Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
Calypso

Re: Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by Calypso » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm

A mature bald eagle flew over Dallas Road at 10:20 this morning. It was near the flagpole and was pretty much following the road.

txelements

Post by txelements » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:27 am

PGully wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm
I am relatively new to Victoria and find that I can view the (a) Bald Eagle nest from my home to the east of the park. Is the nest between the playground and the bandshell the one that is being referred to in the posts as being near the totem pole? I saw the changeover between the adults yesterday morning.
Hi & welcome to HWF, PGully. Glad to have you.

I'm in north, FL. so I can't answer your question but I know someone will. It will be great to have another set of eyes on a local nest. :)
I've never been to Victoria but know of the area from pics and info from ones who do.

Hope to see more of you on the forums. :hi:

Transplant from TX,
Naoma

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:50 pm

PGully wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm
I am relatively new to Victoria and find that I can view the (a) Bald Eagle nest from my home to the east of the park. Is the nest between the playground and the bandshell the one that is being referred to in the posts as being near the totem pole? I saw the changeover between the adults yesterday morning.
Hi PGully and welcome to our beautiful city of Victoria. I was born and raised in Victoria and Beacon Hill Park is one of my favourite places to visit. My Mom used to put us in a wagon and walk to the park when we were little. Perhaps we can meet there one day. I'm happy that you found the Hancock Wildlife Foundation forum; you are welcome to post your observations, photos and videos of the eagles here any time.

I'm not sure where you live but you are very lucky to be able to see the nest from your home. I have met many people who live in the apartment buildings across from the park on Douglas Street who have watched the eagles. The eagles have had a few nests in the park over the years; one was near the bandshell, but the current one is the one they have used many times in recent years. It is not near the totem pole and I am not aware of the eagles having a nest in the area of the totem pole. The best viewing point is at the beginning of the path across from the washroom building. That is where I usually stand to watch the nest. You can also see it from the playground area and the eagles use the adjacent tree as a perch and lookout tree. Is that where you saw the eagles yesterday?

We welcome observations, photos and videos of the eagles and it is especially nice to have a new pair of eyes watching them :thumlft:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks for posting your observations calypso. I'm quite certain the eagles head to Clover Point to hunt for prey and do their fishing :)

Hi Carolyn and Naoma. Thanks for posting your welcome messages and info for PGully :huggie: It's always nice to have new members watching the eagles :thumlft:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 pm

I was in the park for a short while this afternoon and there was one eagle in the nest.
I couldn't stay long and just saw the head.
IMG_0737 - Copy.JPG

PGully

Post by PGully » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks woodlands bleu and sassyk. I live on Park Blvd so am looking “up” at the nest and have a view of the activity but not into the nest.
The other morning I saw what was probably one of the adults on a log close to the water on the east side of Clover Point and on Friday my partner spied an adult in the trees on the south side of the park.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for your report PGully Always appreciated :thumlft:

I just got back from the park and saw an adult lying down in the nest. It looks promising for an eaglet or 2 this season :luck:
Beacon Hill Park Eagle 14 Apr. 2019.JPG

PGully

Post by PGully » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm

14:45
I am seeing two immatures flying around the nest with an adult and the head of an adult in the nest

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi PGully. Thanks for your info :thumlft: The immatures could be from the Beacon Hill nest from a previous year. It would depend on how old you think they were; the eagles didn't have young last season and only 1 from the previous season. Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful hatch this season :luck:

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 am

I forgot to post we saw an immature perched at Ross Bay Cemetery where the washrooms are at Memorial Crescent and Dallas Rd. This was a few days ago. We have seen immatures there in the past years.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

PGully

Post by PGully » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Maybe the same immatures. The ones I saw at the nest were about the same size as the adults. After looking at the Birds of Canada I would guess second year but I am no expert.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 pm

There was a lady posting photos on Facebook of a pair of eagles perched in a tree at the cemetery. I can’t remember her name but I thought the eagles might have been the ones from the Sylvan Lane nest :dunno:

PGully

Post by PGully » Fri May 31, 2019 2:40 pm

Re: the Bald Eagle nest in Beacon Hill Park: from my vantage point I think that I can see at least one young flapping its wings in the nest with an adult sitting just above.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri May 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi PGully. Thanks so much for your observations. This is very good news :thumlft: I was away from May 3rd until May 28th and haven't had time to get to the park since getting back. I plan to go sometime this weekend :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:36 pm

I went to the park this afternoon and was surprised to see the size of the 2 eaglets in the nest :woohoo: One was standing on the side of the nest exercising its wings.
Beacon Hill Eaglets(1).JPG
Beacon Hill Eaglets(2).JPG
Beacon Hill Eaglets(3).JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”