Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Swan Lake Eagles, Saanich BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:49 am

I was informed that one of the eaglets fell from the nest since my last visit and was taken to the WildARC facility in Metchosin. I called to get an update but was informed I would have to fill out a request form and email it to them. I don't have all of the information required but will try to obtain it.

I visited the nest site yesterday morning and the remaining eaglet was lying down in the nest. It called a few times but I did not see or hear the adults in the area.

This photo was taken from the front of the nest.
Swan Lake Eaglet(1) 5 July 2022.JPG

This photo was taken from the lane down the road.
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 5 July 2022.JPG

I went back later in the afternoon and was pleased to see the eaglet perched above the nest. The neighbour
across the road said the eaglet has been branching and exercising its wings for approx. a week.
Swan Lake Eaglet(4) 5 July 2022.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:57 pm

I made a quick stop at the nest site on my way out to check on some other nests. The eaglet was perched above the nest calling.
Swan Lake Eaglet(1) 8 July 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 8 July 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(3) 8 July 2022.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:09 pm

My birding partner contacted the property owner regarding the eaglet that fell from the nest, and she got a reply from him today. The good news is that the eaglet is still at WildARC and is doing well :woohoo: I don't know when or where it will be released but will post further updates as I reeceive them.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:36 pm

I received an email from WildARC tonight with some sad news about the eaglet that fell from the nest.
The eaglet was severely debilitated, and despite the rehabilitation team’s best efforts, the eaglet succumbed to its condition. Very sad news indeed :cry1:

I was at the nest site yesterday and the remaining eaglet had not yet fledged. It has been up on the branches exercising its wings for a couple of weeks. I received news today that the eaglet was sitting on the lower roof at the back of the property owner's house. A short while later it flew towards the old nest tree and was seen perched in that tree. Earlier tonight it was still perched there. I will be visiting the nest site tomorrow morning. The eaglet has fledged :woohoo:

Photos of the eaglet yesterday. The eaglet was wandering around the nest looking for something to eat.
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (1).JPG
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (2).JPG
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:35 pm

July 20th cont'd.

The eaglet was thinking about climbing up the tree.
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (4).JPG

The eaglet was on the move up the tree. I took these photos from across the road.
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (5).JPG

The eaglet jumped back down into the nest.
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (6).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:39 pm

July 20th cont'd.

Both adults were perched in the old nest tree when I left.
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (7).JPG
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (8).JPG

The adult was looking back towards the nest tree as the eaglet was calling.
Swan Lake Eagles 20 July 2022 (9).JPG

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:54 am

Bonjour Sassyk, so sorry to read the bad news about the little one :brknhrt: :cry1:

I can't understand what happened between the 07-12 when all was good for the eaglet and the 07-21 its last day. :angry:

I used your pics and put the little eaglet in our "In Memorial" thread :rh:
viewtopic.php?p=599673#p599673

:huggie:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:44 am

Thank you so much Philjo56France :huggie: Beautiful tribute to all of the precious eagles & birds we have lost :cry1:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:53 pm

I went to the nest site this morning to see what the fledgling eaglet was up to. It was standing in the nest eating :) It disappeared at the back of the nest as I was walking up the road.
Swan Lake Eaglet(1) 22 July 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(2) 22 July 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet(3) 22 July 2022.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 pm

My friend who lives across the road from the nest tree has been keeping me updated on the activities of the eaglet. It has been flying back and forth from the current nest tree to the old nest tree a short distance away and has been landing on the chimney and roof of the property owner's house.

I finally made it to the nest site on Aug. 2nd and didn't see or hear the eaglet or either adult while I was wandering up and down the street. As I was walking back to my car I heard the eaglet screeching and saw it flying from somewhere behind the nest tree, circled around the backyards of the houses and landed with a crash in the old nest tree. I walked up the lane and heard it calling a few times but couldn't see it. I walked down to the main road then up the side road behind the old nest tree and saw the eaglet perched at the top. Since I knew where to look then, I walked back to the main road and waited until the eaglet called again and focused my camera on that spot for quite awhile. The eaglet eventually flapped over to the next branch and I got a much better view of it. After watching it for 20 minutes I decided to walk up the lane again and this time I had a fantastic view of the eaglet. It perched there calling and calling but no adults appeared with food. After another 20 minutes and dozens of pictures later I decided to head for home.

