Some Helpful Hints

Welcome, hints for the new software, and a discussion of the transition
JudyB
Admin

Re: Some Helpful Hints

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm

How to Delete the Cookies the Forum Uses to Remember Your Login Info - part 1
Google Chrome - with thanks to SueB :thumlft:

Here are the steps for clearing cookies for Google Chrome. This worked for me so now I am able to login using Google Chrome.

In the first s'cap
1. Click on the 3 dots on the top right....the menu on the right will come up
2. Go down and click on 'More tools', then the left side menu will come up
3. Click on Clear browsing data, the 2nd screen shot will come up
20190131_004.jpg

Here is the 2nd screen that comes up. Check the 'Cookies' box. You can also select a 'Time Range' at the top. I selected 'All time'. Then click clear data.
20190131_005.jpg

How to Delete Only the Cookies related to HWF
Added by JudyB -
It is more complicated, but you can delete just the cookies that relate to Hancock Wildlife:
  • Click the three dots, as described above, and scroll down to Settings
  • Scroll down to the Privacy and Security area (if you don't see it, you may need to click on the word Advanced at the bottom of the screen), then click on Content Settings (near the bottom)
  • Click on Cookies
  • Scroll Down to See all cookies and site data
  • Use the Search tool in the upper right to search for hancockwildlife.org
  • It will show how many cookies you have (I have 7); you can click on hancockwildlife.org to see the 7 cookies, and you can click on each cookie to see details (none of which meant anything to me) or you can just either click the trash can icon or the Remove All Shown button
  • There will be a box to confirm your actions - and you're done
20190202_014.jpg

JudyB
Admin

How to Delete the Cookies the Forum Uses to Remember Your Login Info - part 2
Firefox

Click the three bars at the far right at the top of the screen to open the menu, then scroll down to Options and click that.
20190131_001.jpg

To remove all cookies, choose Privacy & Security from the menu at the left, then scroll down to Cookies and Site Data and click Clear Data.
20190131_002.jpg

How to Delete only the cookies related to Hancock Wildlife
You can also remove just the cookies related to hancockwildlife.org by clicking Manage Data on screen shown above, then searching for hancockwildlife.org and clicking Remove All Shown. Then click Save Changes, and confirm that you want to delete the chosen cookies.
20190131_003.jpg

JudyB
Admin

How to Delete the Cookies the Forum Uses to Remember Your Login Info - part 3
Internet Explorer

Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner, then scroll down to Safety, then click on Delete Browsing History.
20190131_007.jpg

To delete all your cookies, check Cookies and Website Data and uncheck everything else, then click Delete.
20190131_008.jpg

IF none of the hancockwildlife.org links are in your favorites - or if you first delete them from your favorites, I think you can also click the top box to Preserve Favorites Website Data, and that should save the login info for your other favorite sites - but I have not tried this myself.

To Delete Only Hancock Wildlife Cookies

Click on the gear/tools icon in the upper right corner, scroll down to Internet Options and click that, then scroll down to Browsing History and click Settings, and then click View Files in the lower right corner

You'll see a lot of really weirdly named files; there's a search box in the upper right corner - type "hancock" - which should show you all the cookies for hancockwildlife.org; you can highlight them all, then right-click and delete

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:44 pm

How to Delete the Cookies the Forum Uses to Remember Your Login Info using:

Microsoft Edge - with thanks to gemini

1. Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner,
2. Scroll down and click on "Settings"

(click scap to enlarge)
MSEdge cleaning cache 1.jpg

3. Scroll down to clear "Clear browsing data" and click "Choose what to clear"
MSEdge clearing cache 2.jpg

4. Click the boxes beside "Cookies and saved website data" and "Cached data and files"
5. Click "Clear"
MSEdge clearing cache 3.jpg

Added - at this point I don't know how to clear only the cookies for HWF - if anyone knows how to do that, please let me know so I can add it. Thanks! ~JudyB

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:44 pm

How to Delete the Cookies the Forum Uses to Remember Your Login Info - part 5
Safari - with thanks to IrishEyes :thumlft:

In Safari click the Safari dropdown menu: preferences
Safari1_Bev.jpg

Then under privacy select manage website data. When the new widow appears select remove all.
This will sign you out of the forums, you will have to sign back in but it doesn’t prevent your browser from remembering your passwords.
Safari2_Bev.jpg
That removes the cookies just click done.

How to Delete Only Cookies related to HWF
Added by JudyB, who has not tested this

Select Preferences under the Safari menu and go to the Privacy tab as above; underneath the button to Remove All Website Data, it says how many sites have data stored, and there's a Details button to the right of that - click the Details button.

According to what I've found on the web, there's a Search box at the top of the page that lists the websites that have stored data. You should be able to search for hancockwildlife there, and then delete any cookies you find.

Deleting Cookies from Safari on an iPhone
Added by JudyB

Go to Settings

Scroll down until you find Safari and click on that (or touch or tap or whatever the proper word is)

Scroll down until you see Clear History and Website Data - tap that, and you can delete all cookies and website data.

