Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

CC398
Topic Assistant

Re: Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Post by CC398 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:59 am

ROLLBACK STILL

The Eagle in the Nest flew out the back of the Nest at 00:11:50 and not long after an Eagle followed from the right of the screen
Attachments
58.jpg
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 am

CC398 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:42 am
Morning Judy, I found something of interest. I've rolled back to 00:07 ish to 00:09 - someone flew up to the top of the tree, followed by alerting and someone landed beside the tree Eagle, followed by more alerting and a visual wing flapping in front of the north cam 08:16 - I could not catch the wing flaps on scap but check it out.

00:11:50 more wing flaps were heard, like someone taking off before the landing Eagle took off.
Thanks for the summary, CC - that's what I saw in my quick review of the dvr earlier this morning. I'm going to try to grab a video from both cams as there was also someone in the nest during part of that time (likely the wing we saw).

Please feel free to move the cams - I'll be focused on the dvr for a while making the videos.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 am

1352 - Another visit, this one ended up perching for a while before another Eagle showed up... wow, what a busy night. I have to run to the shower to get ready for work. I'll come back and finish
Attachments
61.jpg
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 am

Got it, Judy. I'm going to stop yammering and let you do your thing instead of telling the same stories. :w00t:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 am

CC398 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 am
Got it, Judy. I'm going to stop yammering and let you do your thing instead of telling the same stories. :w00t:
I would have missed the later action if you hadn't mentioned it, CC - we make a good team! And I have to say that I hope all three eagles are having nice long naps today after having been up and out and about half the night!

I'm thinking it's not that long after the full moon - and fog is good for reflecting city lights, so it probably was much brighter than usual last night, which might be why there was more flying about.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:39 am

1138 - I have both streams going while I work. It's been mostly quiet with some far-off Eagle calls.

ADDED: Hearing more far-off eagle call. Get some rest guys!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:54 pm

CC398 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:39 am
1138 - I have both streams going while I work. It's been mostly quiet with some far-off Eagle calls.

Thanks for keeping any ear on things, CC - and wow - it sure was a busy night! I'm in the process of preparing 3 videos, one from the North cam covering 12:07 am to 12:13 am, and two from the South cam, one covering 12:07 to 12:20 and the other from 1:40 to 3:02 am. I've taken out a lot of sections from the South cam videos when nothing was happening beyond standing and looking, or dozing, so the clips are only 6-1/2 minutes and 8 minutes, though the time covered is 3 hours.

I'm going to put a description here so I can copy it when I upload the videos to YouTube.

A Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part x of 3

January 24 2022 - There was a lot of activity at our Surrey Reserve bald eagle cam nest last night - just as we began getting used to the two new eagles who have moved in, a third eagle appeared on the scene! The newcomer has some dark feathers on the head and tail, so not quite a full adult, but maybe close enough to be interested in nesting (or maybe just looking for food). I'm finding two things interesting - the fact that all three eagles were in the territory without a serious fight - and the fact that there was so much flying around at night. It did seem quite bright, maybe a combination of the moon and the fog reflecting light back, but still unusual. There are three videos to the story. The first is from the camera right over the nest - and it's looking at the tree holding the wide-view camera where one of the adults was perched. The second is from the South or wide-view cam and shows what was happening in the nest tree during that time. The third is also from the South cam and has the 8 minutes of activity between 1:40 am and 3:02 am (there were stretches where the eagles were just standing and looking around (which eagles do very well), and some dozing - but also some interesting interactions. I am not certain who is who; I suspect the sub-adult is male, but am not positive of that either.

Part 1 starts at 7 minutes past midnight, with one of the adults perched by the South cam and then joined by a second adult; they do a bit of jockeying around - they've been together less than a month so still getting comfortable with each other, and then one flies off, which is mostly of interest because of what's happening in the nest tree (Part 2). I almost missed one thing at about the 5:30 mark in the video - an eagle flies towards the one remaining on the branch and is rebuffed; the one on the branch flies off a moment later, at 12:13 am.

