Pandora (Lafarge) Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2020-2021

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:23 am

Eastvan Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:05 pm
Pa on top of London Drugs - and running around the empty garden lot!
Great pictures - and Pa is looking wonderful! Thanks, Eastvan Girl!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Awww, good old Pa. Thanks for the photos. You are so lucky to be able to look out and see him/them. :D

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am

Hi Everyone,

I don't think that there will be any eaglets at the nest this year. I have barely seen the the adults in the past couple of weeks. At first, I thought that maybe they were just hunkered down in the nest, but I don't think so. There just isn't the usual flurry of activity I usually see at this time at the nest. (Usually, Pa is there every morning on his branch)
Also, I am wondering if the female that showed up with Pa this spring is the same one as last year? At first I thought she was the same, but then I noticed different behaviour with this female. Last year the female had her favourite branch and Pa had his. This year I noticed the two eagles often right next to each other on the same branch, which was nice to see, but very different than last years past.
And up until a couple of weeks ago I would see them at the nest or tree, but not so much anymore.
I will keep watching, perhaps I am wrong. I hope I am.
Hope everyone is doing okay!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu May 06, 2021 11:06 am

Eastvan Girl wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am
Hi Everyone,

I don't think that there will be any eaglets at the nest this year. I have barely seen the the adults in the past couple of weeks. At first, I thought that maybe they were just hunkered down in the nest, but I don't think so. There just isn't the usual flurry of activity I usually see at this time at the nest. (Usually, Pa is there every morning on his branch)
Also, I am wondering if the female that showed up with Pa this spring is the same one as last year? At first I thought she was the same, but then I noticed different behaviour with this female. Last year the female had her favourite branch and Pa had his. This year I noticed the two eagles often right next to each other on the same branch, which was nice to see, but very different than last years past.
And up until a couple of weeks ago I would see them at the nest or tree, but not so much anymore.
I will keep watching, perhaps I am wrong. I hope I am.
Hope everyone is doing okay!
Thank You Eastvan Girl for letting us know and for keeping a close watch... I hope things change . :luck: Nice to see Two Eagles together :love:

All is good here .. hope all is well with you and yours . Be safe and Stay Well

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am

Thanks so much for posting, Eastvan Girl! I wonder if they are nesting somewhere else and were just using the tree from previous years as a perching area. But if this is a new female, it's not unusual for a new pair to have eggs the first year - so I guess we continue to wait and see what happens next!

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am

I watched them getting the nest ready. Pa quite often was in the old community garden bringing back sticks and things to the nest. But maybe they have moved somewhere else? I will keep watching. I really hope I am wrong.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am

Thank you for this information Christine. Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised by a grey fuzzy head in the nest soon. But if this is a new female, they sometimes like to choose another nest location, sometimes to end up back at the original site in a year or 2. Don't give up! :roll:

Pandora neighbour

Post by Pandora neighbour » Tue May 18, 2021 7:52 am

I have also been wondering about what was happening at the nest. In the middle of April, there seemed to be a lot of activity. I had noticed a nest exchange a couple of times and thought that eggs had been laid. Their behaviours seem to change at the beginning of May and the tree seemed too quiet. I did notice them sitting together in the tree occasionally. Last week, early in the morning, I did see a fly in with the usual entourage of crows and seagulls. The adult flew into the nest. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed both adults in the nest and took some pictures with my phone. Hopefully, they have a family this year.
20210517_133212.jpg

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Tue May 18, 2021 8:33 am

Hi Pandora Neighbour,

I have also been keeping a good eye on the nest because I noticed it had been too quiet also (glad there are others out there watching this nest).
In the last few days I have noticed both adults at the nest again - but I have yet to spot any young in the nest.
This morning they were both at the tree again - so that was good to see.
If I do spot any young I'll post right away - and hopefully get a photo!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:40 am

Reserved

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:40 am

Reserved

gemini
Admin

Re: Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2022

Post by gemini » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:45 am

~

This post marks the start of the 2021-2022 season.

For the 2020-2021 season Discussion

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 am

Hi Everyone,

Well I didn't see any eaglets in the nest this whole past season - let's hope for better with the new season.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:59 am

Thanks for the update, Eastvan Girl!

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”