Hellgate Canyon MT Osprey Nest.. 2018

To store all archived 'Osprey' discussion topics topics
IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Hellgate Canyon MT Osprey Nest.. 2018

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Click here to View the Cam
The new cam is equipped with Infrared..... providing night vision for our viewers while not interfering with the Osprey!

Welcome to the 2018 Season At Hellgate Canyon Osprey Nest!

The nest is located in Missoula, Montana, on the Clark Fork River and and thank you HWF for featuring it on your web site along with a nest thread where we can post our observations, scaps and videos......giving us the opportunity to learn about these beautiful birds ..

Special thanks to Cal04 for bringing this cam to the attention of HWF and providing a history for this cam and it's sister cam at Dunrovin Ranch ..

This thread is for scaps, videos and observations of the Osprey..Please limit smileys to three per post....Thank You and Enjoy!

2017 was a very sad year for this nest....Iris laid 4 eggs and they all hatched ....DR. Eric Greene explained it best.

Hi everyone,
This has been an extremely traumatic couple of days, and it is a very sad day for all of us associated with the Montana Osprey Project.
All three of the remaining osprey chicks starved to death, with the biggest one dying this morning. The ultimate cause has been the difficult fishing conditions, with extremely high and muddy waters. Just as the rivers were starting to clear a bit, the strong rains of the last few days brought a lot more mud and silt into the rivers.
I am not sure what effect the extremely aggressive osprey intruder the last couple of days had on Louis' ability to fish. Osprey intruders are quite common at nests, and we see them every year. They generally fly close to the nest and often land on them too. But when they do, they tend to be very submissive, and are eventually shown the door. But the latest osprey intruder was surprisingly aggressive - diving on and hitting Louis right off the nest. I was concerned that Louis was injured by the attacks yesterday. I combed the bushes underneath the nest and along the river but did not see him. He did not return to the nest yesterday after he was hit. I do not know what to make of this aggressive behavior. Ospreys in general are quite sociable. I have studied them nesting in large colonies (with MANY osprey nests packed close together) and have never seen this sort of aggression before.
So we all had such high hopes for Iris and Louis this year, especially since this is the first time in three breeding seasons that chicks have hatched in this nest.
The lesson that I take away from this nest camera is an appreciation of the many challenges that wild animals must deal with in order to survive and successfully reproduce. Iris had spoiled us for so many years by being such a successful osprey mother, and we had perhaps taken success for granted.
RIP little chicks, Erick Greene

I like this by Judy B

Big hugs to all who have been watching and posting here - this is all so very, very hard.

Rest in peace, little ones :brknhrt: - and I'm seeing four little beams of light shining on Iris and Louis as they recover begin to get ready for the season away and for next year. :grhug:

Link to 2017

Weather Report

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/we ... a/missoula

Link to Facebook

Incubation Period for eggs. 35 - 42 days.

Chicks fledge between 53 and 60 days old....

Time Line..2018

Osprey Return ... Louis April 4 ,12:24pm / Iris April 6th, 5:03 pm

Eggs Laid..Egg# 1 April 27, 11:04am ..Video by Darlene ..... EGG # 2 April 30 ...Video with thanks to Cornell Lab Bird Cams Project .....EGG#3 May 3.. Video with thanks to Cornell Lab Bird Cams

Hatched ..June 4... Egg#1 38 days old .....viewtopic.php?p=63215#p63215.. :vid:..... https://youtu.be/js37OYp40xE

Egg#2 ..June 5 ..36days old .....viewtopic.php?p=63835#p63835
:vid: https://youtu.be/N30CxS_olrM

Egg# 3 ..June 8, 36days old.. viewtopic.php?p=65601#p65601

:vid: https://youtu.be/PHwgNcNaW80

June 11...Sadly chick # 3 passed over the rainbow today at 3days old.. :brknhrt: :cry1: Cause of death.. Bad weather resulting in shortage of food..

June 25....C 2 passed over the rainbow at 20..ays old..... :brknhrt: :cry1: Cause of death.. Bad weather .. Sibling Rivalry and shortage of food

July4, 2018 7:13pm..... Two Parents..Two Fish ..Onechick......viewtopic.php?p=80175#p80175

Chick named .. July 12, Le'le....viewtopic.php?p=84033#p84033

July 13....
viewtopic.php?p=84523#p84523

Fledge ..L'el'e .August 5 at 6:58am....62 days old ..viewtopic.php?p=92998#p92998

Last seen .L'el'e Sept 2 .. 90 days old or Sept. 3 .. 91 days or 13 weeks old.

Sept 4.. DR Greene saw L'el'e , Iris and Louis up river.

Sept.10 .... Iris

Sept.14..Louis..

