Willis Point Eagles, North Saanich, BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Willis Point Eagles, North Saanich, BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:36 am

Welcome to the Willis Point Eagles thread for the 2018/2019 season. This is an established nest that I viewed for the first time in April of this year and the only info I have is that it was built after the eagles' previous nest tree blew down. It is in the Willis Point area of North Saanich, BC. There were 2 healthy looking eaglets in this nest and they both had fledged at the end of the nesting season. Please feel welcome to post observations, photos and videos of this eagle family if you visit their nest area.

Observations and photos of these eagles can be viewed here.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Willis Point Eagles, North Saanich, BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 am

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday and spotted both adult eagles perched in separate trees near the junction of Willis Pt. road and Wallace Dr. There were a few telephone company repair vehicles gathering in the area and the eagles both flew off, one after the other, heading towards West Saanich Rd. We didn't visit the nest site due to the traffic holdup.

I think this was the male.
IMG_8111 - Copy.JPG

And the female.
IMG_8113 - Copy.JPG

Wide angle view with both eagles visible.
IMG_8116 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 pm

On Jan 23rd my birding partner visited the nest; plastic bags were still hanging off the side of the nest. No eagles were seen at first then saw one adult and an immature circling over Tod Flats

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday and found one of the eagles perched in the same tree as the last time I visited. I'm sure this is the female. We saw a juvenile flying in the distance and disappeared behind the trees where the nest tree is. We did not drive up the road to see the nest as there was a few maintenance trucks along the road.
IMG_9811 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 pm

I visited the nest area today; we couldn't get near our usual vantage point due to construction of the sewer pipes. However, we found a good (or even better) vantage point from Wallace Dr. There was one eagle sitting in the nest. We did not see any fuzzy heads so they either still have eggs or are brooding very young eaglets.
Willis Pt. Nest 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:39 pm

I visited this nest area yesterday and again could not get near the usual vantage point on Willis Pt. Rd. due to the ongoing sewer project. We viewed it from the alternate vantage point on Wallace Dr. and were very pleased to see an eaglet or possibly 2 eaglets in the nest :woohoo:

The female was perched at the side of the nest preening.
Willis Point Eagle(1).JPG

The female flew to a nearby tree and continued preening.
Willis Point Eagle(2).JPG

An eaglet eventually made an appearance and flapped its wings a few times.
Willis Point Eaglet.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:25 pm

I checked on this nest again yesterday and we were very appreciative of the property caretaker to let us roam the area to get a better look at the nest. There is one healthy looking eaglet in the nest but we did not see a second one. The eaglet flapped its wings a few times and jumped up on a stump at the side of the nest. The Mom was perched in a nearby tree then flew off chasing a sub-adult. There were a lot of eagles, vultures and a few red-tailed hawks in the area due to the close proximity to the landfill.
Willis Pt. Eaglet(1).JPG
Willis Pt. Female.JPG
Willis Pt. Female & Eaglet(1).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Willis Pt. Female & Eaglet(2).JPG
Willis Pt. Female & Eaglet(3).JPG
Willil Pt. Eaglet(2).JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am

David Hancock is pleased to invite all Hancock Wildlife Foundation volunteers and friends to celebrate

Fledgefest 2019

Sunday, August 18
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RSVP REQUIRED BY BY AUGUST 1ST TO:
Rosana Inacio: [email protected]
or
Sharon (gemini): [email protected]
See details HERE

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:07 pm

On June 24th my birding partner saw one eaglet on edge of nest calling then layed down. No adults were seen or heard.

I viewed the nest this afternoon from our original vantage point. The lone eaglet was sitting low in the nest with its head visible. It was calling to a parent perched in a nearby tree. It was quite a miserable day today; drizzling rain most of the day. There has been a bunch of plastic in the nest since last year.
Tod Flats Eaglet.JPG
Tod Flats Adult.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:15 pm

A new thread for the Willis Point eagles for the 2019/2020 season has been created here. This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”