Lower Vancouver Island Osprey Nests - 2019-2023 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of osprey nests and cams

Moderator: Osprey TA's

sassyk
Content Provider

Lower Vancouver Island Osprey Nests - 2019-2023 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Welcome to this dedicated thread intended for observations, photos and videos of the Osprey families who are nesting in the lower Vancouver Island area. I have been watching a number of local nests the past few years; observations and photos from previous seasons can be viewed here.

One of the nests is located on a light standard overlooking the playing field at our local University of Victoria. The University installed a camera on another light standard across the field a few years ago and you will find a link to their web cam on their site here. The cam does not zoom in but you can zoom the page larger for a better view of the Osprey. If anyone is interested in watching this cam and takes screencaptures or videos, please include a note giving credit and thanks to the University of Victoria.

There is an osprey nest at the south end of Patricia Bay in North Saanich. The osprey have built their nests every spring on top of a communications tower on the property of the Ocean Sciences Centre near the Coast Guard docks and have produced many offspring over the years.

There is an osprey nest near the Esquimalt Lagoon and Royal Roads University in the forces housing complex. An artificial pole was installed behind where the old fire hall was and the osprey have raised several offspring over the years.

There is an osprey nest on a private property on Wain Road in North Saanich, a short distance north of the Epicure property where the eagles have nested. There is a pump station on West Saanich Road a short distance from the entrance to the Epicure property and I am able to get my small lens through the fencing to take photos. So far I have not managed to get any photos of young osprey; hopefully they will produce offspring this summer.

There is an osprey nest located in a tree on private property on Marina Way in the marina area in North Saanich. The nest is on a platform that was installed over the top of the tree that broke off. It is a wonderful area to explore around the marina with lots of beautiful gardens and various birds. The osprey have raised many offspring over the past years.

There is an osprey nest on one of the big light standards at Royal Athletic Park. The osprey have raised many offspring in this nest over the years and can be viewed from the parking lot across from the entrance to the park.

Link to the opening post for the 2023 nesting season here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Lower Vancouver Island Osprey Nests - 2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:52 pm

An Osprey was seen in the UVic nest on Apr. 16th.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Osprey pair at their nest on the tower at the Ocean Sciences property at the South end of Pat Bay yesterday.
Pat Bay Osprey(1).JPG
Pat Bay Osprey(2).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:59 pm

I saw 1 adult and 2 chicks in the Royal Roads nest yesterday.
I took these 2 photos from opposite sides of the nest.
Royal Roads Osprey & Chick 4 July.JPG

I saw a head pop up a couple of times but missed capturing it.
Royal Roads Osprey 4 July.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:49 pm

I visited 2 osprey nests yesterday; first time this year :roll: When I arrived at the nest on Marine Way in North Saanich a young osprey was flying overhead with a fish and landed in a tree a short distance from the nest tree. One of the adults was perched higher up in the same tree. I don't know how many young they had this year as there were no neighbours out to talk to.
Marine Way1 Aug. 27.JPG
Marine Way2 Aug. 27.JPG
Marine Way3 Aug. 27.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Marine Way Osprey cont'd.

Their man-made nest attached to the top of the tree.
Marine Way6 Aug. 27.JPG
Marine Way4 Aug. 27.JPG
Marine Way5 Aug. 27.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 pm

The second nest I visited yesterday was the one on top of the light standard at Royal Athletic Park. I caught a glimpse of a young one in the nest calling and calling. Eventually an adult flew in with a fish and flew off over the ball field. I managed to get a photo of a wing flapping. A short while later the young one flew from the nest and I found it down the road perched high up in a tree eating its fish.
Royal Athletic Park1 Aug. 27.JPG
Royal Athletic Park2 Aug. 27.JPG
Royal Athletic Park3 Aug. 27.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Ball park osprey cont'd.

A couple of closeups of the young one eating its fish.
Royal Athletic Park4 Aug. 27.JPG
Royal Athletic Park5 Aug. 27.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Lower Vancouver Island Osprey Nests - 2019-2020 Seasons

Post by sassyk » Sat May 29, 2021 2:34 pm

I recently learned of an Osprey nest on the light standard on the field behind the Juan de Fuca Rec. Centre. I went to find it yesterday and just missed getting a photo of both adults in the nest. One flew off just as I was parking my vehicle. I managed to get a few photos of the female in the nest, either incubating eggs or brooding chicks. I will visit again in a couple of weeks.
Juan de Fuca Osprey(1) 28 May 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(2) 28 May 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(3) 28 May 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:51 pm

I visited the osprey nest on Marine Way in North Saanich on July 4th. One adult had just flown from the nest as I arrived and the other one was sitting in the nest watching for the return of its partner.
Marine Way Osprey(1) 4 July 2021.JPG
Marine Way Osprey(3) 4 July 2021.JPG
Marine Way Osprey2) 4 July 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:59 pm

There is an Osprey nest atop the light standard on the lower field behind the Juan de Fuca Rec. Centre in Colwood. I visited for the first time on May 28th. One adult had just left the nest while the other one was lying deep in the nest.
Juan de Fuca Osprey(1) 28 May 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(3) 28 May 2021.JPG

I visited the nest area again on July 7th. One of the adults was standing in the nest.
Juan de Fuca Osprey 7 July 2021.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:10 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:51 pm

Yesterday I visited the Osprey family atop the light standard on the field behind the Juan de Fuca Rec. Centre in Colwood with my birding partner. Mom screeched at Dad to go get some food for the 2 young ones and he immediately left, coming back a few minutes later with a fish. He then quickly departed the nest and flew to the next light standard.
Juan de Fuca Osprey(2) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(3) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(4) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:55 pm

One of the young ones is quite a bit younger and smaller than the other one.

Juan de Fuca Osprey(5) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(6) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(1) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:58 pm

Lots of wing flapping by the older one.
Juan de Fuca Osprey(7) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG
Juan de Fuca Osprey(8) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG

The Dad perched on a nearby light standard preening.
Juan de Fuca Male Osprey(3) 5 Aug. 2021.JPG

Return to “Osprey”