Chilliwack Bald Eagles Seasons 2018-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

mmud
Content Provider

Re: Chilliwack Bald Eagles 2018 & 2019

Post by mmud » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm

When I got to the old Patterson Rd. nest I could see two white heads among the trees so parked again and walked up the road. There is a little salmon stream along the road and it's always a popular spot for the eagles this time of year.
I could hear eagles calling out but could only see the ones perched near the road.
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (7)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (8)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (9)-1.jpg
Joined HWF: Sun. Apr 12, 2009

mmud
Content Provider

Re: Chilliwack Bald Eagles

Post by mmud » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:54 pm

This pair may be the owners of what's left of the Patterson nest and the Panorama nest which is a short flight from here.
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (10)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (12)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (13)-1.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:54 pm

It's a nice walk and some eagles are perched right over the road.
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (11)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (14)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (15)-1.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (16)-1.jpg
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (17)-1.jpg

This one was perched directly over the creek and this was the only time it looked at me. The rest of the time was spent staring at the creek waiting for dinner to swim by.
Jan 29 09  Eagles Prairie Central-Patterson Rds (18)-1.jpg

I had a very enjoyable afternoon. :)

Iona

Post by Iona » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Hey Scott Nice little ride. Nice shot of the juvie playing peek a boo with you.

It's a shame people don't take the to enjoy nature.

Thanks for sharing

Iona

Post by Iona » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Wow I almost missed the second page. I'm blaming it on brain freeze, because it's so darn cold.

Great shots Thanks again

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 pm

:grhug: Great captures Scott it was only a matter of time that you went to show the rest of the Nesties just how our eagle population has grown in South Western BC due to our salmon and Herring Runs :woohoo: :thumlft:

Do you ever go out there with David or meet him there? Are you friends with the people who work at OWL? or have you met Christian who documents all the eagle goings on with David?

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:43 pm

Thank you Iona & Judi

David has been out here many times and the last time we spent the entire day with Karen checking many of the nests in the area. I have met Christian at a few events.
I have also met several people who work at OWL but have only been on releases with Judy when she used to do that.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:23 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

txelements

Post by txelements » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:15 am

Scott, Thank you for the lovely pictures.

You got some real beauties. :yes:

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Wed May 27, 2020 11:01 pm

This post marks the beginning of the 2019-2020 season.

For links to previous seasons go HERE (scroll down)

A nice hot day here and I decided to check a few nests. It's been quite a while since I've been able to get out again and I really wish I had taken a tour before the leaves filled in as I couldn't find a few nests. All the nests I used to have close access to are gone now except for two.
On April 16th I was in the area so checked the nest David had built last summer to replace one whose nest tree was being removed. The original nest was located behind Friendly Mike's Pub on Young Rd. and the new one is behind the Free Reformed Church on Yale Rd.
I didn't know David knew about those trees being removed until I spoke with him and he told me about the new nest. I couldn't see any eagles during the short time I was there.
FR Church Yale Rd nest-1.jpg

No eagles at the Panorama nest and I couldn't tell if there was any renovations to their Patterson Rd. nest. They haven't used it for a few years now.
Next stop was the Rosedale School nest. As I neared the area I could see an adult eagle perched near the nest. I parked then walked back just in time to catch a picture of tail feathers and talons.
Eagle Rosedale School nest (1)-2.jpg

The eagle landed in the nest bowl but I couldn't get a clear picture of it. When I got home I could see it peeking around the tree trunk watching me.
Eagle Rosedale School nest (2)-2.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 pm

A short distance away was another eagle which is probably the last one's mate. They called out as I was taking pics.
Eagle Yale Rd (2)-2.jpg
Eagle Yale Rd (3)-2.jpg
Eagle Yale Rd (4)-2.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Next stop was the Rosedale Ferry Road nest. Somewhere amongst the far trees is an eagle's nest which I couldn't spot today. I headed back into town and didn't check the other nest on the south side of the Rosedale Agassiz Bridge.

Driving down Camp River Road I couldn't find one of the harder to see nests so continued to Jesperson Rd. I pulled over and scanned the area as I used to see an eagle or two perched over the slough quite often.
I'm not sure if this was the nest I had been looking for but in the distance I could see an eagle perched above it's nest. Impossible to tell if there are eaglets or not.
Eagle at nest Camp River-2.jpg

On to the Kitchen Hall nest and there is at least one eaglet. This is the "new" nest the Kitchen Rd. pair built when their original nest near Mr. D's property was destroyed in a wind storm along with half their favorite perch tree.
This nest is far out in a field. I had a much clearer view using binoculars than I had with my camera.
Eaglet Kitchen Hall nest-2.jpg

I looked for the Ballam nest but couldn't spot it even after walking along the dyke to improve my view.
2 more nests I wanted to check so headed in their direction. I was lucky to spot a white head in a tree so pulled onto Reeves Rd. hoping for a better view.
As the eagle surveyed the area a Steller's Jay kept flitting around it but I was never able to get a pic with both in it.
Eagle Reeves Rd (1)-2.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Eagle Reeves Rd (2)-2.jpg

Another Jay landed near me and was watching the action.
Steller's Jay Reeves Rd-2.jpg

When I got to the Yale-Gibson nest I could see an eaglet standing in the nest.
Eaglet and adults Yale-Gibson nest (1)-2.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Wed May 27, 2020 11:12 pm

Once I took the pic and looked at the entire tree I could see the adults perched at the top. Not the first time I've missed the obvious here.
Eaglet and adults Yale-Gibson nest (2)-2.jpg

My final stop was the Sportsman platform nest that David had built when the original one was cut down due to safety concerns. I took a couple pics then the manager came out and told me there were 3 adult eagles here daily and an eaglet or eaglets in the nest.
It was quiet now but he said they usually showed up around 7: 30 pm. He also said there were 2 beavers with a kit who swam by around 8:30 every evening and whose lodge was not far away. I told him I'd try be back after dinner and left.
When I got home and had a quick look at the pics I could see an eaglet in the nest.
Eaglet and adult Sportsman nest (1)-2.jpg

I returned at 7:30 and could see an eagle perched near the nest before getting to the motel.
Eaglet and adult Sportsman nest (2)-2.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”