Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

To store 'HWF Cams no longer active' discussion topics: Lafarge;
JudyB
Admin

Re: Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Halfway There!
It's been 12 days since we've seen Dusk and Dawn together - here they are with Dawn getting ready to leave the branch where Dusk has been perching after a brief visit.
(July 16 screenshot courtesy of Sandy_W)
Dusk may have set off on his great adventure later that day or early on the 17th, and Dawn may have left on the 17th or 18th. There's no way to know where they went - but I do understand that salmon start spawning in northern British Columbia and Alaska earlier than they do out by Harrison Mills - and I noticed that the small town of Galena, Alaska, is sort of near the middle of Alaska and is located on the Yukon River - so (unscientific flight of fancy coming up) - maybe that's where they are going - and maybe by now they're about halfway there! It's about 2600 km or 1600 miles from Vancouver to Galena, and adult eagles can fly at least 200 km or 125 miles per day - so if an adult left at the same time, they might be there. But I'm guessing it takes youngsters a while to get the rhythm for long flights - and there are so many things to see along the way. :love:

Anyway, we don't know where Dusk and Dawn are - but we do know where our fundraising drive is - as of last night, we were halfway to our goal of $5000 for maintenance on the cams at Delta 2!

A big thanks to the people who have adopted Delta 2:
Pre-Adoptions for the 2019 Nesting Season –
September 2018 – August 2019

Irish Eyes
Bonnie (txsun)
Sandy_W
Katheryn Leszczynski and Ray Townsend
Jean
Yolande Proctor
and to those who are supporting us in other ways!

And there's still time to help raise the funds we need for the cleaning and maintenance of Delta 2 - because we are halfway to our goal (and Dusk and Dawn may be halfway to Alaska), we are adding an extra day to our drive - so we're halfway through the drive; donations through Sunday will be added to the total! We do want to make sure that next year's chicks can have closeups like this one of Dawn:
(July 16 screenshot courtesy of Jean)
The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt Delta 2 or the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly." Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently about $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so you may want to contact Karen Bills ([email protected]) and let her know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact Karen or me ([email protected]) and we'll be happy to help.

Ma's new mate was still around earlier today, keeping an eye on his new territory like he was doing in this screenshot:
(July 26 screenshot courtesy of SueB)
but soon he will also be on the path north to the salmon - and we'll have our opportunity to clean the cams for next year.

Thank you all for helping us get ready.

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 pm

What nest are fledglings Dusk & Dawn? by JudyB

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:16 pm

JudiW wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 pm
What nest are fledglings Dusk & Dawn? by JudyB
They are from our Delta 2 nest, Judi.

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:05 pm

:wave:

Stan and I went by the nest two days ago and we saw only one eaglet at Pandora.
It was at about 8:20 pm.
The eaglet was complaining.
It was so well hidden that we did not take a picture of it sorry.

Then we went to the AN and saw one adult.

Laf. AN a.jpg

Laf. AN b.jpg

Then we drove up Wall St. to Renfrew hoping we would find the rest of the Lafarg fam. but no show.
I wish I knew where they were. :dunno:

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:00 am

SUNDAY, JULY 29, 2018

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 am

Wonderful to see someone at the artificial nest - thanks, Annemie! I do miss the cam here!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 am

Hi everyone!

For some reason this morning I've been thinking of the little birds we call the "Merry Maids" who swoop into a nest in large numbers as soon as the eaglets start spending time away from the nest, looking for little scraps of food and probably bugs and generally cleaning up the nest while the "kids" are away. I don't have a picture to include - they are small and tend to blend in with the nest so it's mainly their movement that lets you see them.

I'm also thinking of a quote by Margaret Mead, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Since we began moving to this new forum six months ago, we've had almost 500 people join us here - and over 200 of you have taken a deep breath - and made a post - and many have become active observers of many cams and many local nests, in North America and around the world. I'd like to invite those of you who are watching and reading to pick a thread you're following and make a post - something simple like "great pictures" or "I can't believe how big the wings are" are easy ways to start. And everyone is welcome to share what you see on any of the cams we are following - or to let us know what is happening in your back yard!

We do have a lot of expenses - the cameras and their maintenance is a big chunk, but so are the computer and internet expenses associated with maintaining a forum that had 87510 posts in its first 6 months, and over 130,000 attached images. Large donations are obviously nice - but we also need people who can give $25 or $50, or join our monthly donor program at $10 or S20/month. Like the Merry Maids and Margaret Mead's small group, together we can move mountains!

Please click here to go to our donations page and remember that the amounts listed under various projects like Eagle Cam Repairs and Monthly Support are suggestions - you pick the amount you give.

If you have questions, please contact me ([email protected]) or Karen Bills ([email protected]).

Thank you for joining us - and together we'll see what the future will bring!

Here's an image from July 9 courtesy of RitaR, with Dawn and Dusk contemplating their future:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 pm

At 9.40 AM this morning the remaining eaglet was high in a fir tree up the road on the north side of Triumph St. Shortly after I heard the sound of seagulls and watched as one of the adults did a quick food drop at the Pandora nest. It kept going but this prompted the eaglet to take flight and head over and have some breakfast.

When I came back later Pa was on his favorite perch and the eaglet was on the nest still picking over what was delivered earlier.

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:27 pm

5:20 pm Sunday
One adult at the nest right now.
Annemie thanks for getting those photos of the eagles with their wings hanging low (to cool off). I found those quite amusing - although perhaps the eagles do not find this heat amusing.
I saw Pa with his eaglet next to him on his favourite branch yesterday - wish I had gotten a photo of that.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:57 pm

MONDAY, JULY 30, 2018

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:18 pm

:wave:

It was already past 8 pm when Stan and I arrived at the nest last night.

We saw eaglet and Ma sitting together on the nest tree.
I was happy that eaglet had it's ma there.

Pandora July 29, 2018 a.jpg
Ma was looking west, eaglet was looking east.
Pandora July 29, 2018 b.jpg
A seagull was screaming at lady, dive bombing her and then. as you can see,
pooped on Lady's back.
Lady was very vocal and upset about that.
Pandora July 29, 2018 c.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Lady was protesting.

Pandora July 29, 2018 d.jpg
This is a typical lady picture with her flat head :D
Pandora July 29, 2018 e.jpg
The seagull left the little eaglet in peace.
Pandora July 29, 2018 f.jpg
We walked under the tree and saw a fresh but uneaten dead but beautiful baby seagull lying in the grass. :cry1:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Everyone was hot hot hot.
Pandora July 29, 2018 g.jpg
Pandora July 29, 2018 h.jpg
Pandora July 29, 2018 i.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm

One more picture of the eaglet because it is so beautiful. :love:

Pandora July 29, 2018 j.jpg

So sad that the other eaglet disappeared.
I so hope it is o.k. but I cannot understand why it never came back after her first fledge. :(

:bye 1: :grhug:

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Great photos Annemie - always wonderful.
I have also been wondering why after seeing the eaglet fledge that day I haven't seen it again. I was thinking if something happened we would have heard about it in the neighbourhood. The other day both an adult and the one eaglet were in the tree when another eagle flew by and I wasn't quick enough to catch if it had a white head or was possibly the other eaglet. Really wished I had been able to see. Is it unusual for an eaglet to fledge and be gone for good that same day, or is this out of the norm?

Return to “Archive - HWF Cams No Longer Active”