Re: Nico Wynd, Crescent Beach, BC 2018-2024 Bald Eagle Nest

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Nico Wynd, Crescent Beach, BC 2018-2021 Bald Eagle Nest

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:46 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Les Elias
Content Provider

Re: Nico Wynd, Crescent Beach, BC 2018-2022 Bald Eagle Nest

Post by Les Elias » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:23 pm

This year was very unusual. First, we had two eaglets of different sizes and then the smaller one just disappeared. Then, the parents with the remaining young one left in early July and parents returned in the last week of October. It was an early leaving and late returning.
We had two visitors while ours were away. One at a time. They used different trees, or, different branches on the nest tree, but never came close to the nest. They did not stay long. Maybe they were looking for a new area for themself.
Well, what was normal this year? Not even weather. We had a historic rain and wind storm here in Vancouver area,on 15 Nov. Still affecting our lives. But it did not effect lives of our eagles. They are here. I can see them almost every day. Now we are looking forward for the their next season.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:34 am

2021-2022 Season begins here

Nice summary of the 2020-2021 Season, Les! Looking forward to this one!
Les Elias wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:23 pm
.......Well, what was normal this year? Not even weather. We had a historic rain and wind storm here in Vancouver area,on 15 Nov. Still affecting our lives. But it did not effect lives of our eagles. They are here. I can see them almost every day. Now we are looking forward for the their next season.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Les Elias
Content Provider

Post by Les Elias » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:55 pm

Hellooooo, I am back,
that's probably all news I have. Our couple is still here, no offspring this year. One time it looked promising, but for a short time only.
P1160053.jpg
Soon it was back to normal. Sometimes both were away for a few days, but always came back. Once, when they were away, we had a visitor.
P1160059.jpg
P1160080.jpg
Likely, it was offspring from the last year, behaving like at home nest. Spent here few days. He left before parents returned.
Here are few pictures of our couple.
P1150766.jpg
P1150760.jpg
There were few attempts of other eagles, trying to take over the nest, one at a time, but they always were chased away. It always was noisy.
P1150699.jpg
Now everything is normal and our eagles are happy.
P1160050.jpg
P1150678.jpg

gemini
Admin

Re: Nico Wynd, Crescent Beach, BC 2018-2023 Bald Eagle Nest

Post by gemini » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:21 pm

2022-2023 Season begins here

Hoping this season brings us little ones this time! Looking forward to your reports Les!

Les Elias
Content Provider

Post by Les Elias » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:32 pm

My first update this year... about our eagles and their nest.
They are here.
P1170694.jpg
They started to mate couple of months ago. Sometimes it looked like there is something to look forward to.
P1170675.jpg
But next day I saw them mating again. The last time it was today. But, they are busy with their nest renovation, bringing in branches of different sizes. There is a hope...
Now... about the nest.
The tree will be taken down, it was assessed to be not safe near townhouses. It will have to be done when our eagles leave for August and September. I sent David's and also .org emails and contacts to our strata council in January.
Now here is a picture of our beauty:
P1170690.jpg
I will let you know when there is any news.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:34 pm

Good morning, everyone! Sorry to be late posting this - lots going on lately - but wanted to let people know that David Hancock will be speaking in Surrey on Sunday, April 30th (clicks bigger).

Email for additional info is [email protected]

Wish we were closer!

Les Elias
Content Provider

Post by Les Elias » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:45 pm

Hello to all.
We do not have any young eagles this year. Our couple was trying, but… maybe next year.
Then, there is another problem. As I wrote last time, the tree where the nest is, will be cut down. It was planned for time when our eagles are away on their annual fishing trip to remote salmon runs. They used to be away by this time of the year, but they are still here. It seems there is a salmon run in a nearby river, because I see them bringing several fish to the nest almost every evening. It is unusual, like almost everything in the nature this year.
I wonder how and when the tree will be cut down, if they will not leave at all. I will let you know.
Here are photos from the last few months.
P1180363a.JPG
P1180348a.JPG
P1180121a.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Les Elias wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:45 pm
Hello to all.
We do not have any young eagles this year. Our couple was trying, but… maybe next year.
Then, there is another problem. As I wrote last time, the tree where the nest is, will be cut down. It was planned for time when our eagles are away on their annual fishing trip to remote salmon runs. They used to be away by this time of the year, but they are still here. It seems there is a salmon run in a nearby river, because I see them bringing several fish to the nest almost every evening. It is unusual, like almost everything in the nature this year.
I wonder how and when the tree will be cut down, if they will not leave at all. I will let you know.
Here are photos from the last few months.
P1180363a.JPG
P1180348a.JPG
P1180121a.JPG
Great photos, Les - and surprising that the eagles are not around since the ones on our nests with cams have left now. I'm just seeing this now - and wondering if you've been in touch with David Hancock to see if he has any suggestions.

Les Elias
Content Provider

Post by Les Elias » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:34 pm

Soon after my last update I could see only one eagle in and around the nest. Then, after another week or so, there were no eagles at all. It seems, everything went back to “normal”, except with some delay. I hope they both will return home.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:29 am

2023-2024 Season begins here

Again, hoping this new season brings us little ones this time! Looking forward to your reports Les!

Les Elias
Content Provider

Post by Les Elias » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:19 pm

Our eagles returned in the first week of October. I can see them late in the day, when it is getting dark. Sometimes they bring something in, usually a fish, or they have a leftover in the nest. It's hard to see in the dark.
Here is one photo, taken late, so it's quality is not so good.
P1180766aaPas.JPG
The tree was planned to be removed while they were away, but nothing happened. Hope it will stay her for at least a year.
Until next your...

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:12 am

Hello Les,
I'm happy to see your eagles are back and the tree hasn't been cut down :woohoo:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”