Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

To store 'HWF Cams no longer active' discussion topics: Lafarge;
gemini
Admin

Re: Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

Post by gemini » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Thank you for the reports and photos Stan, Annemie and Eastvan Girl!

These two were sure anxious to see the world! They left very quickly - no lollygagging around for them!

Maybe they will come back? :luck: Probably wishful thinking? :sigh:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:17 pm

gemini wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:40 pm
Thank you for the reports and photos Stan, Annemie and Eastvan Girl!

These two were sure anxious to see the world! They left very quickly - no lollygagging around for them!

Maybe they will come back? :luck: Probably wishful thinking? :sigh:

Well ONE came back ;)

I could see it high on a western branch all the way from Nanaimo and Hastings just before 5.

Couldn't spot #2 as I got closer to the nest tree and wish it happy trails :luck:

I'll go back one more time later and check to see who's around when it cools down :sunny:

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 pm

9:03 pm
Hi everyone,
There is one eaglet on Pa's branch. It is sitting with it's wings in a strange position (but maybe not so strange for an eagle). I saw one of the adults at the tree with the eaglet around 7:15pm.
And it definetly seems like the other one has left for good. But I will keep watching.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 pm

THURSDAY, JULY 26, 2018

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 am

Yes no luck for Annemie and I either on the spotting of the 2nd eaglet last night. There was late fly in and fly out with the adults but #2 is still a no show :luck:

Oh what you saw last night Eastvan Girl is how the eagles cool down in very hot weather. Never seen a eaglet do it to that degree so it was treat to see :Cool: Annemie has some nice shots to share of it down the road :)

P.S. All the drama last night was the targeted shooting nearby :ohmy: . Annemie and I heard what appeared to be fireworks going off and I said to her who were be letting off fireworks on the hottest day of the year? :puzz:. Moments later a sea of police arrived a few blocks north of the Pandora nest tree....yikes! One man dead....WAY to close to home folks :donpan: :shock:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am

Good morning, everyone!

It seems like only yesterday that Dusk, the older eaglet at Delta 2, hatched:
(April 11 image courtesy of SueB)

And it was just two weeks ago that he (or maybe she) was perching on the distant towers like the big eagle he was rapidly becoming!
(July 12 image courtesy of Jean)

And now he and Dawn have both left on their great adventure, following their instincts and lots of other young eagles to the places where salmon will be easy food as their hunting and scavenging skills increase.

It's amazing what an eaglet can do in three short months.

And I've learned that it's pretty amazing what our members and supporters and those who quietly just watch the cams can do in three short days, so....

Delta 2 Matching Drive Starts Now!
As many of you know, Delta 2 is a viewer-sponsored nest - and we need to raise $5000 for cleaning and maintenance on the cams while the eagles are away in August and September.

And the cams are badly in need of cleaning.

Happily some long-time friends of Delta 2 are willing to match the first $1000 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2 (or one of our other nests) for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt Delta 2 or the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly." Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently about $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so you may want to contact Karen Bills ([email protected]) and let her know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact Karen or me ([email protected]) and we'll be happy to help.

Please click the picture below of Dusk preparing to fledge while Dawn watches to go to our Donations page:
(June 30 image courtesy of SandyW)
Thank you to all of you who have been supporting Delta 2 and our other nests over the years with your donations and your observations - you're the greatest! :thumlft:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:14 pm

:wave:

It was 8:54 pm on July 25th and Stan and I saw that one eaglet came back home to the nest tree.
It looked like a new type of butterfly. :mihihi:
Pand. July 25th 2018 a.jpg
:rh: :rh: :rh:
Pand. July 25th 2018 b.jpg
Lady was home as well. How nice of her to join her eaglet. :rh:
Pand. July 25th 2018 c.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 pm

The little eaglet decided to fly to it's ma.
Pand. July 25th 2018 d.jpg
There they were, side by side...
Pand. July 25th 2018 e.jpg
enjoying the evening.
Pand. July 25th 2018 g.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Pand. July 25th 2018 h.jpg
Lady and her baby watched the sunset...
Pand. July 25th 2018 i.jpg
and the full moon.
Pand. July 25th 2018 j.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm

The eaglet looked so slim and dainty. :love:

Pand. July 25th 2018 k.jpg

The eaglet seemed very happy, good night little eaglet and Ma, we have to go.
Pand. July 25th 2018 l.jpg
(Even Pa flew in and out to say hi but it happened so fast, I couldn't make a picture of it.)

