Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

To store 'HWF Cams no longer active' discussion topics: Lafarge;
gemini
Admin

Re: Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

Post by gemini » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Bringing forward the original petition announcement with the corrected link.

Stop the illegal destruction of eagle nests

The Croydon Drive Bald Eagle Nest in Surrey, BC, Canada illegally destroyed last month, must be the last Bald Eagle nest tree ever again cut down in B.C. without adequate mitigation plans.

For the full story please go HERE

Support this important cause. Stop the illegal destruction of eagle nests. Please visit the following link to sign the petition and help make this cause a success:

https://hancockwildlife.org/support-for ... mainland/

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi Lafarge regulars....I've been studying Annemie photo captures taken a few days apart and I believe, my opinion that these are two different eaglets because the first one is very slim and the other is bigger so I hope you don't mind Annemie of me copying the three photos you uploaded again with your permission just to compare the size of the fledglings Apollo and Artemis.....never on the nest tree at the same time after fledging :eag: :eag: JudyB had the right idea as there is definitely a difference in size :puzz:

posted on this thread by Annemie.....eaglet number 1

Apollo Lafarge 2018_edited_edited.jpg
posted on this thread by Annemie eaglet number 2
Lafarge eaglet cooling off_edited.jpg
both together to notice difference in size especially the shape of the head and beak
Lafarge Eaglets at the Pandora nest_edited.jpg

original photos taken by Annemie and uploaded by Annemie just copied for comparison

could I be right by comparison or do they seem like the same eaglet? My opinion they are two different eaglets one is slim and the other is fatter :love: :eag: :eag:

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 pm

TUESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2018

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am

Lady and one of the eaglets on the Pandora nest tree at 9.55 AM. Lady was down below the nest to the west and the eaglet was just west of the nest in the shade. At 11 AM on my return from shopping nobody was home in the tree on this very hot day :sunny:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:29 pm

JudiW wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:47 pm
Hi Lafarge regulars....I've been studying Annemie photo captures taken a few days apart and I believe, my opinion that these are two different eaglets because the first one is very slim and the other is bigger so I hope you don't mind Annemie of me copying the three photos you uploaded again with your permission just to compare the size of the fledglings Apollo and Artemis.....never on the nest tree at the same time after fledging :eag: :eag: JudyB had the right idea as there is definitely a difference in size :puzz:

posted on this thread by Annemie.....eaglet number 1

Apollo Lafarge 2018_edited_edited.jpg

posted on this thread by Annemie eaglet number 2

Lafarge eaglet cooling off_edited.jpg

both together to notice difference in size especially the shape of the head and beak

Lafarge Eaglets at the Pandora nest_edited.jpg

original photos taken by Annemie and uploaded by Annemie just copied for comparison

could I be right by comparison or do they seem like the same eaglet? My opinion they are two different eaglets one is slim and the other is fatter :love: :eag: :eag:

:wave:

Hi JudiW
You may just have a point here saying that what we think is one eaglet is actually two different eaglets, thank you for noticing and for your thoughts on that. I am fine with that you used my pictures to prove a point.
I myself have been wondering why eaglet looks so slim in one picture and then again seems bigger in another picture.
If you are right and we do see Apollo one day and Artemis on another day without noticing that we see different eaglets instead of just seeing the same one that would be great indeed. :woohoo:
That would mean that both of them a around and well.
The only thing that makes me wonder about these eaglets is that how come we never see them together?
I mean one of us ground observers is going there at least once a day and that for quite a while now. :puzz:
I am going to take a closer at these eaglet twins and see if I can notice any other differences.
I know that all of us Lafarge eagle lovers would be quite relieved knowing for sure that both of them are o.k.

Did someone else notice something along those lines looking at the pictures Eastvan Girl and I took?

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:56 pm

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 am

AnnemieJudyB suggested it earlier in a blog here, as I hadn't read it when I thought the two looked different in size and head until after the fact, like the first to fledge Apollo was bigger in stature, maybe female? :dunno: :eag: than the second Artemis so that would be a male who is smaller in stature in a pretty pose copying Lady's pose to beat the heat...

but like JudyB and Gemini & Nightowl :wave: I've been following this nest since 2010 and the first hatched and fledged usually disappeared for a couple of days and was spotted always down at the Burrard Inlet shore where Ma and Pa hunted for food.....you need to look there down at the Lafarge Plant where the AN nest is or the old nest used to be …..as Pa is a creature of habit and always goes there to hunt for seagulls, ducks, coots, pigeons and fish and the odd rat :love: :fish:a little cove down on Burrard Inlet is their desired hunting grounds in the past anyway, the community garden is a first for me to see where he goes for food and its probably for critters not the veggies all to feed his eaglets......also Pa and Lady hunt down by the Inlet as they are Urban eagles should say city slickers :mihihi: and eat on the AN and also mate, so instead of catching Apollo on the nest tree check out the Lafarge Plant site and AN area, I'm sure if Pa had a desirable tree closer to the waterfront he'd be nesting there with Lady :thumlft: :hatch: :hatch: :eag: :eag: oh well maybe next season :luck:
Last edited by JudiW on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 am

SATURDAY, AUGUST 11, 2018

SUNDAY, AUGUST 12, 2018

MONDAY, AUGUST 13, 2018

TUESDAY, AUGUST 14, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 pm

DAVID HANCOCK INTERVIEW

Click on the link to see David’s latest interview. It will be shown at the International Ornithological Congress in Vancouver next week, Aug. 22 – 25, 20182

Link: INTERVIEW

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 pm

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Great video with David about our BC eagles :eag: :rh: :rh: :eag: :thumlft:

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 pm

THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 2018

FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

Eastvan Girl
Content Provider

Post by Eastvan Girl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been away on vacation for part of August so haven't been able to do any observations. But I am happy to read that perhaps both Artemis and Apollo have been visiting the tree, just at different times. Not sure if the eaglets are still around now, but I can start watching things again.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:35 am

SATURDAY, AUGUST 18, 2018

Member since May 9, 2006

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 am

:wave: Hi everyone

We also have been away so we don't know if the eagles are still at home.
Whe have been by the nest a few times in the last three days but have not seen the eagles.

JudyW.
Thank you for your message.
Stan and I do check out the AN as time permits.
Stan checks it out at least once a day and he has never seen an eaglet down there.
Pa has been protecting that area all summer and Lady comes when she can.

Here is a picture I posted earlier in the year.

Laf. AN b.jpg

Welcome back Eastvan Girl, thanks for the link to David's interview Gemini, I really enjoyed it,

We had a great season and a big thank you to everyone that was a part of it. :thumlft:

:grhug:

Return to “Archive - HWF Cams No Longer Active”