Pandora (Lafarge) Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2022

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:38 am

Eastvan Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:35 am
Happy Summer Everyone,

Things at the nest are good - I still see Pa regularly on his branch and saw the little one 'wingersizing' last week. And by the looks of all the carnage beneath the nest, they are eating well - haha!!
Wonderful news - thanks so much for letting us know, Eastvan Girl!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:18 pm

2022 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

Hi everyone!

It's certainly been an unusual nesting season - but one thing remains the same:

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

I may take a bit of a look back in another post - but now I'd like to look ahead to our plans and hopes for next year - and how you can help us get there. :thumlft:

While we all miss Dad Trooper at Delta 2, I'm looking forward to watching Ma Delta teach DM (Delta Male) how to be a good mate and with luck a good dad to the little chicks we hope to see them raise together in the new nest we'll be building for them, with big thanks to everyone who donated to our GoFundMe drive.

The French Creek eagles raised two chicks in 2022 - though they didn't use the nest with the cam and, even if they had, the cam went offline before the nesting season got underway. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping we'll be able to get the cam streaming again, and at the very least see the adults and maybe next year's fledglings visit the nest with a cam - and just maybe they'll decide it's time for a change and move to the nest with the cam!

Mom Dimple and Dad Duffer finally produced eggs in 2022 after three years together at Harrison Mills, but were disrupted by an intruder during the incubation. I really want to see them raising little chicks next year - and I think it will happen, and very much hope that we'll be able to replace the cams that are no longer working so we'll be able to see them raise their first chicks together.

A young pair of eagles took over the Surrey Reserve nest for the 2022 season, and weren't ready to nest then, but I think they are now - and we're looking forward to watching SM and SF (Surrey Male and Surrey Female) learn how to raise the tiny chicks we hope they will have. This is the only nest that doesn't need major work - but it would be nice to get the cams cleaned - and to do the preventive maintenance needed to make sure they keep working.

The White Rock pair had a sad year in 2022, losing their chicks when they were a little more than six weeks old - and I'm hoping we'll be able to see them come back with another successful season (they've successfully fledged 14 young eagles so far). One of the cameras at the nest they appear to be preparing for next year is in danger of falling after one of the straps holding it broke, so we are hoping to be able to fix that quickly.

The screenshot above is Ma Delta feeding her tiny eaglets in 2019 - and I would love to have five pictures like this, one from each of our nests, at this time next year. :love:

Naturally, the eagles will have a say in that - but we need to get functioning cams securely fastened at as many nests as possible in the month or so while the eagles are generally away in search of salmon.

We'll be posting additional information about the work we'd like to do at the various nests soon, but we really do need donations now so we can start reserving lifts and scheduling climbers and hopefully buying a few new cams. And remember - the first $1000 in donations will be matched - so if you adopt a nest for $250, HWF will receive $500!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:21 pm

Good news for followers of the Lafarge/Pandora eagle pair - the artificial nest at the Lafarge site was refurbished today and is looking great! :D

David H is hoping to entice either the Pandora pair back to their old nest site or at the very least perhaps another pair may become interested in making it their home. :luck:

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 am

Good news about the Lafarge artificial nest.
I am happy that Pa and his mate had a successful year raising their one chick. It's always nice to open my window and hear them calling to each other. And they often provide great me entertainment when they hang out on the roof of London Drugs.
Have a great rest of the summer everyone!!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:49 am

~~
2022 Cam Maintenance
Fund Drive Update
Hi everyone!

First, before I forget - if you've been meaning to send in a donation to help us get our cams ready for the coming season - you're in luck! We still have a ways to go - and here's a link to our donations page:

If you have made a donation - thank you so much! We've raised almost $5000, which will be a big help as we rush to clean the cams and do routine (and some non-routine) maintenance at our nest sites.

