Saxe Pt. Park Eagles, Esquimalt BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Saxe Pt. Park Eagles, Esquimalt BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Welcome to the Saxe Pt. Park Eagles thread for the 2019-2024 seasons. This thread is for observations, photos, videos and discussion of the eagles who inhabit this nest in Saxe Pt. Park within the Municipality of Esquimalt in BC. These eagles also spend time at the other end of Munro Street at Fleming Beach/Buxton Green and Macaulay Point. Sadly the eagles did not produce any young this past season. Please feel welcome to post your photos and observations of the Saxe Pt. Park eagles when you visit their nest area.

Observations and photos of this eagle family for previous seasons:

2018/2019 Season here
2017/2018 Season here

Links to seasons 2010 through 2017 can be found here

Link to the opening post for the 2021/2022 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2022/2023 nesting season here

Link to the opening post for the 2023/2024 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Saxe Pt. Park Eagles, Esquimalt BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by sassyk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:23 pm

I spent some time in the park today. I didn't see or hear the eagles anywhere in the area but there was quite a bit of whitewash on the side of the path near their nest tree.
IMG_5708 - Copy.JPG

A few sticks have been added to their nest. Photo taken from the top of the beach.
IMG_5709 - Copy.JPG

Photo taken from the inside path showing the back of the nest.
IMG_5707 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I went to the park this afternoon, hoping to see the eagles. They were not in the park but I spotted one at the top of their perch tree on Plaskett Place, which is a block down the road from the park. When I got out of my vehicle I could see only the one eagle at the top of the tree but when I crossed the road I saw the second one down lower in the tree.
IMG_5846 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5851 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the other side of the tree.
IMG_5856 - Copy.JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Don't forget the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival is this Weekend!

Experience this Natural Phenomenon in 2019

The 24 Annual Festival - November 16-17, 2019

Download a map HERE! And just follow the Scenic 7 Highway - 30 minutes east of Mission, BC to the Harrison River/Harrison Mills, BC

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:05 pm

I went to the park today to see if the nest is intact. It is but looks very neglected! We did not see the eagles anywhere in the area.
IMG_6477 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6478 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 pm

I went to the park yesterday and both eagles were perched in the big tree at the end of the paking lot. They seemed quite content to just sit there and look over their territory :thumlft:
IMG_6554 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6556 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6560 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:23 pm

I went to the park on March 6th but didn't see or hear the eagles anywhere in the park or down the road on their perch trees :( It didn't look like any new sticks had been added to their nest :(

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 09, 2020 8:52 am

I went to the park yesterday but sadly did not see or hear the eagles anywhere in the park or down the road in their perch trees. Their nest looks very neglected so I am assuming they are not raising a family this season :( I took some photos of the nest from both sides.
Saxe Pt. Nest(1) 8 May.JPG
Saxe Pt. Nest(2) 8 May.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Due to the situation with the virus, I haven't been going out to check on the nests. My birding partner visited the park on Apr. 2nd and saw an adult in the nest. It came out briefly and both eagles chased some ravens off then one adult went back into the nest.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Saxe Pt. Park Eagles, Esquimalt BC - 2019/2020/2021 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not been able to get out to check the activities of the eagles. Therefore this thread will be continuing to include observations, photos & videos of the eagles for the 2020/2021 nesting season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the eagles will produce offspring this season :luck:

I hope to visit the park very soon.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 pm

I visited the park yesterday afternoon and did not see or hear the eagles. However, when I drove down the road from the park I spotted one perched at the top of the tree they usually perch in on Plaskett Place. It was getting late in the day and the lighting wasn't too good.
IMG_0452 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0460 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0465 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 pm

I visited the park today to check the nest which looks like it will need a bit more nestorating before eggs are laid :luck: One of the eagles flew in and landed in the tallest tree at the end of the parking lot. I managed to get a couple of photos before it started raining.
Saxe Pt. Park Eagle Nest 20 Nov. 2020.JPG
Saxe Pt. Park Eagle(1) 20 Nov. 2020.JPG
Saxe Pt. Park Eagle(2) 20 Nov. 2020.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:24 am

I visited the park yesterday but did not see or hear the eagles. They were not down the road in their perch tree or out on the rocks offshore :( However, others have seen them in their favourite perch tree at the end of the parking lot in the park.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:44 pm

I visited the park today and still did not see or hear the eagles anywhere in the
park or in the area. Their nest looks neglected; no new sticks :(

IMG_1158 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”