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:58 pm

FRIDAY, JULY 27, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:18 am

What lovely pictures - thanks so much, Annemie!

2018 Matching Drive - Day 2!
Good morning, everyone!

We are off to a modest start for our matching drive - not surprising since there is not as much activity on the cams right now (except for the Australian Sea-Eagle cam which has two tiny chicks and at least a dozen active osprey cams and the panda cams and ... maybe you should just check our excellent site map to see all the different cams and nests we observe and document).

The primary purpose of this matching drive is to cover the cost of cleaning our Delta 2 cam - which could use some cleaning - can you find the eagle?
And happily the first $1000 in donations will be matched by some long-time supporters - and we need your help to reach that goal.

One option is to adopt the Delta 2 nest (or one of our other nests) - check out yesterday's post for more information on adopting a nest, and some cute pictures of eaglets Dusk and Dawn.

We would also love to have more people join our monthly donation program - it's very easy with CanadaHelps! Just go to our donations page https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/, click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link, change the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly," enter the amount you'd like to donate each month, fill in your contact info and credit card details, and click "Complete Donation Now."

You can also adopt a nest on the installment plan - just let Karen know your donation is towards a nest adoption, and she'll keep track of it from there ([email protected]). If you donate $50/month for the next 5 months, you'll be able to adopt Delta 2 (or one of our other nests) by the end of the year.

Big thanks to our early adopters for Delta 2 -
Pre-Adoptions for the 2019 Nesting Season –
September 2018 – August 2019

Irish Eyes
Bonnie (txsun)
and to those who are diligently zooming and documenting the close of the current nesting season, as the new male keeps watch over his territory for a little while before following Mom and the chicks north in search of salmon - and to everyone who watched and posted on all of our nest observation threads and the other 200+ forum topics.

The remaining eagles will be leaving soon - and will be back soon - and we'd love to have sparkling clean cams to greet them on as many of our nests as possible, and definitely on Delta 2. Thank you.

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:48 pm

What beautiful captures of Apollo and Lady, :eag: :eag: Annemie

Apollo, the look its under a heat wave here in Vancouver and she might be beating the heat in that wing position, she's kind of slim but it might be slim pickings this year due shortage of fish and local birds, :fish:
as its not the old nest like previous seasons before the old nest got blown away in a storm and Pa had them both on a Veggie diet from the local garden :mihihi: but Lafarge regulars of this nest will tell you the first to fledge from this nest always disappears for a couple of days or so and heads down to Burrard Inlet near the AN to the beach so when Pa goes food hunting that's his stomping ground and he also taught Lady to live on seagull, fish, local birds but not crows and feed her young...they are Urban eagles...…… my opinions and a few regulars like JudyB and Gemini, Karen who have watched this nest of eagles follow Pa the mighty and does the same every year, yes he's a creature of habit or should I say rules the roost as he taught Lady for the last two or is it three seasons just how his nest and eaglets should be fed and raised until fledging, the old smoothie :rh: :love: .....Pa Lafarge rules :eag: Love you too Lady Lafarge :rh: :love: :eag:

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:30 am

SATURDAY, JULY 28, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:05 am

So sorry David about the tree being chopped down with the nest on it and I hope they catch the culprit who chopped down the tree but is there not another tree in the area....South Surrey/Delta where you and the crew could salt another tree and the eagles will build a new nest in the desired tree?

I want so badly to name a fledgling or eaglet after you and name the eaglet Hancock :grhug: :hug: that could be the future nest :love:

Thanks Karen for the news clip, Gary and I saw it on Channel 11 last nights news :vid: :ty:

:eag: :eag: :evil: :tt: :ohmy:

Return to “Archive - HWF Cams No Longer Active”