in the nest. We were both certain we saw an eaglet moving around. I took this photo which isn't the best quality due to the distance the nest tree is away from the parking lot where the Coast Guard boats dock. You can see the white head of the adult in the nest and a little fuzzy head in front of the adult, in the middle of the photo.
South Pat Bay Eagles 4 May 2021.JPG

On July 13th my birding partner saw 1 eaglet in the nest. The pair of adults quite often perch in the trees on a property in the residential area near Munro Rd. & Tsaykum Rd. near the First Nations property.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:15 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:07 pm

This is the opening post for the 2021-2022 nesting season.

This thread is for posting observations and photos of eagle nests that don't have their own dedicated thread set up. You are welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles if you see them in their territory.

I was at Panama Flats Sep. 9th and decided to take a few photos of the eagle nest that was built this past spring.
If the eagles return and begin nestorations on this nest in the new year I will open a dedicated thread.
Panama Flats Eagle Nest 9 Sep. 2021.JPG
Panama Flats Eagle Nest Tree 9 Sep. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Southern Vancouver Island & Lower Mainland BC Eagle Nests - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:16 pm

I reported on this nest near Mt. Douglas park this past nesting season where 2 eaglets successfully fledged. Sadly their nest fell shortly after the fledge. I visited the nest site Oct. 13th and did not see or hear any eagles in the area. I will be checking again during the season for a new nest. Unfortunately the nest tree is dead so I hope they find a better tree to build a new nest in.
Mount Doug Eagle Nest Tree 12 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm

I have previously reported on this eagle nest near Island View Beach and this past nesting season 2 eaglets successfully fledged :thumlft: I visited this nest area on Oct. 13th and was sad to see the nest has fallen :( I will be checking on this nest site during the nesting season.
Spooner Way Eagle Nest(1) 13 Oct. 2021.JPG
Spooner Way Eagle Nest 13 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:42 pm

I previously reported on this nest at the south end of Pat Bay. We have not found a good vantage point to view this nest and will continue to search over the next few months.

I viewed the nest site on Oct. 13th from West Saanich Road near the Coast Guard docks. The nest is closer to the right side of the photo, in the dip where the trees are separated. We did not see or hear any eagles in the area.
South Pat Bay Eagle Nest 13 Oct. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:45 pm

I visited the eagle nest at Panama Flats in Saanich on Oct. 18th. Both eagles were perched above the nest looking out over the hundreds of ducks foraging on the flats.
Panama Flats Eagles 18 Oct. 2021.JPG
Panama Flats Eagle(1) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

This photo was taken at 5:22pm as the sun was going down lower in the sky.
Panama Flats Eagle(2) 18 Oct. 2021.JPG

As the season progresses and if the eagles produce young in the spring I will create a dedicated thread for this nest.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:43 am

Due to having hip replacement surgery 2 weeks ago, I will not be able to get out to check on the nests for awhile. My birding partner will forward her observations to me when she visits some nests. These are her observations over the past couple of weeks:

Panama Flats - seen perched and nest building
Viaduct Flats - 1adult seen perched near the nest
Elk Lake - pair seen perched along lake by nest area
Mount Douglas - adult perched near nest site along shore

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:04 pm

My birding partner has confirmed the Mount Douglas, Viaduct Flats & Panama Flats nests have been active so far this season :woohoo: The Mount Douglas nest fell down at the end of last year's nesting season but the eagles have built a new nest very close by, although it is not as visible. I will try to visit the nest areas soon, when the weather here gets better. It has been very unsettled lately with rain, wind & hail :holdon: :(

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:57 am

My birding partner has been aware of this eagle nest in the Happy Valley area for a few years. One of the neighbours told her there have been eaglets produced every year, although she has never seen any the times she visited the nest area.

I visited this nest area on Thursday Apr.14th and saw an adult in the nest and another adult delivering branches. The eagle dropped the first branch in the middle of the road just a few meters from where we were standing then perched very low down in a nearby tree. A couple of minutes later it flew off with a branch from that tree, circled around and dropped it in the nest. The eagle in the nest proceeded to rearrange the branch then settled down to incubate. We saw the other eagle circling over the area and eventually out of sight. There are 2 different vantage points to view this nest and I will visit this nest again throughout the season. I will open a dedicated thread if the eagles appear to be feeding eaglets :thumlft:

The nest tree.
Luxton Rd. Eagle Nest Tree 14 Apr. 2022.JPG

This photo was taken from the nearby residential street.
Luxton Rd. Eagles(1) 14 Apr. 2022.JPG

This photo was taken from across the road from the nest tree just after the eagle dropped the branch in the nest.
Luxton Rd. Eagles(2) 14 Apr. 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:59 am

Happy Valley nest cont'd.

A few photos of the eagle rearranging the branch.
Luxton Rd. Eagles(3) 14 Apr. 2022.JPG
Luxton Rd. Eagles(4) 14 Apr. 2022.JPG
Luxton Rd. Eagles(5) 14 Apr. 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:46 am

I have reported on this nest at the south end of Pat Bay in the past and viewed it from the little park near the Coast Guard docks on West Saanich Rd. on Apr. 13th. One eagle was in the nest and the other one was perched in a nearby tree. We have not yet found a closer vantage point but my birding partner is able to get a good look through her scope. We will continue to observe this nest throughout the season.

South Pat Bay Eagles(2) 13 Apr. 2022.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”