If you're a bit curious what this is about - here's a quick summary:
  • one of the two straps holding the CloseUp cam over our White Rock nest has broken; we want to get a team with a lift to the nest to secure the cam and also clean it and the North cam in a neighboring tree
  • one of the cameras at our Harrison Mills nest has stopped working and the other has been going offline for weeks at a time; we want to repair or replace the cam that has stopped working, and possibly replace the cam that works intermittently, and also check the onsite wiring in case that's a factor in the outages
  • the cam at the French Creek nest stopped working in December; it's a new cam, so we're hoping it's something simple like a loose wire that could be fixed while the eagles are away
  • the Surrey Reserve cams need cleaning; we are very happy that it appears that is all they need this year - but we do want someone to check the cams to make sure nothing is beginning to give way
  • the tree holding our Delta 2 nest is dying and branches are beginning to fall off (including one that was holding one of the two cameras there); happily our GoFundMe campaign and a few private donations will cover the installation of a new sturdy nest on a pole and two new cameras, but there will almost certainly be a few things that were not included in the original estimate.
And - we're under a deadline. The eagles may begin to return as early as mid-September, so we want all the work to be completed by September 15th.

One way to help is to adopt one or more of our nests for next year with a donation of $250 or more per nest - and we are thrilled that we already have 19 nest adoptions for the 2022-2023 nesting season! Thank you!

Another thing that helps us all year long is our monthly donor program - those donations help with the monthly expenses for things like the server that hosts this forum, as well as a fairly substantial internet bill.

And if you're thinking that you'd like to donate, but really can't afford to do any of those right now - we have over 1000 members, and a lot more people who check in from time to time to see what's happening with their favorite eagles or osprey or other critters - and if even a small percent of them (of you!) could give $25 or $50 - we would be very close to our goal!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email [email protected] if you have other questions or concerns.

And if you can - please help.

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Re: Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2023

Post by gemini » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:29 pm

~

This post marks the start of the 2022-2023 season.

For the 2021-2022 season Discussion

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Happy Thanksgiving American style :puzz: :eag: :eag: :hatch: :hatch: :owl: :osprey: :raccoon: :out: :gdog: :cat: :goose: :Humbird: :bunny: :sunny: :rain: :cake:

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:03 pm

EA is closed so my next nest is Lafarge remember Feathers my adopted nest Bobbleheads Hi Judy still alive

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:09 pm

JudiW wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:03 pm
EA is closed so my next nest is Lafarge remember Feathers my adopted nest Bobbleheads Hi Judy still alive
Hoping for a good year for the Lafarge eagles, and happy to see you back on the forum!

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

Pa has been hanging around the nest a lot lately - usually on his favourite branch. Haven't seen his mate for a while - one night a couple of weeks ago there was quite a commotion at the nest - at midnight an eagle was really calling for quite a while - it was dark so I couldn't see what was going on. I hope to see the pair of them together soon.

Happy American Thanksgiving to Canada's neighbours in the south!!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:08 pm

A new photo of our favorite pair courtesy of Shari Whittaker taken the morning of Feb 13!
2023-2-13  Pandora-Lafarge.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:40 am

gemini wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:08 pm
A new photo of our favorite pair courtesy of Shari Whittaker taken the morning of Feb 13!

2023-2-13 Pandora-Lafarge.jpg
Wonderful to see them - thanks, Shari and gemini!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:32 pm

Good morning, everyone! Sorry to be late posting this - lots going on lately - but wanted to let people know that David Hancock will be speaking in Surrey on Sunday, April 30th (clicks bigger).

Email for additional info is [email protected]

Wish we were closer!

gemini
Admin

Re: Pandora (Lafarge) Nest Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2023

Post by gemini » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:52 pm

Shari Whittaker sent these photos of the eagles on the Pandora Nest in the midle of May and somehow I missed her email! But better late than never, so I am posting them now. Here is what she had to say about them:

"It appears the two are nesting in the tree on Pandora and Kamloops. I watched Dad fly off for some food and spotted Mom in the nest."
Pandora nest 1.jpg

Pandora nest 2.jpg

Pandora nest 3.jpg

gemini
Admin

Re: Pandora (Lafarge) Nest Eagle Nest Discussion - Seasons 2019-2023

Post by gemini » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:01 pm

And one more!
Pandora nest 4.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”