Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Re: Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Post by Sandy_W » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:45 am

6:45 am checked the rollback for last night and didn't see any activity. Very quiet as daybreak is beginning to occur.
2022-10-03_8-45-12.jpg
11:05 am checked the north cam rollback and all is still quiet except for birds chirping.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:12 pm

3:12pm......IN on both cams.
Checked the rollback.....did not see any eagles since the last post.

3:34pm....OFF both cams.

No eagles.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:54 pm

1743 - Good evening SR friends. Around the Fraser Valley I am still seeing Turkey Vultures kettling and the odd yearling Eagle, but none of the adult urban BE's, except for 2 pair that have been fighting for territory all summer along the Fraser River where I kayak at least twice weekly.

Res returned on September 25, 2021, but Sur didn't join her for another 10 days after that... so I'm patiently waiting of course. :w00t:

I'm logging into the cams.

ADDED: Took a quick look around and checked the stream since Jean's last post, but no Eagles seen/heard yet
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:32 pm

1931 - and that's a wrap on another day. I did one last check on SM's and SF's night-time spot and can confirm no Eagles have been seen/heard since my last update.

Good night all :bye 1:
Attachments
4.jpg
5.jpg
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:00 am

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:11 am

7:45 am in rollback, no activity in the nest last night from around 8:00 pm on. At 7:43 am this morning, two squirrels show up. One scurrying all over the nest and other seems interested in something to eat.
2022-10-04_10-08-07.jpg
2022-10-04_10-08-24.jpg
2022-10-04_10-08-39.jpg
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:12 am

0812 - I checked both streams and saw no Eagle activity since my last post

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:13 am

7:51 am in rollback, after checking out something to possibly eat the gray squirrel is off and shortly followed by the other squirrel.
2022-10-04_10-11-25.jpg
2022-10-04_10-11-51.jpg
2022-10-04_10-12-07.jpg
As of 8:11 am still no eagles to the nest.

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:57 am

11:56 am checked the rollback and didn't see any nest activity. Logging into the south cam for a look around.

12:10 pm logging of the south cam. Pretty afternoon but didn't see any eagles. 12:18 pm logged into the south cam to set patrol.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Thanks, CC and Sandy! Have to admit I'm eager to see them return - but from all I've been hearing, all the eagles are slow returning this year.

I'm going to copy the "Updates" from the Live Cams page here - useful for me to refer to as I write the summary for 2022 on that page.

Surrey Reserve Nest Information

There have been eagles in this territory for at least 20 years – but these cams show a new nest set up in the fall of 2018 to replace one that blew down. Happily for us, the eagles named Sur (M) and Res (F) for Surrey Reserve accepted the nest and successfully raised two chicks in 2019; as of the fall of 2021, they have successfully raised 6 young eagles. The Surrey Reserve is a tract of land set aside for the eagles in an area of rapid development (read more about that below) and fortunately the eagles don’t seem to mind the construction in their back yard – and perhaps they’re taking notes: 2020’s nest preparation looked much plusher than the perfectly adequate nest of 2019.

Updates

The last visit to the nest for the 2020-2021 season was July 22, though we were occasionally seeing or hearing eagles calling until mid August. Mom Res was back in the area the evening of September 25; as of noon on September 30, we hadn’t seen Dad Sur (though we might have heard him call once or twice) and Res has only made a couple of visits – so I think they were still in vacation mode! (Note – that is humanizing it – scientifically speaking, what they were doing is recovering from the hard work of raising two hungry chicks and becoming strong and well nourished enough to do it all over again in a few months.)

Sur returned October 5, and as of late October/early November they were spending a bit of time at the nest most days, bringing in a few sticks and beginning to get ready. That all changed on November 11, 2021, when another adult landed on the nest. The following day we observed a series of confrontations which we believed were between the intruder and one of our resident pair, though they all happened too fast for us to identify the eagles involved. It took us a while (see the timeline on our forum for more details), but we determined that the intruder was a male – and November 12 was the last time we saw Sur. We enjoyed watching him these past three years, and hope he is alive and well, and working on a new nest.

Res and the intruder we began to call New Male were seen together a few days later, and on November 21, he brought a food offering to her at the nest, which she accepted. The male did have a habit of trying to grab food from Res (perhaps this is his first time nesting?) but quickly learned that she was the boss of the nest, and they spent time perched together, so I was expecting them to become the new resident pair. And then Res disappeared. She and the new male did some work on the nest the afternoon of December 23rd; she flew off; he did a bit more puttering, then he flew off. And we haven’t seen her since then.

The next few days were cold and snowy, with only a couple of quick visits by an adult we think was the new male, though they were quick visits sometimes in poor light. Then on December 31 we saw an adult on the nest who was clearly not Sur, Res or the new male – and as time went by, we determined that this was a female, and as of January 23, 2022, she and the new male appear to be on track to become the new resident pair at this nest.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm

Thanks for bringing that forward. I should go dig out photos of the pair so everyone knows who to look for.

I was excited to get home to report Eagle activity in Yarrow and Abbotsford today.

I was on a zoom call in my truck but also had Delta2 and Surrey streams running in the background - at 1517 I heard an Eagle calling, quickly closed out of Delta and left Surrey running - it was heard again at 1529 - after my zoom call I rolled back and it wasn't SR either so I knew it must be a local Eagle near the border by one of the landfills and the fish hatchery where I see them frequently. The crows that hang out there were quite agitated too.

30 mins ago I was in Yarrow (in between Chilliwack and Abbotsford) and saw one of the local adults perched where they perch by No. 3 Road. :)

Yes, the Eagles are absolutely returning!

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm

1727 - We have a little Eastern Grey Squirrel in the nest, very engaged with whatever that piece of wood contains.
Attachments
6.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:46 pm

CC398 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm
Thanks for bringing that forward. I should go dig out photos of the pair so everyone knows who to look for.

I was excited to get home to report Eagle activity in Yarrow and Abbotsford today.

I was on a zoom call in my truck but also had Delta2 and Surrey streams running in the background - at 1517 I heard an Eagle calling, quickly closed out of Delta and left Surrey running - it was heard again at 1529 - after my zoom call I rolled back and it wasn't SR either so I knew it must be a local Eagle near the border by one of the landfills and the fish hatchery where I see them frequently. The crows that hang out there were quite agitated too.

30 mins ago I was in Yarrow (in between Chilliwack and Abbotsford) and saw one of the local adults perched where they perch by No. 3 Road. :)

Yes, the Eagles are absolutely returning!
Thanks, CC! I think the pair who moved in last year are young, so they may already look a bit different than last year - but it would be great to have a starting point! :thumlft:

And while the Delta 2 eagles haven't been seen yet, one of the observers there has reported that some of the other eagles in the area are back - so I think it will be happening soon. :)

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:58 pm

I'm in on the South Cam

ADDED: I'm off the south cam. No Eagles seen or heard this day at the SR.

Good night! :bye 1:

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:15 pm

7:10pm.....IN on S cam.........need a close look at something.

Couldn't see what I was looking at in the distance.....zooming in on it didn't work.

Nice sunset again. Birds flying past in a flock.

1.JPG
OFF S cam.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”