Part 2 also starts at 12:07 am, with an adult flying down into view from the upper branches of the nest tree, perching and calling briefly, then flying to join the other adult (Part 1); a minute later an eagle I think is the sub-adult lands in the nest and you can hear the two adults calling (they are perched close to the South cam which is recording the activity, so are louder than the eagle in the nest). The subadult flies off at 12:11 am, possibly to be rebuffed by the adult perched in the other tree. Someone comes flying in from the right, appearing to be chasing the sub-adult. There are several flights in and out of the tree (which were more spread out than they appear, then at the end an adult flies into the upper right corner of the screen and perches for the night.

Part 3 starts a little over an hour later when an eagle flies into the nest at 1:40 am; the eagle tries the perch on the right, then comes back to the nest, then spends about an hour on the perch on the left; at 2:54 someone flies by on the far right, and the eagle comes into the nest and does some calling after that (there's still one adult in the upper right corner), then flies off at 3:01 am; less than a minute later an eagle flies down from somewhere higher in the nest tree and heads off in the same direction (this one jumps around a lot because most of the time nothing was happening). Not included in the video - the adult who was perched above the nest through most of this flew off at 7:24 am. ~JudyB

You can watch the cams live at https://hancockwildlife.org/surrey-reserve-cams/

:vid: Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part 1 (6 min)

:vid: Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part 2 (6-1/2 min)

:vid: Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part 3 (8 min)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:17 pm

Monday, January 24
3:15 pm

Ken just called to let us know he needs to do some maintenance on his computer, so the embedded cams for Surrey, Delta and White Rock will be frozen or offline until the maintenance is finished and he can restart the streams. It's usually a fairly quick process.

The zoomer links should not be affected.

3:43 pm
Cams are back!

I'm not seeing anyone - guess they are taking it easy today!

I'm logging into the South cam quickly for a look at the upper branches.

Added - 3:47 am
I didn't see anyone hiding in the tree, and I'm now logged out of the cam.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm

5:40 pm
From the dvr....

One of the adults (female?) flew in at 5:21, calling as she landed.
20220124_009.jpg

Up to a higher perch at the right at 5:22 pm.
20220124_010.jpg

And we have a zoomer! Not sure who this is, other than knowing it's not the sub-adult we saw yesterday. The general body shape looks more female to me, but the males do fluff up quite a bit when it's chilly.
20220124_011.jpg

It's now 5:47 pm, and the adult is still there, possibly tucked in for a little snooze.
20220124_012.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:02 pm

Switching to the North cam dvr....

5:15 pm
An eagle flew across from the right, and headed to the upper branch of the south cam tree.
20220124_013.jpg

5:18 pm
I had a look at the tail, and it's not the sub-adult, though I'm not sure which adult it is - this one also looks big!
20220124_014.jpg

Good job zooming - but really hard to get a clear look with all the branches around, and our cams are not made to look up.

5:21 pm
I'm thinking this may be the female - maybe a trace of shadow on the head, and the voice sounded maybe a little deeper?
20220124_015.jpg

Ah well - there are two adult eagles here, and as of 6 pm, both are perched near the nest and already asleep after their busy night.
20220124_016.jpg

I think I'll follow their lead - good night, people and eagles. :offtobed:

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:02 am

TUESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 am

Good morning SR friends

0714 - Some Eagle chatter from one or both of them. It looks like they stayed put all night long and hopefully got some rest

DVR Rollback: Both Eagles were in that same spot throughout the night. Lani sent me a message at about 1038 telling me the Eagles were calling. I rolled back and saw they were both calling at that time but it was short-lived and they went back to sleep. Thanks Lani!
Attachments
3.jpg
4.jpg

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:30 am

0727 - North Cam Eagle flew first, followed by the other.

