Welcome, hints for the new software, and a discussion of the transition
JudyB
Admin

Re: Please Post Your Questions Here

Post by JudyB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:16 am

Annemie wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:28 am
Hi JudyB

I like to know what the max size a jpeg picture can be to meet the max size restrictions for upload unto the website.
With thanks
It's currently 4MB, Annemie, though we appreciate it when people can reduce the size a bit - but we know not everyone has software to do that. We want to make sure people can load pictures that are good quality at full screen - but a lot of cameras take pictures that are much higher than that.

We've also learned that having a long name for a picture can cause an error message about picture size, even though the actual picture is not that big - I haven't done any testing, but know that up to 30 characters is fine.

I hope this helps, and if you have other questions, please let us know.

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 am

Thank you JudyB. :hug:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 am

I have a question on eagles with transmitters.
I go into the map daily to see where the eagles are that have transmitters I'm not sure if we get a daily update but when I checked today and refreshed the page it showed 04/03. Why I am interested is because David H had told me that one came up to Sechelt then travelled elsewhere but later returned to Sechelt. I would like to know where the eagles are today. :dunno: Thank you. :)

Thank you Sharon for your help I checked the map and found the box that shows the date when you click on it. This is where the eagles were yesterday.

Tracking for today does not show yet.
I was looking for the eagle in Sechelt. TERF01
Attachments
Map - 1.jpg
Last edited by marg on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Exciting that one of the tracked eagles may be visiting you, Marg! I don't know a lot about the updates for the tracking program, but know David is hoping to find a way to have the maps updated regularly. I know other groups that do that, so it's possible.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:26 pm

JudyB, yes its great that one of the eagles came here twice and may still be somewhere in Sechelt. I was talking to David recently and said that every time I see an eagle fly by I say to Earl quick let's see if it has a transmitter! I phoned Sandra that day and she and David T went to the Sechelt landfill but they were unlucky. (There weren't many eagles there at this time of year). I also notified our local Wildlife Spotting on the Sunshine Coast members.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:16 pm

How do you clear notifications? Just wondering.....
carolyn
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:29 pm

I would like to know how to clear notifications too. My understanding was they just cleared automatically after a certain number or after a specific time but...............?? None have cleared from my list since the new forum was implemented. ( And I am a known " delete happy " member :) )
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:20 am

I've also tried to clear notifications but unable to. :dunno:

I go in to notifications and mark all notifications read but it doesn't delete them permanently ...what am I missing?

Have you solved it elle?
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 am

Hi everyone!

Notifications marked as read will disappear after a month - and I think the only time you'll see more than 5 notifications without clicking the "see all" link is if you have more than 5 that haven't been read (or marked as read). And I don't have a new notification at the moment, but I think they're a different color in the list, so stand out from the ones you've read in the five that are displayed.

We might be able to make them disappear in less than a month - not sure about that. And I'd want to do some testing to make sure only the ones marked "read" disappear - some people are offline for a week or two and I wouldn't want them to not have all their notifications when they return.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 am

In the old forum each post had a facility to PM that person at the bottom of the post. We no longer have that function. It was useful. Can we get that back?

Member since August 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am

elle wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 am
In the old forum each post had a facility to PM that person at the bottom of the post. We no longer have that function. It was useful. Can we get that back?
It's still there, actually, though we may not have added it to the Helpful Hints yet - I keep coming across things we should be adding, and don't get them on a list, so they don't get done.

If you click the little "contact" bubble under someone's name, you'll see a little symbol that means PM
20180410_020.jpg
20180410_020.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 8860 times
Click that, and it will open a PM to them. The new software has an additional feature - the PM will contain a link to the post, and the contents will be quoted - but you can delete those if you don't want to include them. It can be useful if you're commenting on their post - and deleting is quick if you're not.

Hope this helps!

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:12 am

Oh wonderful! Thanks Judy.

Member since August 2006

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 am

Good Morning JudyB
Concerning my signature panel, i have a tittle called "RIP 2018:"
I have also a link who normally goes directly on my first thread for the memories of 2018
"viewtopic.php?f=62&t=191&p=52093#p52054"

So how is it possible to have only The "RIP 2018:" and when you press on it you go directly to the page it must go ?

Like for your button "Helpful Hints" which in fact is the command "http://forum.hancockwildlife.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13"

Thanks by advance to explain me how i can do it and then may be i will be able to do one also for the RIP 2017

:huggie:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am

Good afternoon, Philjo -

I'm not sure why, but those are called posh links - and here's the link to the hint explaining how to make them - https://www.forum.hancockwildlife.org/v ... p=175#p175. If you have questions after reading that, please let us know - we're always looking for ways to make the hints easier to understand.

:ty:
Philjo56France wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 am
Good Morning JudyB
I have also a link who normally goes directly on my first thread for the memories of 2018

So how is it possible to have only The "RIP 2018:" and when you press on it you go directly to the page it must go ?

Like for your button "Helpful Hints" which in fact is the command "http://forum.hancockwildlife.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13"

Thanks by advance to explain me how i can do it and then may be i will be able to do one also for the RIP 2017

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon May 14, 2018 8:44 am

[quote=JudyB post_id=52143 time=1526308320 user_id=48]
Good afternoon, Philjo -
I'm not sure why, but those are called posh links - and here's the link to the hint explaining how to make them - https://www.forum.hancockwildlife.org/v ... p=175#p175. If you have questions after reading that, please let us know - we're always looking for ways to make the hints easier to understand.
:ty:
[quote=Philjo56France post_id=52116 time=1526304060 user_id=102]
Good Morning JudyB
[/quote]
[/quote]

:ty: for the answer Judy
I will check that tomorrow Morning and if i have some troubles i will ask again
:hug:

I did it, it woks fine :ty: very much JudyB :huggie:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Welcome - and Helpful Hints!”