Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC 2018-2022

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
gemini
Admin

Re: Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC 2018-2020

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Visiting again on June 30 I saw no evidence of any juveniles but I did get a flyover from an adult

HWF_SargeantBay_20200630_2946.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 pm

2020/21 season starts here

:luck: :luck: :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC 2018-2021

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I visited on Dec 3 and saw at least 1 adult eagle at the marsh. The nest in the tree above the B&B looked as though it had collapsed on one side so it will be interesting to see if they repair it. I have never seen any eaglets in this nest so I have been wondering if this is an old nest and they are actually using a different nest. If they repair this one, there will be my answer! :)

Collapsed nest
HWF_SargeantBay_20201203_9503.jpg
One adult, I think Pa passing overhead
HWF_SargeantBay_20201203_9585.jpg
One adult, I think Ma, hunting or perhaps looking for sticks
HWF_SargeantBay_20201203_9592.jpg
One adult, I think Ma, hunting or perhaps looking for sticks
HWF_SargeantBay_20201203_9616.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:35 am

Good deduction Heather! :w00t:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Thanks Sandra! :)

I visited on Dec 27 and not much activity as it was a pretty grey day. I saw one adult and one juvenile perched on separate trees.

One adult
HWF_SargeantBay_20201227_0456.jpg
One misty juvenile
HWF_SargeantBay_20201227_0467.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:49 pm

I visited on Jan 7 and saw 2 adults perched near the nest and at one time a lot of eagles adults and juvenile circling overhead, plus a couple of red-tailed hawks. Must have been a thermal building :)

One adult in the tree as I arrived
HWF_SargeantBay_20210107_0759.jpg
Two adults in their tree as I left
HWF_SargeantBay_20210107_1041.jpg
Part of the circling flock, 1 adult eagle and 1 Red-tailed hawk
HWF_SargeantBay_20210107_0975.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:27 pm

I visited last week and saw 1 adult eagle perched near the B&B. I checked the old nest tree but couldn't really tell if the nest had been rebuilt. I haven't uploaded my pics yet but they might help :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 pm

I visited today and though I didn't see any eagles it did look as though the nest had been rebuilt! Yay! :) I'll look at my pics more closely once I have uploaded them to be certain.

There is a lot of construction nearby for that new housing development - I could hear diggers going the whole time I was visiting. But nothing is visible from the park so hopefully its far enough away that it won't bother them. :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:04 pm

I visited several times through the summer and saw no activity at the nest tree. But each time I visited I heard lots of construction activity from the new development on that side of the bay. The construction didn't seem to be near the tree but with it being so noisy its possible Ma and Pa moved on.

On one visit I did see a pair of adults circling above the trees at the back of the marsh. So maybe Ma and Pa moved nests for 2020/21???? :dunno: It will be interesting to see what happens with this pair in 2021/22 :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:05 pm

2021/2022 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Sargeant Bay Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay Sunshine Coast, BC 2018-2022

Post by heatherj » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:47 pm

I have visited a few times since the start of the new season and have seen adults on some of my visits. My most recent visit was last Thursday (Mar 10) and I saw no eagles that time. Again a lot of construction noise nearby. Its a bit tricky to say for sure as I was looking from across the bay but one new build did seem very close to the nest tree. But it may just have been the perspective.

But I could see the nest in the tree and it looked pretty sturdy so I think the adults have been carrying on with nesting as best they can.

Pics to follow.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”