Welcome, hints for the new software, and a discussion of the transition
JudyB
Admin

Re: Please Post Your Questions Here

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 am

I trimmed a little off each side to make it 90 pixels wide:
sunshinecoast avatar - 2.jpg
sunshinecoast avatar - 2.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
And I'll add it to your profile in a minute.

Added - how's that?

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Everyone, I have a question about file attachments. I noticed in the practice area that when I add a full screen shot attachment that the file name does not show on the post, but when I take a snip of the screen it does show the file name. Is there a way to remove the file name?

EDITED: I am not sure if this is why the file name was included for the one snip, but I noticed that when I do a snip of the Delta embedded cam that it did not include the file name, but when I did a snip of the Stewards Trio cam it included the file name, which shows it comes from the Stewards cam. Is this for copyright purposes?

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Sue - and welcome!

It's a quirk in the forum software that's supposed to be fixed in the next release (I hope) - if you attach a screenshot or photo that's more than 500 pixels wide, the software creates a clickable thumbnail to put in the post - and neither the thumbnail nor the larger version you get when you click show the photo info.

However - if you attach an image that's 500 pixels or less in width, the original image goes into the post - and it comes with a line of text underneath it.

When possible - I'd recommend making your snips at least 501 pixels wide - not an elegant solution, but it will get rid of the photo data that shows up on screen with smaller images.

Once we get more things done, I'll see if there's a way to edit the software to change that - but that may not happen in the next few days. :)

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 pm

When we are setting up our threads will a link to the previous years to the old forum work?
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Marg wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 pm
When we are setting up our threads will a link to the previous years to the old forum work?
I'm hoping we'll be able to make them work, Marg - so please do add a link.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

I've set up 2 new threads here on the new forum and have added pictures. I see all the photos when I log in on my PC but they aren't there when I log in using my iPad. I asked the question previously if the new forum would work with all web browsers and would like to know if anyone else is having the same problem. I'm using Firefox on my PC and Safari on my iPad.

Also, when I set up the new threads here, I was able to add links to the previous years threads but wasn't able to access the threads in the older forum we had before the current one we have been using.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

jkr
Admin

Post by jkr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Kay, I can see your photos at Oak Bay and Saxe Pt using my iPad. I am using Safari.
Judy (jkr) - member since 2006
Need Help ? Check our HELPFUL HINTS

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 pm

jkr Judy thanks for letting me know. My iPad is ancient so the operating system might be too outdated :dunno:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks JudyB for your answer on attachments. One other question that came up while I was practicing is that there is a requirement to add text in the body of the post, even if it is only 1 character. There are times when I will post s'caps and come back later to add my dialogue when I am busy moving the cam and trying to track down Ma & Pa. Is this something that will change?

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:03 am

Hi Sue,

No text required - I just posted two photos without text. I think the problem is you need to place your scap "inline". Place your cursor where you want your scap and click "place in line" next to where you added your file at the bottom of the post.

This may help better than my explanation! :)

viewtopic.php?p=159#p159

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 am

sassyk wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Also, when I set up the new threads here, I was able to add links to the previous years threads but wasn't able to access the threads in the older forum we had before the current one we have been using.
Our original 2006-2010 forum is currently off-line. We are hoping that once we finish transitioning to this forum and the new website that David Hathaway and Myles are working on, and archive our current website and forum, we'll be able to have the tech team move the first forum to an archive area that we can access. But I'm afraid that will be the last step in the process, and I have no idea when that might happen.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks JudyB I will add the links to previous years. :D
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks for the info JudyB. I'm happy to know that the links to the 'old forum' that I have added to the threads I have set up here will eventually work :woohoo: Otherwise, I would remove them.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:02 am

jkr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Kay, I can see your photos at Oak Bay and Saxe Pt using my iPad. I am using Safari.
Judy what I see on my iPad is little square boxes. When I click on the little boxes the photos open, then I can see them. However, it would be nice to see them showing within the post. I don't have that problem with the current forum we have been using.

jkr
Admin

Post by jkr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Kay, I don't get the little square boxes that you speak of. Your photos open the same on my iPad as they do on my computer. Have you updated your iPad software ?

You could try the following:

On your iPad tap Settings in the Home screen then tap Safari. Clear the Cookies / Cache and History.
Restart your iPad.
And Settings / Safari. Make sure JavaScript is turned ON.

If that doesn't work, does your iPad has enough memory to actually load photos ?

The old forum is outdated software and since this is newer software it is possible your iPad isn't current enough for all the features. Other than that I really don't have any more answers for you. :(
Judy (jkr) - member since 2006
Need Help ? Check our HELPFUL HINTS

Return to “Welcome - and Helpful Hints!”