Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC 2018-2022

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC 2018-2022

Post by heatherj » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Welcome to the Sargeant Bay nest thread. The nest is in the community of Halfmoon Bay on the Sunshine Coast of BC west of Sechelt. Old forum thread here

If you visit the Sargeant Bay nest you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

The nest is located behind the Pointhouse Suites on Sargeant Bay and appears to be on private property. The nest is visible from the public trail along the beach in the Provincial Park. The best viewpoint of the nest that I have found from the public trail is just before the Lightning Tree info stand which is close to the end of the trail. The viewpoint is about 10-15 paces (depending on the length of your pace) before the stand. Look over past and to the left of the big outcrop and you should see the nest. Note the pictures in this post are from a different spot, much closer to the parking lot so the nest tree appears on the other side of the rock.

This nest is new to the forum in 2017 and I know very little about the history of the nest or this pair of eagles. I have visited Sargeant Bay many times since 2011 and have often seen eagles soaring above the ridge behind the bay. I have also occasionally seen eagles perched on various trees around the bay so I have suspected there has been a nest somewhere on or near the bay but this is the first time I have spotted the nest. If anyone has any more details it would be great to find out a bit of the history of this pair and nest.

SargeantBay.JPG
HWF_SargeantBay_20161204_4465.JPG
HWF_SargeantBay_20161204_4524.JPG
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Sargeant Bay, Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC

Some pics from the 2016/2017 season

Ma and Pa from Feb 2017
HWF_SargeantBay_20170225_7972.JPG
One adult in the nest from May 2017
HWF_SargeantBay_20170506_1287-2.JPG
Ma and Pa from June 2017
HWF_SargeantBay_20170616_4790.JPG
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Sargeant Bay, Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC

Reserved

marg
Content Provider

Re: Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC

Post by marg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am

Hi Heather, best wishes for the upcoming season for the Sargeant Bay Nest! :D
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks Marg!

I visited Sargeant Bay on Mar 18 and saw some very nice eagle activity- not the greatest of pictures as it all happened so fast but I hope they give an idea of what happened :)

This all happened on the west side of the bay, so on opposite side from the nest that is above the B&B. I looked for a nest in the trees around where they were perched but didn't see anything. So this might have been the pair that I have seen above the B&B or perhaps the other pair that I have been told about that get fed chicken fat by one of the residents! The chase was very fast and furious so looked pretty serious.
Attachments
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6420.JPG
Adult flying from the east side to the west side of the bay....
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6446.JPG
.... he landed below another adult already sitting about half way along the west side of the bay. I'm guessing the top eagle is the female as she looks so much bigger
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6449.JPG
The smaller eagle then flew up beside the other eagle and they both started calling out together ....
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6453.JPG
.... then relaxed for a few minutes
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6456.JPG
Then one adult took off ....
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6457.JPG
... and started to chase a juvenile around that side of the bay
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6458.JPG
... and chased ...
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6462.JPG
... and chased ...
HWF_SargeantBay_20180318_6463.JPG
And then flew back to perch with the other adult as the juvenile flew away from the area.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Good activity seen Heather! I'll be up that way soon for a haircut. Will stop by and see if I can spot the nest this year! Before going I will check your directions! :w00t:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Hair got cut on Tues and there I was at Sergeant Bay still unable to find your nest. I don't know how you ever found it! No eagles were seen, even though people have told me there is another nest on the opposite side of the bay as well as yours. I remember seeing the sign about the lightening tree strike and know the B&B house. I was looking there for eagles and the nest tree. Next visit hopefully I will find it and kudos to you for having done so!
No beavers seen in the nearby dam. I did see a favourite bird of mine, oyster catcher scavenging on the beach as well as many little white capped sparrows on the ground scavenging. Best I can offer.
It is such a wonderful place to visit.
1129.jpg
1111.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Great pictures Sandra - I love Oystercatchers too. But I'm sorry you didn't find the nest. I'm happy to go there together some time if you'd like me to show you the nest. Just let me know and we can set up a time. :)

I've just realised that I have a few photos from Mar 31 that I haven't yet posted. Both Ma and Pa were perched on branches near the nest tree so perhaps not brooding yet

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:25 am

Heather, thanks for finding the nests. Over the years we have walked at Sargeant Bay and spotted eagles in the trees to the right and also once spotted an eagle in the trees to the left of the bay. In 2007 some of the HWF members visited the area with me and we saw eagles there, we never saw a nest though (no zoom cameras with us capable of finding one at that time....). :(
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm

heatherj wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm
Great pictures Sandra - I love Oystercatchers too. But I'm sorry you didn't find the nest. I'm happy to go there together some time if you'd like me to show you the nest. Just let me know and we can set up a time. :)

I've just realised that I have a few photos from Mar 31 that I haven't yet posted. Both Ma and Pa were perched on branches near the nest tree so perhaps not brooding yet
I would like one more chance to find the nest myself. I don't want to give up yet. Then either way we could always plan a trip out together to check on them. :thumlft:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:37 pm

I got back to this lovely Bay on June 19 and still could not find the nest tree nor did I see any eagles. Heather, I think a visit together is now in order if the offer still stands! :D

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 pm

Sorry you didn't see the nest Sandra. Absolutely, I'm happy to visit together sometime. I'll email to setup a date/time. :)

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm

So my last post was for Mar 18 .... which is quite a while ago! :oops2:

On Mar 31 I visited and saw 2 adults sitting on separate trees near the nest tree. I took them from the parking lot end of the bay and Ma and Pa were sitting near the B&B so they are very cropped and not very clear. Its hard to tell which is which!
Attachments
HWF_SargeantBay_20180331_6809.jpg
HWF_SargeantBay_20180331_6816.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 pm

One of the adults must have flown off without me noticing as shortly after I saw an adult flying back towards the B&B. The adult landed on the same tree as the other adult this time, just higher up. I don't have any pics of the nest from this visit.
Attachments
HWF_SargeantBay_20180331_6820.jpg
HWF_SargeantBay_20180331_6823.jpg
HWF_SargeantBay_20180331_6838.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I next visited on May 7 and saw one adult sitting near the nest tree but nothing visible in the nest.
Attachments
HWF_SargeantBay_20180507_7244.jpg
HWF_SargeantBay_20180507_7290.jpg

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”