Vanier Park Eagles - Seasons 2018 - 2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Vanier Park Eagles - 2018 & 2019 Seasons

Post by JudyB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Fall
Fund/Activity Drive
Update
First - big thanks to all those who have donated! We've raised $3777 so far this month, including 14 new nest adoptions and 2 new monthly donors, so we now have more than a dozen people donating towards our monthly expenses!

As some of us were discussing our needs, we realized that we may not have done as good a job as we might at letting those who enjoy the forum know what we need to make this an active, growing hub for information about eagles and other wildlife.

We definitely need your financial support. The response to this drive has been wonderful, and will help with the bills that pile up - and it would be wonderful if we could double our monthly donations. We need to pay every month for the server space where our website and this forum is located, for the internet service to connect some of the cams to the web, for the high-speed internet service to send the signals from the cams to YouTube so everyone can see them, and a few other similar expenses that I'm forgetting at the moment. We currently get about $250/month from our monthly donor program - and thank you so much to those of you who support us this way! And it would be great if another 20 or 30 people who enjoy posting on the forum or just reading about the eagles could join the program and make a monthly donation of $10 or $20 or whatever works. It's easy to do with CanadaHelps - just go to our Donations page (click here), click the Donate via CanadaHelps Now! link, click on Donate Monthly, enter an amount (they suggest $25, but that's just a suggestion - the amount you enter is the amount you'll give), leave a message if you'd like, and fill in your contact and payment information. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]).

But financial support is not all we need. We're calling this a Fund/Activity Drive because we really need those of you who enjoy what we're doing here to get more involved. What we need most of all is more people to watch our cameras and post observations. If you look at the threads for our primary nests (Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve and White Rock), you'll see that most of the posts on each thread are by the same 3 or 4 people. And they would love some help!

This is also a good time to add more zoomers. If you're interested, the first step is to pick one or two of our nests and start posting observations and learning a bit about the territory and the eagles by where the zoomers go to look for eagles. Once you're comfortable posting, let me or one of the zoomers at your chosen nest know you're interested in zooming, and we can go from there. :)

We don't expect people posting to know all about the eagles initially - I've been watching cams since 2006, and I'm having trouble telling the male and female apart at our new Surrey Reserve nest unless I can see the tiny mark on the male's tale or the tuft of feathers on the female's head - but I know as I watch them more, I'll learn more about how they move or where their favorite place to perch is - and it will be easier. It's perfectly fine to say "an adult came in at 9:03 am and moved some sticks" - and often one of the folks who have been watching longer can look back using the dvr feature on our cams and see which one it is - and we're all happy to share the clues we used to recognize the adult.

You don't need to watch constantly, or commit to watching at a certain time - just whenever you happen to be watching, post what you see. Or didn't see - a post like "I was watching the North cam from 10:30 to 11:00 and did not see any activity on the nest" is actually very helpful as we learn when the eagles are most likely to visit at this time of year.

If you have questions about posting observations, please feel free to contact me or any of the Topic Assistants who post on the thread you're interested in.

You can click here to go to our donations page - and remember that the amounts listed under various projects like Eagle Cam Repairs and Monthly Support are suggestions - you pick the amount you give. Thank you.

If you have questions, please contact me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]).

Thank you again to all who have donated or are donating time or money - we could not do this without your donations and without your observations, screenshots, videos, and hours spent zooming.

Mom White Rock wants to know why you're not watching her!
Screenshot courtesy of DDuckies2
(You can click to donate)

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 am

The pair have been hanging out and adding sticks a lot at the old Coast Guard nest. Usually they act agitated when an intruding eagle is nearby, but the other day they were calm when a juvenile landed in the CG nest tree. (Maybe one of theirs?)
Yesterday afternoon one of the pair was atop the nest in the bicycle park for a few minutes--here's a picture before it got super windy out:
IMG_8842.JPG

