South African Black Eagle ~ 2018-2022

Observations, scaps and videos of this nest. Look for the cam to return in May and egg laying to take place end of April early May

Moderator: South African TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: South African Black Eagle ~ 2018-2020

Post by JudyB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Summary of the 2020 nesting season

Information courtesy of the Black Eagle Project Roodekrans facebook page https://www.facebook.com/blackeagleproject

Because of covid-19 restrictions and precautions, some dates are more approximate than usual. Makatsa and her new mate Mahlori produced at least one egg, probably around April 18-19, and there was at least one chick who likely hatched around June 2-3. The eaglet was named Motsumi, which means "The Hunter" in Sesotho, and fledged on August 31st.

As of November 12, Motsumi is still being seen in the territory, with the adults delivering food. Fledglings are usually dependent on the adults for about 3 months, so he or she may leave the area (or be chased out) in late November or early December - which would be earlier than in 2017 and 2018, when the fledge was late September, and the juvenile left the area December 23.

JudyB
Admin

Re: South African Black Eagle ~ 2018-2022

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:54 pm

Summary of the 2021 nesting season

Information courtesy of the Black Eagle Project Roodekrans facebook page https://www.facebook.com/blackeagleproject

There was no camera for the 2021 nesting season, so dates are approximate. As is usually the case with these eagles, Mahlori (M) and Makatsa (F) produced two eggs, around April 21 and April 25. The first egg hatched on or shortly before June 9, and the second one hatched June 10. As is normal with these eagles, the older one killed the younger shortly after it hatched.

The remaining eaglet thrived, and fledged successfully on September 13, 2021. There was a naming contest, and the young eagle was named Amari, which means possesses great strength. Fledglings normally stay with the parents, being fed and learning to hunt, for about three months, after which the parents will chase them out of the territory. Amari was last seen on December 26, 2021, almost 3-1/2 months after his or her first flight.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:07 pm

2022 Nesting Season Starts Here

Exciting news - a new camera has been installed so we can watch the eagles live again!

Link for cam: https://africam.com/wildlife/stream/black-eagle-live

2022 Timeline
  • Cam On: February 28
  • eggs laid:
  • hatched:
  • Cainism:
  • fledged:
  • Last seen in natal territory:

According to reports posted by Black Eagle Project Roodekrans on their Facebook page, as of the first of March, the eagles are beginning to do some work on their nest.

Here's a picture from the dvr/rollback feature of the cam showing one of the eagles on the nest where he or she was moving a couple of sticks.
20220311_001.jpg

SueD

Post by SueD » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:33 pm

Judy, there was a fair bit of activity at the nest today ... including what looked like mating (not in this screenshot)! :rh:
Attachments
blackeagles.png
aka byline ~ 2012

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:37 am

SueD wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:33 pm
Judy, there was a fair bit of activity at the nest today ... including what looked like mating (not in this screenshot)! :rh:
Just noticed this - thanks, Sue!

SueD

Post by SueD » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:22 pm

I just checked in after a month and a half away. There's a chick in the nest (two little eyes visible to our right of the parent)!
Attachments
blackeagle.png
aka byline ~ 2012

SueD

Post by SueD » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:22 pm

I just saw this update, which was posted on Facebook on Sunday, August 28:
Breaking a News. Hi everyone. Thought I’d just inform you that our Juvenile V. Black Eagle fledged this morning at at 96 days old. After a lot of hopping from one rocky ledge to the next, he/she took off at approximately 07.09 this morning in an icy cold wind. As soon as I receive the photos/videos I’ll post them. Stand by.
aka byline ~ 2012

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:48 pm

SueD wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:22 pm
Breaking a News. Hi everyone. Thought I’d just inform you that our Juvenile V. Black Eagle fledged this morning at at 96 days old. After a lot of hopping from one rocky ledge to the next, he/she took off at approximately 07.09 this morning in an icy cold wind. As soon as I receive the photos/videos I’ll post them. Stand by.
Wonderful news - thanks, Sue! Do you know if the fledgling has a name? I've been busy elsewhere this year so haven't checked in there very often.

SueD

Post by SueD » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 am

JudyB wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:48 pm
SueD wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:22 pm
Wonderful news - thanks, Sue! Do you know if the fledgling has a name? I've been busy elsewhere this year so haven't checked in there very often.
I checked the Black Eagle Project Roodekrans Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/blackeagleproject. Lots of great photos there! As of today they're still referring to the fledgling as "juvenile" (no given name). The parents are Makatsa and Mahlori.
aka byline ~ 2012

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:34 am

SueD wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 am

I checked the Black Eagle Project Roodekrans Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/blackeagleproject. Lots of great photos there! As of today they're still referring to the fledgling as "juvenile" (no given name). The parents are Makatsa and Mahlori.
Thanks, Sue! If I remember correctly, their fledglings stay nearby hunting with the adults for a couple of months, so they may be waiting a while before giving the young one a name.

(And "hunting" might be a bit of a stretch - I suspect it's more like watching the adults hunt and then grabbing the food! :mihihi: )

SueD

Post by SueD » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:33 am

Hi, Judy! I checked the Facebook page again today and found this post from November 23:
“Naming of the Juvenile” - Black Eagle Project Roodekrans (BEPR) has aligned itself with the thinking of other Conservationists around the World in believing that an Animal/Bird from the “WILD” not be given a “pet” name. This V. Black Eagle Family is most certainly still wild. It is for that reason that our records will show, that this Juvenile will be known as the Juvenile of 2022, (Juve 2022). Below are two photos of the Juvenile taken by Buster Shipster over the weekend. All indications are that this Juvenile will be leaving within the next few weeks.
So it looks like they won't be naming this, or any, juveniles from this nest. Here are the two photos they posted:
Attachments
blackeagle1.jpg
blackeagle2.jpg
aka byline ~ 2012

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:49 pm

SueD wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:33 am
Hi, Judy! I checked the Facebook page again today and found this post from November 23:
“Naming of the Juvenile” - Black Eagle Project Roodekrans (BEPR) has aligned itself with the thinking of other Conservationists around the World in believing that an Animal/Bird from the “WILD” not be given a “pet” name. This V. Black Eagle Family is most certainly still wild. It is for that reason that our records will show, that this Juvenile will be known as the Juvenile of 2022, (Juve 2022). Below are two photos of the Juvenile taken by Buster Shipster over the weekend. All indications are that this Juvenile will be leaving within the next few weeks.
So it looks like they won't be naming this, or any, juveniles from this nest. Here are the two photos they posted:
I'm just seeing this, Sue - sorry! I think the last month or so has been sort of busy.

Great photos - the juvenile is definitely very handsome! And I can easily see both sides of the discussion about giving names to the wildlife we watch on cameras or locally. I am glad that they will continue to use names for the adults.

Return to “South African Black Eagle Nest”