2022 Australian White-Bellied Sea-Eagle

Observations, scaps and videos of this nest. Look for eggs in early July

Moderator: Sea-Eagle TA's

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Re: 2022 Australian White-Bellied Sea-Eagle

Post by DDuckies2 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:36 pm

Oct 3 2022
SE 29 fledges to lower branch on nest tree.
9:30am scap of SE 29.
9:36am scap via adjacent cam.
9:44.18am SE29 flew back to nest. Well done !
Attachments
930amsec.JPG
936am se 29 d.JPG
:grhug:

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:27 am

reserved

DDuckies2
Zoomer

EagleCAM

·
October 10: news of SE29 our older eaglet. SE29 fledged a week or so ago, at 77 days from hatch. It was keeping close by and we were thrilled when it returned to the nest for food for the first time on Oct 7. However the next day it was not seen, away overnight and yesterday. Last evening we received a message from one of our team, Rohan, who had found SE29 in a nearby residential area. Close as the eagle flies. 29 was captured and held safely until taken by Hali from WIRES to a vet. SE29 has been injured and appears to have flown into a window or wall. It has been given fluids and pain killers. We are waiting for further information. SE29 is in a safe place and we are hoping for good news.

DDuckies2
Zoomer

reserved
Rohan Geddes

·
A little more info about the circumstances yesterday;
I was on site from about 4pm hoping to catch a glimpse of SE29. Heard chirping/honking behind the Discovery Centre at 515-520, which may have been SE30 on the nest.
I then did a lap down past the river, where both parents were, and back around to Hill Rd where my car was...All seemed quiet!
As I drove away, I caught sight of a mob of Currawongs and the unmistakable outline of what could only be an eagle about 5 stories up an apartment block, perched on a metal louvre. As I wheeled the car around to find a parking spot I saw SE29 fly across the street and attempt what turned out to be a very ungainly landing against another building and flop downwards, pursued by the Currawongs.
By the time I parked and ran over ( calling Judy as I ran!) SE29 was a bit dazed but seemingly otherwise fine. They were then perking up a bit so I quickly wrapped them up so as to prevent them attempting to fly off between the buildings and traffic etc if injured beyond my knowledge and waited for Hali from WIRES to arrive. She was amazing and knew exactly what to do to pack SE29 safely into a carrier and take over.

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:28 am

EagleCAM

·
October 10: news of SE30. the younger eaglet SE30 has been more cautious and has just fledged at 82 day from hatching. It returned to the nest again after being swooped by currawongs. Stay safe SE30 and remain cautious. SE30 is self-feeding well.

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:28 am

reserved
Pat Burke
Oct 10 2022
·
16:30:50
SE30 falls off back of PB trying to return to the nest and is swooped by magpies and curras, while she was caught in the leafy branches below the nest and has flown off. Not heard 30 anymore, but hearing lots of ravens now in distance. No more calls from SE30.

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:32 am

reserved

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:25 pm

Oct 13 2022 SE 29 update.
From RangerJudy
"NPWS have been advised by the vets caring for SE29 that he suffered a broken lower left leg when he crash landed. The leg is currently in a cast which is working well and he is standing up most of the time now and regaining his strength and feeding well. Vets are monitoring his condition for the next five days and will then assess what steps need to be undertaken for his continued care and rehabilitation”

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:03 pm

EagleCAM

·
21st October, 2022 - info regarding SE30
Here are a few pictures from SE30’s retrieval this morning (thank you Jen S) and one taken by Tim (MoP) sent to us via Sydney Wildlife Rescue (SWR) last night.
Until late yesterday, SE30 has been flying from location to location, remaining 4-6 metres off the ground. Late last night we received notification via Deborah from SWR that SE30 was on the ground in a construction site. It was agreed that in accordance with our Research Protocol, Hale from WIRES would attend the location. As SE30 was still on the ground It was then decided to take *her for vet assessment.
Thanks again to everyone involved!
* gender unknown at this stage.
Courtesy of "EagleCAM @BirdlifeAustralia Discovery Centre, Sydney Olympic Park"
Attachments
se30 2.JPG
se30 1.JPG

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:09 pm

reserved

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:10 pm

Oct 30 2022
Ducks on nest. Assume Daisy and mate. :)
Attachments
7am o30.JPG

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:20 pm

reserved

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:21 pm

EagleCAM

17th November, 2022 - Tiny update

SE30 - is doing well, eating well and getting stronger. Gender to be confirmed.
SE29 - Nothing new to report. As we said previously, recovery and healing is a slow process and updates on his progress will be infrequent. Your understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:45 am

Sorry Ferenz :cry1:

SE30 is going better and better, still in rehab.