My first glimpse from the main road.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (1).JPG

A much better view from further up the main road.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (3).JPG

The eaglet called and called but no adult arrived.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (4).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm

Aug. 2nd visit cont'd.

More photos from the main road.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (8).JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (9).JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (12).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:22 pm

Aug. 2nd visit cont'd.

These photos were taken from the lane behind the old nest tree.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (14).JPG

The eaglet was ducking to avoid a swallow hitting it on the head.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (15).JPG

Looking back towards the current nest tree.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (16).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:24 pm

Aug. 2nd visit cont'd. Last few photos from the lane.

The eaglet decided to do a bit of preening.
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (19).JPG
Swan Lake Eaglet 2 Aug. 2022 (20).JPG

This is the nest from the lane.
Swan Lake Nest (from lane) 2 Aug. 2022.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:00 pm

2022 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

Hi everyone!

It's certainly been an unusual nesting season - but one thing remains the same:

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

I may take a bit of a look back in another post - but now I'd like to look ahead to our plans and hopes for next year - and how you can help us get there. :thumlft:

While we all miss Dad Trooper at Delta 2, I'm looking forward to watching Ma Delta teach DM (Delta Male) how to be a good mate and with luck a good dad to the little chicks we hope to see them raise together in the new nest we'll be building for them, with big thanks to everyone who donated to our GoFundMe drive.

The French Creek eagles raised two chicks in 2022 - though they didn't use the nest with the cam and, even if they had, the cam went offline before the nesting season got underway. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping we'll be able to get the cam streaming again, and at the very least see the adults and maybe next year's fledglings visit the nest with a cam - and just maybe they'll decide it's time for a change and move to the nest with the cam!

Mom Dimple and Dad Duffer finally produced eggs in 2022 after three years together at Harrison Mills, but were disrupted by an intruder during the incubation. I really want to see them raising little chicks next year - and I think it will happen, and very much hope that we'll be able to replace the cams that are no longer working so we'll be able to see them raise their first chicks together.

A young pair of eagles took over the Surrey Reserve nest for the 2022 season, and weren't ready to nest then, but I think they are now - and we're looking forward to watching SM and SF (Surrey Male and Surrey Female) learn how to raise the tiny chicks we hope they will have. This is the only nest that doesn't need major work - but it would be nice to get the cams cleaned - and to do the preventive maintenance needed to make sure they keep working.

The White Rock pair had a sad year in 2022, losing their chicks when they were a little more than six weeks old - and I'm hoping we'll be able to see them come back with another successful season (they've successfully fledged 14 young eagles so far). One of the cameras at the nest they appear to be preparing for next year is in danger of falling after one of the straps holding it broke, so we are hoping to be able to fix that quickly.

The screenshot above is Ma Delta feeding her tiny eaglets in 2019 - and I would love to have five pictures like this, one from each of our nests, at this time next year. :love:

Naturally, the eagles will have a say in that - but we need to get functioning cams securely fastened at as many nests as possible in the month or so while the eagles are generally away in search of salmon.

We'll be posting additional information about the work we'd like to do at the various nests soon, but we really do need donations now so we can start reserving lifts and scheduling climbers and hopefully buying a few new cams. And remember - the first $1000 in donations will be matched - so if you adopt a nest for $250, HWF will receive $500!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:23 pm

This is the opening post for the 2022-2023 nesting season.

I was at Swan Lake this afternoon, Nov. 18th, and could see an eagle in the old nest tree. It is quite far from the lookout area at Swan Lake but I was able to crop a few photos to get a good look at the eagle preening. I could not tell if it was the male or female but it was nice to see one back in their territory.
Swan Lake Eagle(1) 18 Nov. 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(2) 18 Nov. 2022.JPG
Swan Lake Eagle(3) 18 Nov. 2022.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”