Diana
Content Provider

Post by Diana » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 am

I wasn’t going to say anything until I was sure but I have been there checking a few times a day since the female disappeared at the time the pole was taken down. She was gone 8 days and the male was alone . On the 9th day a female returned .. I now believe this is a new girl. She may prefer the
Coastguard nest to the bike park one but we can’t be sure yet. I noticed they haven’t been sleeping st the new nest site for weeks.. another sign that this is a new female or even a new pair. I am not positive about the male yet. I did see the female in the bike park nest two days ago. Eagles very often use two nests not far from each other. This may be the case here. The disturbances from Bard don’t start till March so we will see what happens.
I saw a juvenile as well a couple of days ago. They are calm with juveniles as long as they are not nesting. I’m glad that the Baby we released last year made it back... hopefully we will see the other one as well. I also noticed a different pair soaring overhead of the coastguard last evening at about 3:45. The Eagle was very agitated . TV can you see if you can get a pic of the juvenile?
I only have my iPhone and it’s been dark and rainy out when I have seen him. Thanks for posting, I’ve been busy checking the other 18 nests in Vancouver.

Di

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Our son Gary Cleven saw one of the eagles in the tree a few days ago.

"I took the photo of the eagle near the new nest near the bridge. There was an eagle near the other nest but it flew away while I took the photo of the other eagle."

Vanier nest - 1.jpg
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 am

Happy New Year!
I haven't seen much of these eagles at all recently (but I haven't been around that much either).
I think I saw the eagles in the trees one night but that was while I was driving over the Burrard Bridge and didnt get a good look.
I saw an eagle in the big trees near Kits Beach--where it meets Hadden Park--yesterday afternoon but I'm not sure which eagles are which.

The other afternoon at Vanier I saw waves and waves of crows (similar to what I see at Still Creek/Gilmore area). They were not "on the move" but were moving from the ground (where Bard on the Beach tents usually are) to roosting in the trees around the bike park and the CoV Archives.
IMG_9589.JPG
Edit Jan 4: saw an eagle at Vanier this AM.
FYI, there's a webcam on this area, but it's not a very good quality one: http://katkam.ca/default.aspx

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:39 pm

C3AAA6CC-3F0E-48ED-A924-A72F4860981E.jpeg
Jan 6 vanier
Two eagles back at the bike park today for a bit.

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Beautiful backdrop today for the pair:
3F462D9E-1A01-41E4-8247-50E6246FC677.jpeg

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:03 pm

A strange one yesterday: I was at the bike park with the kids when a juvenile flies in carrying something and lands on a branch above us. It starts gnawing, and after a few minutes drops the item. It falls like a rock and lands with a thud. After a bit we went and checked it out: a fist-sized sawed-off piece of branch (looked like birch).

CanadaLee

Post by CanadaLee » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 pm

tvkits wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:03 pm
A strange one yesterday: I was at the bike park with the kids when a juvenile flies in carrying something and lands on a branch above us. It starts gnawing, and after a few minutes drops the item. It falls like a rock and lands with a thud. After a bit we went and checked it out: a fist-sized sawed-off piece of branch (looked like birch).
Red-tailed hawks do this as well! I saw this happen a couple of years ago with pine cones. I guess they're practicing for prey!

Diana
Content Provider

Post by Diana » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Tim

If you see that juvenile again can you please take a picture of its legs...our babies from Vanier were banded last year after we took them to Owl. Juveniles do not practice hunting for prey, if they pick it up its because they think it is prey. This juvie dropped it after he found out it wasn't food. There seems to be a lack of food this year. There were 4 Eagles fighting for a dishcloth at Boundary Bay and we were called out to look for a juvenile that had been seen at a local beach. He was letting humans get to close and was prob feeling quite ill. He had a full crop and was eating styrofoam . He flew into a tree and couldn't be rescued.

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:08 am

I did take a picture but I can't post pictures to the forum any more. (I can upload, but the "place inline" option is gone.)

The photo is here:
https://imgur.com/a/K11n0HU

...but it's an iphone photo so you can't tell if its leg has been banded.

Diana
Content Provider

Post by Diana » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks Tim, hopefully he was banded which means he survived. A high percentage of babies do not survive the first year .

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:23 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

tvkits

Post by tvkits » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm

It looks like the pair have been adding a bunch of sticks to the nest platform in the bike park.

Diana
Content Provider

Post by Diana » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:11 pm

They have been adding sticks to both nests as they will be using both nests as a lot of Eagles do , especially when there is a lot of activity. They will be nesting soon so time to stay as far away as possible . This is a new female and we don’t know how much she will tolerate .

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”