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Re: 2018 Hellgate Canyon MT Osprey Nest

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Iris and Louis
screenshot_26.jpg
Louis
screenshot_27.jpg
s'caps by Jean aka mjb

More pictures of Louis

HERE

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Comparison Picture taken April 8, 2017: Louis on the left..............Iris behind on the right.
screenshot_28.jpg
This shows the differences from the front.............Iris has a necklace..." speckled chest" Louis has a solid white chest She is quite dark on the forehead while Louis has more white showing on his forehead. His dark feathers on the forehead make more of a vertical line while Iris' dark patch is broader/wider.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Pictures of the 2017 chicks

Chick #1 recently hatch
screenshot_02.jpg
Courtesy of Irish Eyes.

Chicks # 2 # 3 and # 4
screenshot_01.jpg
Courtesy of stephaniemhood

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Information

Bonding. The pair are confirming their bond from last season.

Mating, you will see the female's tail up.

Possessive, you will see a quick on and off by the male, and other indications off territory disputes.

Post by Judy B re ...Osprey

Osprey information

Osprey Facts.....Rutland Osprey

The annual migration by Ospreys from northern breeding grounds to southern wintering spots and back again never ceases to amaze or raise questions. Here, Dr. Bob Kennedy answers a few

Read Here and Scroll Down
Osprey with fishDescription: Also known as the “fish hawk,” ospreys are raptors that are well adapted for fishing. They have long legs and large feet with specialized barbs on the pads, hooked talons, and a reversible outer toe that allows them to easily grasp fish with two toes pointing front and two pointing rear. They have an oily waterproof coating on their wings, and they can close their nostrils when they plunge into the water. They have slender bodies and long wings that are bent at the ‘wrist’. Their strong wings give them extra lift to fly up and out of the water with a heavy fish. They have a black bill with a sharp hook for eating fish.

Resource

Here is great article on

Bird Emotions
Do Birds Have Feelings?

BY MELISSA MAYNTZ
Updated 02/23/17

https://www.thespruce.com/examining-bir ... ons-386439

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 pm

From FB ... I didn't know this

6/6 You may have noticed that our chicks were hatched with down covering most of their body. Soon after hatch their eyes opened and they were able to feed from Iris's bill. The term that describes chicks hatched with these characteristics is "semi-precocial."
#HellgateOsprey

I googled and found this also
In biology, precocial species are those in which the young are relatively mature and mobile from the moment of birth or hatching. The opposite developmental strategy is called "altricial," where the young are born or hatched helpless.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Reserved

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Re: Hellgate Canyon MT Osprey Nest.. 2018

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 pm

SUNDAY, APRIL 1, 2018

HAPPY EASTER ALL

I am opening this nest thread at the request of Fly Forever Free and this is why..

Montana Osprey Cams
March 26 at 4:48pm ·
Hi everyone,
Well - osprey season has officially started in Missoula! This morning the female osprey arrived back at the Osprey Baseball nest! This is the next osprey nest about a mile down the river from the Hellgate nest.
There was a "goose excluder" up on the nest, and folks from Missoula Parks and Recreation took it off just after the osprey got back. She started collecting sticks right away! Her mate returned just a few hours later, and so they are off to the races. This pair of ospreys is typically among the first ones back every spring!
Cheers, Erick Greene

Thanks FFF for letting me know and hoping for a successful season here .. :)

FlyForeverFree
Topic Assistant

Post by FlyForeverFree » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:42 pm

You're very welcomed .. Here's hoping that Iris and Louis find their way back to their nest and raise a wonderful family together this season.
“No matter how few possessions you own or how little money you have, loving wildlife and nature will make you rich beyond measure.”

― Paul Oxton

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 am

MONDAY,APRIL 2, 2018

Good Morning Hellgate and everyone.
9:16am
Snow on the empty nest
screenshot_17.jpg
Keeping good thoughts that Iris and Louis return safely from their migration . :love:

Last season Louis returned April 6 and Iris April 7 ..

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:19 am

TUESDAY,APRIL 3 , 2018

Good Morning Hellgate

6:02am..cl for bigger
screenshot_31.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 am

Daylight....... nest is full of snow and train is going by.. no sound yet !
9:16am
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 12.17.15 PM.png

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Now the time has almost come for Iris and Louis to reappear,
we hope the train welcomes them soon....
And for new life on this nest after years.....
Crossing fingers.....
carolyn

Thank you Bev and FFF....cool that the Baseball osprey are back, both.
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

stephaniemhood
Topic Assistant

Post by stephaniemhood » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Hey Bev and Carolyn :bye 1:

I saw this posted in another group of mine so I wanted to come here and share the news...Louis is home!!
404 1225.jpg
404 1225 2.jpg

I remember the heartache here last season so I'm hoping for great things this season for all of you who watch here :grhug:
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
-Native American Proverb

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:21 pm

stephaniemhood wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:09 pm
Hey Bev and Carolyn :bye 1:

I saw this posted in another group of mine so I wanted to come here and share the news...Louis is home!!

404 1225.jpg
404 1225 2.jpg

I remember the heartache here last season so I'm hoping for great things this season for all of you who watch here :grhug:
Thanks so much Steph :hug: and welcome home Louis :cloud9:

So Handsome \
12:25pm
screenshot_76.jpg
Now we wait for Iris and hoping for a successful season here . :love:

Return to “Archive - Osprey”