The Fog is here again
Attachments
2.jpg

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:32 am

JudyB wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:54 pm
CC398 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks for keeping any ear on things, CC - and wow - it sure was a busy night! I'm in the process of preparing 3 videos, one from the North cam covering 12:07 am to 12:13 am, and two from the South cam, one covering 12:07 to 12:20 and the other from 1:40 to 3:02 am. I've taken out a lot of sections from the South cam videos when nothing was happening beyond standing and looking, or dozing, so the clips are only 6-1/2 minutes and 8 minutes, though the time covered is 3 hours.

I'm going to put a description here so I can copy it when I upload the videos to YouTube.

A Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part x of 3

January 24 2022 - There was a lot of activity at our Surrey Reserve bald eagle cam nest last night - just as we began getting used to the two new eagles who have moved in, a third eagle appeared on the scene! The newcomer has some dark feathers on the head and tail, so not quite a full adult, but maybe close enough to be interested in nesting (or maybe just looking for food). I'm finding two things interesting - the fact that all three eagles were in the territory without a serious fight - and the fact that there was so much flying around at night. It did seem quite bright, maybe a combination of the moon and the fog reflecting light back, but still unusual. There are three videos to the story. The first is from the camera right over the nest - and it's looking at the tree holding the wide-view camera where one of the adults was perched. The second is from the South or wide-view cam and shows what was happening in the nest tree during that time. The third is also from the South cam and has the 8 minutes of activity between 1:40 am and 3:02 am (there were stretches where the eagles were just standing and looking around (which eagles do very well), and some dozing - but also some interesting interactions. I am not certain who is who; I suspect the sub-adult is male, but am not positive of that either.

Part 1 starts at 7 minutes past midnight, with one of the adults perched by the South cam and then joined by a second adult; they do a bit of jockeying around - they've been together less than a month so still getting comfortable with each other, and then one flies off, which is mostly of interest because of what's happening in the nest tree (Part 2). I almost missed one thing at about the 5:30 mark in the video - an eagle flies towards the one remaining on the branch and is rebuffed; the one on the branch flies off a moment later, at 12:13 am.

Part 2 also starts at 12:07 am, with an adult flying down into view from the upper branches of the nest tree, perching and calling briefly, then flying to join the other adult (Part 1); a minute later an eagle I think is the sub-adult lands in the nest and you can hear the two adults calling (they are perched close to the South cam which is recording the activity, so are louder than the eagle in the nest). The subadult flies off at 12:11 am, possibly to be rebuffed by the adult perched in the other tree. Someone comes flying in from the right, appearing to be chasing the sub-adult. There are several flights in and out of the tree (which were more spread out than they appear, then at the end an adult flies into the upper right corner of the screen and perches for the night.

Part 3 starts a little over an hour later when an eagle flies into the nest at 1:40 am; the eagle tries the perch on the right, then comes back to the nest, then spends about an hour on the perch on the left; at 2:54 someone flies by on the far right, and the eagle comes into the nest and does some calling after that (there's still one adult in the upper right corner), then flies off at 3:01 am; less than a minute later an eagle flies down from somewhere higher in the nest tree and heads off in the same direction (this one jumps around a lot because most of the time nothing was happening). Not included in the video - the adult who was perched above the nest through most of this flew off at 7:24 am. ~JudyB

You can watch the cams live at https://hancockwildlife.org/surrey-reserve-cams/

:vid: Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part 1 (6 min)

:vid: Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part 2 (6-1/2 min)

:vid: Busy Night at Surrey Reserve - Part 3 (8 min)
Fantastic! thanks so much

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:42 am

8:41 am
Someone just landed on the nest with food - I'm on both cams.

I think the food is rabbit, possibly roadkill; it looks quite dead. I don't know which eagle.
20220125_001.jpg

I'm leaning towards new female, but she(?) is moving too fast for me to get good s'caps without recording first. Tail looks dirty but I haven't seen the sub-adult's dark stripe and I don't see dark on the head, or at least not enough.
20220125_002.jpg

Definitely not "Barely Legal" - that was interesting, but I hope they have moved on.
20220125_003.jpg

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”