Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

CC398
Topic Assistant

Re: Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:53 am

1153 - there has been lots of calling but so far I have been unable to locate anyone. Frustrating because I can tell it's close by.
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:41 pm

2:40 pm
Someone just landed. Logging in.
20211124_006.jpg

I didn't get in fast enough to get a close look. The feather on the right side of the tail in the image above looks like Sur, and the neckline looked like Sur.

But I did not see the usual dark spots on the upper tail, even when I went to full screen:
20211124_009.jpg

And the eye doesn't really look like Sur's.
20211124_008.jpg

I'm not sure that it looks like the intruder's either - am going to find a close-up of the intruder's right eye.

Added -
Sigh - I wish I'd been able to get a closer look - but I think it was the intruder in spite of the shorter feather on the right side of the tail. It seems that if Sur had been away, he would have done more standing & looking.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi Judy. I recognize those eyes and large body to be the Intruders. :cry1:
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Hi all. I'm watching and listening while I work. Im going to move the cams close to the Nest to try and catch an evening visit, up close. Please feel free to move them (;

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:43 pm

1636 - I caught something pretty incredible and heartbreaking at the same time, but at the current time, the New Male is perching close to Res. There was quite the argument when he landed at around 1630, but the pale-eyed New Male did not back down.

She was offended and vocalized in protest when he moved to her far right. :cry1:

I am seriously acknowledging the very real possibility that beloved Sur is gone and that this Intruder is courting Res and she is relenting.

I haven't been touched by Sur as long as so many of you have, but I am beyond attached to him and wonder how I will accept the Eagle who chased Sur off or worse. My heart breaks for Res.

The New Male is watching Res constantly

:grhug:
Attachments
17.JPG
20.JPG
22.JPG
Last edited by CC398 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:03 pm

1700 - Res on the left and the New Male on the right will most likely stay here for the night, together
Attachments
23.JPG
24.JPG
Last edited by CC398 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:58 pm

There's just something about this one from earlier. :cry1:

It is what it is Res.
Attachments
19.JPG
Last edited by CC398 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 pm

CC398 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:43 pm
1636 - I caught something pretty incredible and heartbreaking at the same time, but at the current time, the Intruder is perching close to Res. There was quite the argument when he landed at around 1630, but the Intruder did not back down.

She was offended when he moved to her far right. :cry1:

I am seriously acknowledging the very real possibility that Sur is gone and that this Intruder is courting Res.

I haven't been touched by Sur as long as so many of you have, but I am beyond attached to him and wonder how I will accept the Eagle who chased Sur off or worse. My heart breaks for Res.

The Intruder is watching Res constantly
In case you hadn't noticed, Sur is my current avatar here - mostly luck of the draw, as I wanted Sur or Res when I committed to this as my primary nest (I loved the original pair at Harrison Mills, and love the new pair, but they have more observers than we do, so I switched to Surrey).

We are checking with OWL in case an injured eagle was brought in, but for now, I am heartbroken that we may not get to see Sur interact with this season's little eaglets - but am trying to accept that eagles don't always mate for life, and that he may find an even more perfect companion (though Sur and Res did seem to fit together very well) - and am wondering how Res will train this powerful but young new male to be her mate in raising new eaglets in the spring. I remember the magical moment on another nest when the male realized that the tiny chick was reaching up to him while he was eating - and figured how to give the very little chick the first bite of food he had probably ever given anyone but himself. I cried a bit for the mate who was gone - but had happy tears at this first step by the new male to become an equal partner in raising the chicks he had fathered.

It will almost certainly be a bit of an emotional roller coaster - but I sort of have to believe that the universe will make it right in the end. :rh:

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:27 pm

JudyB wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 pm
CC398 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:43 pm
1636 - I caught something pretty incredible and heartbreaking at the same time, but at the current time, the Intruder is perching close to Res. There was quite the argument when he landed at around 1630, but the Intruder did not back down.

She was offended when he moved to her far right. :cry1:

I am seriously acknowledging the very real possibility that Sur is gone and that this Intruder is courting Res.

The Intruder is watching Res constantly

In case you hadn't noticed, Sur is my current avatar here - mostly luck of the draw, as I wanted Sur or Res when I committed to this as my primary nest (I loved the original pair at Harrison Mills, and love the new pair, but they have more observers than we do, so I switched to Surrey).

We are checking with OWL in case an injured eagle was brought in, but for now, I am heartbroken that we may not get to see Sur interact with this season's little eaglets - but am trying to accept that eagles don't always mate for life, and that he may find an even more perfect companion (though Sur and Res did seem to fit together very well) - and am wondering how Res will train this powerful but young new male to be her mate in raising new eaglets in the spring. I remember the magical moment on another nest when the male realized that the tiny chick was reaching up to him while he was eating - and figured how to give the very little chick the first bite of food he had probably ever given anyone but himself. I cried a bit for the mate who was gone - but had happy tears at this first step by the new male to become an equal partner in raising the chicks he had fathered.

It will almost certainly be a bit of an emotional roller coaster - but I sort of have to believe that the universe will make it right in the end. :rh:

Oh, Judy that was so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts..I'm in tears reading about Sur's first feeding experience from your perspective. I was just today trying to enlarge your avatar thinking it was Sur!

Sending lots of love and light to you and all our SR friends and of course the magnificent American Bald Eagle Sur, who I pray that never suffers or if he is struggling and needs human help, that he is visible so that we can find him. Or even better, that he is flying off unhurt to new adventures for a second chance with a new mate and a great new nest.

:grhug: :rh: :brknhrt:
Attachments
24.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Thanks, CC! :huggie:

I may not have been clear in my post - Sur was an experienced dad when we first met him - the new dad I was referencing was from a nest in West Virginia that I watched years ago - but it was a powerful moment. And I suspect Sur did have a similar moment - but before we had a cam here.

Here's a larger version of my avatar pic of Sur:
sur_20190322.jpg
sur_20190322.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 583 times

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:21 pm

JudyB wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Thanks, CC! :huggie:

I may not have been clear in my post - Sur was an experienced dad when we first met him - the new dad I was referencing was from a nest in West Virginia that I watched years ago - but it was a powerful moment. And I suspect Sur did have a similar moment - but before we had a cam here.

Here's a larger version of my avatar pic of Sur:

sur_20190322.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm

1928 - Res on the left is awake and watching, but not looking to her right where the New Male is also awake and watching Res, and his new surroundings.
Attachments
26.JPG

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:55 pm

1952 - Both Eagles, Res (far) and the New Male (closest) are wide awake and staring straight ahead. I have so far seen very little head tucking tonight from either Eagle.
Attachments
27.JPG

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:35 pm

2031 - Res's head is finally tucked. The New Male is awake, watching, preening, and checking on Res frequently

Res is comfortable enough to sleep. Sleep well Res. :rh:

I'll leave the cameras on our Eagles for our early birds to watch. Good night SR friends :grhug:
Attachments
28.JPG

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm

2038 - haha one last thing; multiple emergency vehicles went by, waking up our Eagles and causing some vocal drama.
Attachments
29.JPG

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”