Porpoise Bay nest, Inlet Rd. Sechelt BC, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2022

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Re: East Porpoise Bay Rd, Sechelt BC Eagles' Nest, by the Blue Heron sign, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2020

Post by heatherj » Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 pm

That definitely looks like feeding Sandra - good news! :)

We were up at the Deluxe Garden Centre yesterday and as we parked by OK Tire I noticed the great view of the nest from that spot. Its still quite a way but what a great eye level view. With good binos or a telephoto lens thats a great location to watch the nest. I saw one adult perched at the top of another tree near the nest tree. No pics this time but I'll definitely head back some time soon with my camera :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: East Porpoise Bay Rd, Sechelt BC Eagles' Nest, by the Blue Heron sign, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2020

Post by heatherj » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:42 pm

I visited the nest on June 4 with stim and saw lots of eagle activity from the road outside OK Tire. An adult was perched next to the nest tree, a lump in the nest that looked as though it might possibly be an eaglet and lots of eagles flying overhead. Two adults having what appeared to be a dispute and then a few juveniles also flying around.

Adult perched next to the nest tree
HWF_BlueHeron_20200604_8812.jpg
Maybe an eaglet in the nest?
HWF_BlueHeron_20200604_8814.jpg
Aerial eagle dispute
HWF_BlueHeron_20200604_8818.jpg
Adult flying overhead
HWF_BlueHeron_20200604_8823.jpg
Juvenile flying overhead
HWF_BlueHeron_20200604_8827.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Yesterday (June 20) I drove past the nest and most definitely saw a juvenile perched at the nest. I was driving so didn't get a proper look but the eaglet might have been on the edge of the nest or perhaps even a branch. Plus I got a glimpse of another eagle behind the juvenile. It was in shadow so I couldn't tell if it was another juvenile or an adult but it did seem to be all dark so perhaps another eaglet. :luck:

So definitely 1 eaglet and perhaps even 2 at this nest :D

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:22 am

Well done Heather! It is so good to have confirmation of an eaglet or 2 here.
I have my pics on my desktop, still weeding them out. Will post soon! One would think hobbies would take over more during isolation! :w00t:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:07 pm

I was up at the garden centre today and from outside OK Tire saw one sizeable eaglet wingercising in the nest and also on a branch to the right of the nest. Plus a smaller head on the left of the nest. So looks like we have two eaglets in this nest :clap:

Also I saw a few adult eagles circling around in the general area but as its relatively close to the dump there I'm not sure if any of them were Ma or Pa.
HWF_BlueHeron_20200630_3004.jpg
HWF_BlueHeron_20200630_3025.jpg
HWF_BlueHeron_20200630_3055.jpg
HWF_BlueHeron_20200630_3058.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 am

My pics weren't worth posting. I'm so glad you saw what you did Heather! Awesome news. Looking forward to pics.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:06 pm

The 2020-2021 Season starts here

stim
Content Provider

Re: Porpoise Bay nest, Inlet Rd. Sechelt BC beside the Blue Heron sign, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2021

Post by stim » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 am

On Oct 25 I was driving up Inlet Rd toward the dump when I spotted a fledgling with a very dark head perched in a tree about a block before coming to the nest tree, same side of the road. Then what a joy to spot both adults perched very close to the nest tree. As I parked the car near the landscaping business they flew from their perch but I'm sure they were circling overhead as more and more eagles flew up to join them in the sunshine.
I can't guarantee this is one of them but I suspect so as it was guiding another eagle away from the nest tree area.
5238.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Porpoise Bay nest, Inlet Rd. Sechelt BC beside the Blue Heron sign, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2021

Post by stim » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 pm

We drove past the nest again yesterday and 1 adult was in the same perch tree near the nest tree. :thumlft:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:45 pm

On March 8 I returned to this nest but saw no eagles at all. The nest looks good and solid.
5339.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 pm

I visited the Garden Centre last weekend and took a peek at the nest from the parking lot. No obvious activity in the area but the nest looked good and solid. Looking at the pics on the back of my camera, maybe a suspicion of a fuzzy head just visible over the top of the nest but I will get a better look once I have uploaded my pics

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:52 am

Cool Heather, looking forward to seeing what you may have discovered. I've driven under the nest a few times but always on a mission to Porpoise Bay Provincial Park for one outside get together or another.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Re: Porpoise Bay nest, Inlet Rd. Sechelt BC, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2022

Post by gemini » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:17 am

The 2021-2022 season starts here

stim
Content Provider

Re: Porpoise Bay nest, Inlet Rd. Sechelt BC, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2022

Post by stim » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Sharon thank you for getting this thread ready for use this nesting season. We really have no confirmation of eaglets at the nest last year, although parents were around.
Hoping for a nesting season we can confirm coming up!

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”