To remove only HWF cookies on iPhone

Start as above and continue scrolling until you see Advanced and tap that

Tap Website Data

Tap Edit in the upper right corner; hancockwildlife.org was near the top on my phone - if you don't see it, you might need to click "view more" and scroll

Tap the red circle with a minus sign in the middle next to hancockwildlife; that will show a red Delete on the right - tap that

Click Done at the top, then use back arrows or whatever works to get out of there

Use Search at the top to find hancockwildlife.org

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 pm

reserved in case I forgot one

Please let me know if you use a different browser - [email protected]

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 pm

How To Use The DVR

1) Hover your cursor over the cam window until you see the red line at the bottom

How to use the DVR photo 1.jpg

2) Move your cursor to somewhere on the red line - the numbers show how far back you are (the cams can save up to 12 hours, though sometimes it's less) and you'll see a little thumbnail of what was happening then.

How to use the DVR photo 2.jpg

3) Move your cursor slowly along the line, and you'll see the thumbnail change as you skim through the action; if you see something interesting, click the red line, and you'll see the image full size, and streaming.

NOTE: As you move the cursor over the red line the thumbnail will blink. This sometimes makes it difficult to catch all the action - particularly if the action is very short in duration.

However, the blinking seems to diminish quite a bit if you move the cursor quickly back and forth (or forward and back) approximately one inch at a time along the red line. The second and third times over the line the thumbnail doesn't blink as much. Even though you are repeating your action, in the long run it is quicker.

4) When you've watched the activity, you can either continue moving the cursor along the red line - or hover and then click the word "live" in the lower left corner to jump to the current view.

How to use the DVR photo 3.jpg

I have noticed that at least on my computer, sometimes even though the time looks fairly close, the red light for LIVE isn't on, so I'm watching a few seconds behind real time. Not sure why that happens, but now when I go to my computer, one of the first things I do is make sure both cams are live (unless there's an eagle - watching eagles wins every time!).

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:34 pm

How to Save a Draft Post

You've just created the better part of a long post; you are interrupted and aren't ready to go public yet ....... What to do!

Click the "Save Draft" button.

save draft.jpg

Important Note: Any images you may have uploaded will be lost in saving your post as a draft.

If it is important to keep your images click "No" to return to your original post. Complete your work or type "Work in Progress" at the top of your post and "Submit." Your post will be public but intact for you to finish at a future date.

lose image.jpg

Otherwise click "Yes" to create a draft post.

To Retrieve and Edit your draft:

Continue to Next Post......

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:51 am

How To Retrieve and Save Your Final Draft

In the right hand corner at the top of the page, you should see your name - click on it to see a link to the "User Control Panel." Click on "User Control Panel." (All pictures can be made bigger by clicking 2x)

Control Panel.jpg

In the left hand column of the "Control Panel," click on "Manage drafts."
manage drafts.jpg

You will see a list of your Draft(s) Title. Here you can click on "View/Edit" (in the "SAVED AT" column) to:
draft list.jpg

1. see your draft without making changes. Click "Back to saved drafts" to return to your list of drafts without saving. Submit" your draft by clicking on "Load draft" and then "Submit."
Saving changes.jpg
OR

2. make changes to your draft. Click "Save" to keep your changes. (If you click "Back to Saved drafts" without saving, your changes will be lost.) Clicking "Save" will bring you back to the list of drafts where you can:
Saving changes2.jpg

a) return to the forum leaving your draft as is to be completed at another time by clicking on the "Topic" line under the draft title.
or
b) "Submit" your draft by clicking on "Load draft" and then "Submit."
return to forum.jpg
return to forum.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
Note: If you decide to save as a draft again, a second draft with your changes will be saved and will appear at the top of the "Draft Title" list which will include the first draft you saved. Handy if you aren't sure which version you want to uses!

3. Click on "Load Draft" without viewing or editing to return to your original post where you can make your changes in normal post mode and then "Submit."
Upload Draft.jpg

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:50 am

gemini wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm
How to Do Posh Links

1. Copy the url you want to make posh
2. Type into your post [url=
3. Paste the copied url in after the =
4. Type in ] at the end of the pasted url
5. Type the name you want to call it after the ] e.g. My Posh Link Name
6 Type in [/url] after the name
Preview and post.

Alternate method:
1. Copy the url you want to make a posh
2 Type into your post the name of your posh link e.g. My Posh Link Name
3. Select (highlight) the name of your posh link and click the "url button" (looks like a chain) in editing tools above
4. Type an = after the "l" of the first "url" and paste in the copied url next to the =
Preview and post

With both methods your posh link will look like this before submitting: (without the space after the first bracket)

[ url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org]My Posh Link Name[/url]

Your posh link will look like this after submitting : My Posh Link Name
To enhance your Posh Link, select the title (My Posh Link Name) and click your choices from the editing tools above.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon May 02, 2022 4:20 pm

What To Do If Your Inbox Is Full

coming soon....

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:48 am

How to copy a link to a post on an Android (Samsung TAB A) tablet.
(This, or some variation of it, may work on other tablets as well. Worth a try anyhow!)

Touch and hold your finger on the little square beside the poster's name once or twice (sometimes it misses on the first touch)

copy link on tablet.jpg
copy link on tablet.jpg (18.35 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

This brings up a list of choices. Touch and hold "copy link." A message saying "link copied to clipboard" pops up.
copy link.jpg
copy link.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

Then open a new post, touch and hold your finger in a blank area of the new post and the word "paste" shows up beside a "green balloon" in the upper left hand corner. Touch "paste" with your finger and the link will appear in the new post.
paste.jpg
paste.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

Return to “Welcome - and Helpful Hints!”