But Sadly :cry1:

From https://www.facebook.com/raptorrecoveryaustralia/
Raptor Recovery Australia
1 janvier, 21:35 ·
𝐀𝐧 𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐄𝟐𝟗 🦅
As you know SE29 was rescued in early October, after some sort of severe trauma (we are not sure if he flew into a window or was hit by a car).
When he arrived he was bleeding from inside the beak indicating a bleed in the lung following the trauma. He also suffered a particularly nasty fracture just above the foot, which you can see in the radiograph attached to this post. The challenge about this fracture is firstly, that it is quite oblique, and secondly, that it is very far down in the bone, making the orthopaedic repair required quite difficult.
While stabilising and after consultation with many other raptor veterinarians around the world, we initially tried to stabilise the foot in a special cast. But it became apparent quite soon that due to the oblique nature of the fracture the fragments just could not be immobilised properly and there was still some sliding.
Normally these fractures in birds are repaired with an external fixation device. This involves crossbars through the bone which are connected and held in position by external rods. The goal is to have two crossbars in each fragment of the bone. We knew that trying to repair this fracture would be a push, because of the little room left for us in the fragment closer to the foot.
But SE29 was a young bird (this helps with healing) and he was dealing well with the process of being in care, having a generally gentle demeanour, so repair was attempted) and we placed a type 2 external fixation device. You can see on the picture what this structure looks like.
We then had to wait for the bone to mend until we could remove the pins. During this whole process SE29 has been a gentle, strong bird and has allowed us to take him through the rehabilitation process.
However, we have promised ourselves, we would only persevere with his rehabilitation if there was a reasonable chance for SE29 to return into the wild. This is where he came from, and the life of freedom is what he should have if we could make it so.
Two months into the rehabilitation process, the external fixation device was removed and it became clear that some of the tendons making the digits move did not work normally any more, and possibly there was some joint damage at the tarsometatarsal - phalanx 1 joint.
The foot is a structure a raptor just cannot live without, and we had to accept that our attempts had not worked out as we hoped. We knew it was a push from the start (again, this was a very unfavourable fracture), but SE29 had just been doing so well until then and he made us hope even more it would work out in the end. Unfortunately at this point it became clear, SE29 would not be able to be released and he was euthanased for the reasons described above.
Much like all of you, who fell in love with this little bird from since he was an egg, working with him and getting to know him also allowed him to take a very special place in our hearts and sharing these news fills us with sadness. But we are glad that we did give this bird a chance, because otherwise we would have never known.
2023-01-04_14h09_02.jpg
2023-01-04_14h13_38.jpg
Raptor Recovery Australia After a few weeks SE29 was allowed in a small space outside, which he loved. At this stage he appeared to be holding to the perches with both feet.

My sad Question
For me, you are not clear enough. What was your original goal? That SE29 lives (without suffering) even with his handicap? or then like God, to be able to send him back completely cured to live his wild life as if nothing had happened? Couldn't he have survived without suffering in a center adapted for handicapped animals? Because from what I understood is that you sacrificed this magnificent SE29 because you were not God and that inevitably one day you will be held to account... I have such a horror of this word "euthanasia" especially when it is never done at the request of the patient. "Just tell me that SE29 was in so much pain there was nothing more to do but not that you did it because of your failure even though he could live his non-wild life otherwise. Thank you.
2023-01-04_14h14_42.jpg
Here you can see what the device looks like. To prevent bumblefoot we held SE29 on a tower of pillows and soft padding initially.
RIP delicious young SE29. All your older siblings are welcoming you and flying around you. You're life will be 1000 time better in your new world than among our human one. so sad and so terrified by those scientists...🙏😭💔🙏

"I.M." viewtopic.php?p=633195#p633195
Last edited by Philjo56France on Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:31 am

For SE30
https://www.facebook.com/raptorrecoveryaustralia/
6 j
·
𝐀𝐧 𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐄𝟑𝟎 🦅
We have had many requests to post an update on SE30, the Sea Eaglet monitored by EagleCAM, who came into care a few months ago and has been nursed back to strength by Taronga Zoo Wildlife Hospital.
We are happy to report that SE30 is doing brilliantly. From the moment he (we think it is a male bird based on size) moved into the large aviary, he had a confident, inquisitive nature about him. He is never found in the same spot, and often seen next to an adult female White-Bellied Sea Eagle that is also currently undergoing rehabilitation.
SE30 has started taking to the water and he is circling the aviary strongly. His rehabilitation plan will be similar to that we used for SE27, and he will be taught how to hunt food and strengthened, in view of releasing him during his natural dispersal period.
See attached a couple of glimpses of this magnificent bird!

https://www.facebook.com/raptorrecovery ... 1395875702
2023-01-04_14h52_13.jpg
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Australian White-Bellied Sea-Eagle”