Pandora (Lafarge) Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Pandora neighbour

Re: Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion - 2018-2020

Post by Pandora neighbour » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:41 am

Good morning, thank you so much for the warm welcome. Yesterday, I was able to observe one of the eaglets branching. I noticed it was further up the tree and was fortunate to see it "fly" from one branch to another. The other eaglet was flapping its wings from the comfort of the nest. I borrowed my brother's camera as it has a 60xs zoom. I managed to get one photo with the wings out.
image0.jpeg

Darlene
Admin

Post by Darlene » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:45 am

Yay, what a perfect picture. Thank you for sharing it and for watching out for this family!
Darlene, Langley, member since May 10 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:53 am

Pandora neighbour wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:41 am
Good morning, thank you so much for the warm welcome. Yesterday, I was able to observe one of the eaglets branching. I noticed it was further up the tree and was fortunate to see it "fly" from one branch to another. The other eaglet was flapping its wings from the comfort of the nest. I borrowed my brother's camera as it has a 60xs zoom. I managed to get one photo with the wings out.
image0.jpeg

WOW ! This eaglet is beautiful :rh: thank you so much :huggie:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 am

Thank you so much, Pandora neighbour - so happy to seem them looking good and know they're doing eagle things!

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:05 am

Hi Pandora Neighbour,
Wow - another great photo! Watching from my roof yesterday I also could see one of the eaglets branching and there has been a lot of wing flapping going on. It has been great to see.
So glad someone else in the neighbourhood is enjoying watching these eagles!!!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:18 am

Thanks for the photos and update, Pandora neighbour! So happy to see this family doing so well again! Pa is such great Dad having raised chicks all by himself twice now! He deserves a peaceful season for a change!

Pandora neighbour

Post by Pandora neighbour » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:23 am

Good morning. It has been a week since I have spotted an eaglet on a branch. I saw one of the adults fly in and out on Monday. Since Tuesday, the tree has been very quiet. I can only assume that they have all left to continue their adventures. In previous years, I was able to watch the eaglets practice their flying skills, but missed it this year. I will continue to monitor the nest and give any updates if I see any eagle activity.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:05 am

Thank you for this Pandora Neighbour. Hoping fledging was successful and flying is strong. The nest tree always seems so empty after it's done its job for another season. :bye 1:

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:47 am

I haven't seen or heard the eaglets for a bit either. I went by the nest yesterday and all was quiet - I guess they are off.
Looks like Pa and his new mate have had a successful season.
Just out of curiosity - has anyone noticed the turkey vultures in the neighboorhood? This is the first year that I have seen some flying here in East Vancouver. They are quite a sight!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Thank you for your reports, Pandora Neighbour and Eastvan Girl - happy to hear that Pa and his new mate had a successful season!

The Surrey Reserve fledglings have probably left the area - we haven't seen anyone at the nest for a couple of days. So it is time. :love:

Safe travels, young eagles - I hope you both have wonderful lives. :bye 1:

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi nesties coronavirus crazy Judi here I see pa LaFarge spread his joy again this season too bad I have to stay isolated so I can't leave my yard :grhug: :love: :bye 1:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Re: Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion - 2018-2021

Post by gemini » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:02 pm

This post marks the start of the 2020-2021 season.

For the 2019-2020 season Discussion

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi Everyone,
Well I was happy to see Pa and his mate 3 times at the nest last week, usually in the early morning. Pa on his favorite branch and his mate on what seems like her favorite branch on the south side of the tree. So nice to see these two again!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Wonderful news - thank you, Eastvan Girl!

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”